Garmin help/ or do you have an old one to sell?

Faye

Jan 24, 2016, 9:26:51 PM1/24/16
to SF2G
My Edge 500 from 2011 has been slowly dying over the last 1.5 years or so, and today, I just cannot get any computer to recognize it when I plug into the USB port (I tried both a Mac and a PC).  I wonder if the final straw was getting stuck in downpours yesterday after lots of rainy rides over the last few weeks.

1)Is there anything I can do to get today's ride off the computer and onto Strava?  This is actually my highest priority at the moment, but if no computer recognizes the garmin, how could I do this?

2)Any idea if there is a hope of rescuing the garmin?  It did work to track my ride just fine... the elevation, miles, etc all seemed to be totally correct on the garmin screen.  It is just that I can;t get any computers to find the device?

3)Does anyone have a garmin they no longer use that they woudl want to sell for cheap? (I make $11/hour in my part-time job in the emergency room, so a new garmin is not in the cards for me :)  )

Thanks a million!!!!

all the best,
Faye

Peter Colijn

Jan 24, 2016, 10:50:02 PM1/24/16
to faye steiner, SF2G

I find different cables can make a difference, if you haven't already tried that.

Also if you believe it might be due to getting wet, let it dry out for a while (maybe in rice). I got my 500 soaked a few times and it had 'difficulties' right after the ride(s) but perked up a few days later.

---

Christine Ryan

Jan 24, 2016, 11:00:57 PM1/24/16
to caff...@colijn.ca, faye steiner, SF2G
If you can't get it working again, I have a 500 you can use...let me know!
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Zak Jarvis

Jan 25, 2016, 12:24:53 AM1/25/16
to SF2G
A small warning about switching Garmins around.

Back when I was living in SoCal, for various reasons I plugged my Garmin into my bike shop's computer to update it.

Ever since, Garmin Connect occasionally registers rides for someone associated with the shop on my Garmin account. I just talked to the bike shop about it a few days ago and I think it's all cleared up, but be aware that there can be weird issues with Garmin units that are associated with multiple different accounts.

I *think* the key thing is to be sure the device is deleted from any accounts it's not being used on.

(Some of you may have seen me riding a bunch on Strava recently -- that wasn't me.)

faye steiner

Jan 25, 2016, 2:39:47 AM1/25/16
to Peter Colijn, SF2G
Hmm, I have not tried another cable because I do not have the right kind of cable, but I can see that that could be a good idea if I could find one to borrow... the garmin itself really seems to be functioning, and when I plug into the computer it charges/ gets powered on, etc.  It is just that the computer can't recognize it...  The place where you plug the cable in the garmin seems kind of corroded looking.  It occurred to me that while initially I had trouble yesterday after my downpour and flood ride, the computer DID recognize it then, so maybe the rain is not the issue... also for a few seconds after trying intermittently for the last 7 hours, my computer did seem to see the garmin in the finder, but by the time I opened strava to upload, it would disappear and tell me the disk was not ejected properly :(  If anyone has additional thoughts or advice on how to get today's ride off the garmin, I would be grateful!

Thanks!!

all the best,
Faye

Matthew Hiller

Jan 25, 2016, 10:12:57 AM1/25/16
to SF2G, caff...@colijn.ca
For what it's worth, power and data are carried on different wires within the USB cable. It's possible that a corroded socket on the device would lead to problems moving data but still work for charging. Similarly, a damaged cable may be good for one and not the other. (Gory details at http://computer.howstuffworks.com/usb4.htm )

Good luck!

scott :)

Jan 25, 2016, 1:18:01 PM1/25/16
to SF2G
Email/Call Garmin,  I think I paid $75 to have my Garmin Edge 305 repaired after crashing and being broken in two, but still semi functional.  They sent me a new/refurbished unit.

Christine Windsor

Jan 25, 2016, 3:46:09 PM1/25/16
to faye steiner, Peter Colijn, SF2G
If it's a cable issue, or you just want to check if that's the issue, I'm sure we have one. (I'm not sure which one it is that you need but we have an abundance of cables.)
If you can't think of anything else, we could drop one off at your house this weekend. We rode passed on sunday and I'm hoping to do another east bay ride this weekend - I want to find the poutinerie.

Ken MacInnis

Jan 25, 2016, 3:47:36 PM1/25/16
to chri...@colijn.ca, faye steiner, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Some USB cables are power-only. Usually supplied with cheap electronics. I'd definitely make sure you're using a known-good cable, especially if this is a new one you haven't used before.

faye steiner

Jan 25, 2016, 5:03:44 PM1/25/16
to Ken MacInnis, christine colijn, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Well, I've been using the same cable for 5 years, and it is the one that came with the garmin...  After intermittently trying for another few hours this morning, I managed to get the computer to recognize the garmin- I have no idea how, and it is flakey and not consistent.  The thing in the garmin where the cable inserts looks a little rusty or corroded or something, tho not sure if/how I would would clean it.. (?)

But Christine, if you guys are in the hood, I would be up for trying an extra cable if you have one to see if it works.  I think the Poutinerie is in downtown Berkeley and I can help with a route :)

I'm not too optimistic about this garmin, but at least I got yesterday's ride off of it.

Jacky Schuler

Jan 25, 2016, 6:12:46 PM1/25/16
to Faye Steiner, Peter Colijn, SF2G, christine colijn, Ken MacInnis

I don't remember exactly how to do it but I'd try booting the Garmin into disk mode, copying the Activites folder, and uploading to Strava.

Also, I was able to mount my corrupted iPod to a Linux machine when my Mac wouldn't mount it. It was read-only but I was able to copy most of the files off of it, despite the HD having some major issues. Perhaps it was just luck but I'd imagine it's less picky about that stuff than OS X. If you have access to a Linux machine, it's worth a try.

Zak Stern

Jan 27, 2016, 1:45:43 AM1/27/16
to SF2G
My old garmin used to miraculously spring to life when I plugged it into the wall outlet (and not the USB port). I don't know why but this happened more than once when I thought the unit was dead...try plugging into a wall and then the PC?

Jacky Schuler

Jan 27, 2016, 6:34:23 PM1/27/16
to zak....@gmail.com, SF2G
Man, Garmins suck. I did a 75-mile ride today and the Activity isn't showing up. Anybody have any tricks for recovering lost data? Perhaps a temp file stored somewhere? I can't seem to find anything but I figure if anybody knows how, it's here.

I'm pissed and I will never again buy a Garmin. This happens way too often.

-- Jacky

Jacky Schuler

Jan 27, 2016, 7:36:00 PM1/27/16
to Zak Stern, SF2G
Nevermind, date was wrong. Ride is there. Yay!!

-- Jacky