OT: Increase in random kudos on Strava?

Justin!

Sep 29, 2016, 1:32:16 PM9/29/16
to SF2G
I have enhanced privacy turned on but I'm recently seeing an increase in random non-local people giving kudos to multiple activities of mine. They are not following me, so I'm not even sure how this is possible short of finding my individual activities.

Anyone else seeing this? Anything to be concerned with?

Thomas Roessler

Sep 29, 2016, 1:33:34 PM9/29/16
to roja...@gmail.com, SF2G
I have the same, was wondering whether it's a consequence of the sf2g Strava club.

On Thursday, September 29, 2016, Justin! <roja...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have enhanced privacy turned on but I'm recently seeing an increase in random non-local people giving kudos to multiple activities of mine.  They are not following me, so I'm not even sure how this is possible short of finding my individual activities.

Anyone else seeing this?  Anything to be concerned with?

---

Thomas Roessler  (@roessler)

Peter Colijn

Justin!

Sep 29, 2016, 1:42:56 PM9/29/16
to SF2G
Ah, makes sense.

Bruce Garretson

Oct 2, 2016, 5:18:23 PM10/2/16
to SF2G
Does anybody know who Dr. Ruslan is?

Thomas Roessler

Oct 2, 2016, 8:47:37 PM10/2/16
to bruce.g...@gmail.com, SF2G
Oh, I'm not the only one?

---

Thomas Roessler  (@roessler)

Robert Griesmeyer

Oct 2, 2016, 8:47:55 PM10/2/16
to SF2G
This should be outlawed. Personally, if a stranger gives me a thumbs up on the street, I call the police.

Peter Colijn

Oct 2, 2016, 9:29:18 PM10/2/16
to Robert Griesmeyer, SF2G

Seriously? IMHO, if somebody wants to kudo my ride, that's fine by me even if I don't know them.

There are options strava provides if you're concerned that random people might figure out where you live etc. If you really don't want people to know about your rides, don't post them on strava, or mark them as private. Strava is a _social_ network, after all.

On 2 Oct 2016 5:47 pm, "Robert Griesmeyer" <gri...@gmail.com> wrote:
This should be outlawed.  Personally, if a stranger gives me a thumbs up on the street,  I call the police.

Bruce Garretson

Oct 2, 2016, 11:28:20 PM10/2/16
to SF2G, gri...@gmail.com
I have had people in the past try to use this as a marketing platform so am a bit curious when I get kudos from people that do not seem to be connected to me.

Matthew Hiller

Oct 3, 2016, 2:07:07 PM10/3/16
to SF2G, gri...@gmail.com
I might like it if I could "soft block" people like Dr Ruslan when I have no idea who they are.

Certainly, I don't need notifications about his likes on my phone, or in the Web notification bell. Probably hide their number from the Kudos number when I'm viewing the ride as myself (as opposed to, say, viewing the ride page from an incognito window) too, those this seems less important.

Andrew Stadler

Oct 3, 2016, 4:29:25 PM10/3/16
to Matthew Hiller, SF2G, Robert Griesmeyer

Some random dude named "Levi" something just gave me kudos for my "morning ride"on Saturday....

Jeffrey Skokan

Oct 4, 2016, 4:43:22 PM10/4/16
to SF2G
Are you sure it's not Levi Leipheimer giving you kudos for doing his Gran Fondo?

Dave Blizard

Oct 4, 2016, 5:04:56 PM10/4/16
to Jeffrey Skokan, SF2G
Levi gave a bunch of Strava users Kudos last year, including myself. Excitement quickly dissolved into feeling like a tool very quickly.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Jeffrey Skokan <jsk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Are you sure it's not Levi Leipheimer giving you kudos for doing his Gran Fondo?
---

Bret Lobree

Oct 4, 2016, 5:14:58 PM10/4/16
to Dave Blizard, Jeffrey Skokan, SF2G
yeah...that last year Levi thing felt like a marketing thing as they were on random rides in Sonoma County. If he gave me kudos for participating in his event as a thanks, I'd be cool with that.

As a rider with many followers I don't know, getting kudos from people I don't know is just part of the deal (I assume Colijn collected followers and Kudos from publicity of his longer rides on the social medias). If you don't want kudos from people who find your rides, make them private. I occasionally give kudos to people I don't know if they have done something particularly noteworthy or did a ride with people I do know. As for Dr R. and others, they eventually stop giving you kudos if you don't give them kudos...It's all good.

my 2 cents,
1T

Ted Ketai

Oct 5, 2016, 2:08:28 PM10/5/16
to Bret Lobree, Dave Blizard, Jeffrey Skokan, SF2G
Do people not just make their accounts private and not approve followers they don't know? Seems pretty simple.

Judd Blair

Oct 5, 2016, 2:15:03 PM10/5/16
to Ted Ketai, Bret Lobree, Dave Blizard, Jeffrey Skokan, SF2G
Or, alternatively, not care? Mine's not private, if some random dude wants to give me a thumbs up for a trainer workout, that's fine with me.

Ted Ketai

Oct 5, 2016, 2:22:46 PM10/5/16
to Judd Blair, Bret Lobree, Dave Blizard, Jeffrey Skokan, SF2G
Main reason to have your account private is so that bike thieves can't use strava to find out where the expensive bikes are being kept. Might be paranoid, but can't hurt. Also may help avoid the eyes of rangers in certain areas.

katie evans

Oct 5, 2016, 4:26:47 PM10/5/16
to SF2G
not sure if this has been mentioned but there is a feature on the strava iphone app where you can kudo multiple people quickly. if you have the ride open and click on the list of people who did the ride, then shake your phone, it prompts you with an option to kudo your friends or everyone. hence flooding the ether with more kudos!

djconnel

Oct 5, 2016, 7:28:25 PM10/5/16
to SF2G
If I'm looking at a segment I did and I see who has the KOM, I'll often kudo his activity (assuming I don't flag it :)), even though we don't know each other.  I think it's sort of cool to get a kudo from a total stranger.

Andrew Stadler

Oct 5, 2016, 8:26:02 PM10/5/16
to Jeffrey Skokan, SF2G
On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Jeffrey Skokan <jsk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Are you sure it's not Levi Leipheimer giving you kudos for doing his Gran Fondo?

I guess I didn't use enough sarcasm quotes :)  Yea, it was definitely him.

Justin!

Jun 2, 2017, 1:32:34 PM6/2/17
to SF2G
I want to revisit this thread because this morning I got 32 kudos from randos on a short hike I did in 2011. It is very weird. Anyone else seeing similar activity?

Peter Colijn

Jun 2, 2017, 5:46:26 PM6/2/17
to A Roja, SF2G
Have you tried searching for the activity URL in google? Somebody may have linked it from a blog or twitter or something.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Justin! <roja...@gmail.com> wrote:
I want to revisit this thread because this morning I got 32 kudos from randos on a short hike I did in 2011.  It is very weird. Anyone else seeing similar activity?
---

Eric Manuel

Jun 2, 2017, 5:57:49 PM6/2/17
to SF2G, roja...@gmail.com
I get a few random kudos, I assume they come from one of the few groups that I'm in.   for example the GCN group, where Peter is Last Week's Leader for Longest Ride! (epic)

A few ideas.

1.  I've noticed that Steve Stein is on the "Today" top list for most of the segments of bex, EVERY DAY.  (from the phone app) this ride was 06/14/2011.   Some corruption or something shows it as a daily top time (top because the pace they went that day was fast).
2.  You can see people on 'fly-by' if you haven't blocked it  (though an old hike doesn't make sense there).
3.  I'm not sure if you can see any ride that shows up on the top rankings.   I have a feeling you can, so if you happen to have a top time then people clicking through would see the hike and be able to kudos it.

:D