The CHP can go f**k themselves

John Murphy

Sep 21, 2016, 5:34:40 PM9/21/16
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Driver crosses into oncoming cyclists to pass a grape truck, kills
cyclist

“He was legally passing in the sense that he was allowed to do so,”
Bahlman said. (Sgt in the CHP)

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/6077825-181/boyfriend-blames-pickup-in-sebastopol?artslide=0

Today we had another one, I don't have all the details but there is a
reason to suspect at the very least imprudent riding

CHP: Cyclist cuts between traffic, dies after falling into path of
trailer rig on River Road
http://www.pressdemocrat.com//news/local/6113180-181/fatal-river-road-crash-involving?artslide=0

Darrin Ward

Sep 21, 2016, 5:41:17 PM9/21/16
to John Murphy, SF2G
"The man’s death is the 11th in four weeks along Sonoma County roads, including drivers, passengers and bike riders."

wow so 3 people die a week in sonoma county from cars?  sonoma county isnt that populated.

---

Dave Blizard

Sep 21, 2016, 5:44:29 PM9/21/16
to John Murphy, SF2G
and after reading the article regarding Amy Suyama's untimely death. She was riding in a sanctioned event called "Tour de Fuzz" - a fundraising ride benefiting the law enforcement chaplaincy.

ugg.. so sorry to hear about this.

The second article is missing so many details.. but yeah, immediately judgment goes to blame cyclist.

"While the 8:30 a.m. crash remained under investigation the rider appeared to have made an unsafe move just before he crashed, said CHP Officer Jon Sloat."

Was one of these trucks blocking the bike lane forcing the cyclist to make an "unsafe" maneuver?

John Murphy

Sep 21, 2016, 5:51:19 PM9/21/16
to Dave Blizard, SF2G
I'm not even sure there is a bike lane there, it's at the least a wide shoulder though. This is the spot where the WIne Country Century starts with the crappy part of River Road. No idea what really happened. The same asshole - "CHP Officer Jon Sloat" who also excused the crazy driver who passed into oncoming cyclists on Highway one.

The Press Democrat is becoming a complete rag.

Georgia Andrews

Sep 21, 2016, 6:13:42 PM9/21/16
to ta...@murphstahoe.com, John Murphy, Dave Blizard, SF2G
Isn't it illegal to pass if you don't have room to do so, aka there's not oncoming traffic? (re: grape truck passing)

-~-~-~-~-

Dave Blizard

Sep 21, 2016, 6:41:05 PM9/21/16
to John Murphy, SF2G
Please remind me to stop reading comments.

John Murphy

Sep 21, 2016, 6:48:50 PM9/21/16
to Georgia Andrews, Dave Blizard, SF2G
The CHP is investigating to see if cyclists count as oncoming traffic.

I'm not sure if I am joking or not.

Murph

Ted Lesher_

Sep 21, 2016, 7:29:26 PM9/21/16
to SF2G, and.ge...@gmail.com, daveb...@gmail.com
yea still don't understand how “He was legally passing in the sense that he was allowed to do so,” when he uh... killed somebody who was using the road legally??? That really makes no sense

---

Peter Colijn

Sep 21, 2016, 7:47:16 PM9/21/16
to Ted Lesher, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, Dave Blizard
Unfortunately (and frustratingly), traffic laws are pretty vague and there's no guarantee that if everyone follows the rules, nobody will die. For example many things in the CVC just say you can do something if it's "safe to do so". Well that's a judgment call. Safe according to whom? etc.

Kurt Wallace Martin

Sep 21, 2016, 8:13:33 PM9/21/16
to ta...@murphstahoe.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
He was legally killing in that he used a motor vehicle to do so.

djconnel

Sep 21, 2016, 9:28:11 PM9/21/16
to SF2G, ta...@murphstahoe.com
Exactly.  Cops have their own version of code they enforce and put into police reports, and it has little to do with what is written.  Indeed I doubt many of them have actually read what is written.

Robert Griesmeyer

Sep 21, 2016, 10:12:27 PM9/21/16
to SF2G
If the truck passed and hit an oncoming car then it would be an illegal act.  Therefore, it should be illegal in this case as well.  Class action lawsuit for CHP not prosecuting according to CA law?

Matthew Hiller

Sep 22, 2016, 4:46:14 PM9/22/16
to SF2G, and.ge...@gmail.com, daveb...@gmail.com
The hell you say.

Bikes are not vehicles, but cyclists assume all the rights and responsibilities of vehicle drivers. Including maintaining their right of way while traveling straight in the indicated direction over a driver going the other way attempting to execute a pass that encroaches on oncoming lanes.

---