Wheel recommendations for complete wheelset

ยอดดู 85 ครั้ง
ข้ามไปที่ข้อความที่ยังไม่อ่านรายการแรก

Justin!

ยังไม่อ่าน,
21 มิ.ย. 2560 19:51:1221/6/60
ถึง SF2G
I have almost 15k miles on my wheels (Mavic Ksyrium ES) and LBS says I should replace them. I want to go with something straightforward and was planning to just buy a complete wheelset for convenience.

Any thoughts on these or others (I'm 150 lbs):

Fulcrum Racing 3 -- $368

Ultegra 6800 -- $340

Powertap G3 DT Swiss R460 -- $799 (might be avail cheaper) (thought getting a power meter would be fun but not if the wheels are much worse than the others - weight is only about 250g more than the two above)

Ksyrium Elite (not recommended by my LBS)

Goal is to get wheels that are reliable, light, and fast for commuting and hilly recreational riding. My Mavics were great and I only recall truing once or twice in 15k miles. I don't think I've ever broken a spoke except once when the derailleur went into the wheel.

Ken MacInnis

ยังไม่อ่าน,
21 มิ.ย. 2560 19:55:2021/6/60
ถึง roja...@gmail.com, SF2G
Shout out to Boyd wheels. Same Taiwan components, great support. Sounds like an Altamont Lite alu clincher would be up your alley (this is the hot boy ceramic coated version):

http://www.boydcycling.com/shop/road-rim-brake/altamont-lite-ceramic-coated-front-wheel-copy/

Power meters are fun, and Boyd can build in a G3, but I might consider holding off for a good crank or pedal solution at this point. Hub meters are great but less flexible, and the crank/pedal ones are getting better.

Ken
---

Ben Kraft

ยังไม่อ่าน,
21 มิ.ย. 2560 20:40:5421/6/60
ถึง ken.ma...@gmail.com, roja...@gmail.com, SF2G
FYI: I recently broke a spoke on my Ultegra 6700's (similar to the 6800s) and I've had a lot of trouble getting it replaced. Generic straight pull spokes of the correct length should be compatible, however, bay area bike shops will only install the official replacements from Shimano and these are hard to find. When I first broke the spoke on the Sausalito bike path, both Mike's and another shops "mechanics" refused to sell me standard straight pull replacements because they were so sure they weren't compatible. I ended up having to mess up the tension of the surrounding spokes to get the wheel true enough to ride home and ordered the official replacements online.

So while it is awesome shimano designed the wheels to use generic spokes, it isn't very useful if nobody will sell them to you.

Ben Blizard

ยังไม่อ่าน,
21 มิ.ย. 2560 21:45:2021/6/60
ถึง Ben Kraft, Ken MacInnis, A Roja, SF2G
You're going to a different Mike's than I am!

I busted a aero butted spoke on my fancy carbon rims several months
ago, and I had to keep the tech at MB Berkeley from replacing that DT
aero spoke with some wack-ass generic non-butted spoke. Depends on who
you get?

+1 to power meters that are not in the wheels

Those boyds look nice.
Ben Blizard
Voice: (650) 450-0037

Viet-Trung Luu

ยังไม่อ่าน,
21 มิ.ย. 2560 22:51:3021/6/60
ถึง Ben Kraft, Ken MacInnis, A Roja, SF2G
I don't know if it's still the case, but The Freewheel was a Shimano Service Center, and stocked (or could otherwise order, if necessary) Shimano spokes. (Presumably they could order other parts as well. Most U.S. shops can only get what QBP lists. On the other hand, you can get just about any current Shimano part from European dealers, and I've had luck doing so.)

Also, maybe shops will sell you spokes if you just tell them the length/gauge/type and don't tell them what kind of wheel you have (or just lie)....

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 16:51 Justin! <roja...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

21 มิ.ย. 2560 23:04:2821/6/60
ถึง Viet-Trung Luu, Ken MacInnis, A Roja, SF2G
Freewheel insisted that I bring the wheel in even though I knew the spoke length and the Shimano part number and was willing to buy the part even if it didn't work. I'm guessing they  wanted to install it and true the wheel and there's no money in small parts but I kinda hate them for this.

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 7:51 PM Viet-Trung Luu <viettr...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

21 มิ.ย. 2560 23:15:3521/6/60
ถึง Ben Kraft, Ken MacInnis, A Roja, SF2G
Heh, the first time I got a spoke from them, I had them install it and true the wheel. They didn't do a good job, despite the cost.

The second time (<cough> see "didn't do a good job"), I just bought the spoke (since I wanted to re-tension the wheel). The owner complained about the lack of profit in doing so. I guess he solved that by no longer selling parts alone. (Frankly, I'm sympathetic to the economics of it and I'd be willing to pay more for such parts, even though Shimano spokes are overpriced to begin with.)

---

---

Zak Jarvis

ยังไม่อ่าน,
22 มิ.ย. 2560 17:18:5822/6/60
ถึง viettr...@gmail.com, Ben Kraft, Ken MacInnis, A Roja, SF2G
I've been running Fulcrum Racing 5's on my carbon bike for about 5k and they've been completely trouble-free.

---

---

---

Marcelo Vanzin

ยังไม่อ่าน,
22 มิ.ย. 2560 20:00:3422/6/60
ถึง SF2G
Wonder why the hate for the Ksyriums...

I still ride my original Equipe on front, only ever had a bent spoke after a crash. The rear got a hairline crack after about 16k miles on it, I got another Ksyrium (plain, with no extra appendices to the name) and it's been great.

Ken MacInnis

ยังไม่อ่าน,
22 มิ.ย. 2560 20:39:2522/6/60
ถึง van...@cloudera.com, SF2G
No ability to get replacement parts. Good wheels but no need to support mavic's biz practices.
--

Cordelia Link

ยังไม่อ่าน,
22 มิ.ย. 2560 22:07:3222/6/60
ถึง SF2G, van...@cloudera.com

Darrin Ward

ยังไม่อ่าน,
23 มิ.ย. 2560 01:56:4623/6/60
ถึง Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
oh i can sort of answer this one.  i will admit i am a special case.

the failure mode i experienced is pretty terrible.  several times i ended up cracking the rim where the spoke meets the rim and i did this within several thousand miles.  this is substantially different then the standard failure mode i have had with most rims (where i ended up just wearing down the rims or having to flexible of a rim such that the hub fails apart).  mavic refused to believe me about the failure mode even with pictures and i ended up needing to rebuild really often.

there are several different models of kysriums but for the price point building a custom set was a much better option.  spent a little bit more and got a much better set of wheels.  better/lighter rims and a more engaging hub.  those ended also failing but not nearly as fast and not for the same reasons.

so yeah i sort of did not like the ksyriums or mavic for that matter.

---

Ben Kochie

ยังไม่อ่าน,
23 มิ.ย. 2560 02:10:3923/6/60
ถึง van...@cloudera.com, SF2G
Yea, I have about 15k miles on my Ksyrium elites, the only minor complaint is that I need to clean and lube the freehub once a year.  Everything else about them has been perfect.

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 2:00 AM, Marcelo Vanzin <van...@cloudera.com> wrote:

--

Jason Thorpe

ยังไม่อ่าน,
23 มิ.ย. 2560 02:11:4823/6/60
ถึง Darrin Ward, Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G

On Jun 22, 2017, at 10:56 PM, Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com> wrote:

so yeah i sort of did not like the ksyriums or mavic for that matter.

I like Mavic for the Open Pro.

-- thorpej

Darrin Ward

ยังไม่อ่าน,
23 มิ.ย. 2560 02:13:3123/6/60
ถึง Jason Thorpe, Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
there are much better rims out there these days.

see hed.

Jason Thorpe

ยังไม่อ่าน,
23 มิ.ย. 2560 03:03:1123/6/60
On Jun 22, 2017, at 11:13 PM, Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com> wrote:

there are much better rims out there these days.

Oh, sure, I’m just saying that’s the Mavic product I’ll buy.

(DT Swiss and H+Son are my go-to rims… or at least used to be…. haven’t built a set in a while..)

see hed.

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Jason Thorpe <tho...@me.com> wrote:

On Jun 22, 2017, at 10:56 PM, Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com> wrote:

so yeah i sort of did not like the ksyriums or mavic for that matter.

I like Mavic for the Open Pro.

-- thorpej

-- thorpej

ตอบทุกคน