OT: Getting across GGB during the SF Marathon?

Andrew Stadler

Jul 29, 2016, 1:54:27 PM7/29/16
to SF2G

SF Marathon is this Sunday...
http://sfist.com/2016/07/29/these_are_the_streets_that_will_be_1.php

Assuming one can work around the race closures (e.g. it looks like you can get though the wiggle and from there into the Presidio, is bike traffic across the GGB effectively possible, or just too screwed up to even bother with?

Darrin Ward

Jul 29, 2016, 2:11:46 PM7/29/16
to Andrew Stadler, SF2G
eh, the wiggle sounds and looks pretty inaccessible.
"North and south access across Lower Haight Street should use Steiner or Fillmore - expect significant delays."

the route runs right over the wiggle on haight.

then you have to deal with lincon once you get there.  with all events i can usually figure out a way to pass but its not usually terribly pleasant.

that sound pretty clusterfucky to me.  i would ride east bay or south bay.

---

Andrew Stadler

Jul 29, 2016, 2:19:28 PM7/29/16
to Darrin Ward, SF2G
I wasn't worried by the wiggle because it's on the back half of the marathon route, and we'd be crossing it early (on the way to the bridge).  Am I being too optimistic?

Bret Lobree

Jul 29, 2016, 2:28:09 PM7/29/16
to Andrew Stadler, Darrin Ward, SF2G
I feel like I've gotten through the marathon with not much issue in the past...worst case you just swim with the runners so to speak. It's not at all like B2B...

Ted Ketai

Jul 29, 2016, 3:16:02 PM7/29/16
to Bret Lobree, Andrew Stadler, Darrin Ward, SF2G
Yeah unless you're trying to get across right at the starting line at the starting time or something it's usually not that big a deal if you're on a bike (cars are a different matter).

djconnel

Jul 29, 2016, 8:35:34 PM7/29/16
to SF2G
Marathon starts sicko early for a major city marathon. A bit embarrassingly so: a testiment to how stilted to pro-car bias is here. Boston, Chicago, NY, Sacramento view marathons as events to celebrate, not to bury in pre-dawn obscurity

Anyway a non factor unless you're riding similarly early.