OT: An out-n-back or loop from Sunnyvale ?

Anna Walters

Jun 12, 2017, 6:01:51 PM6/12/17
to SF2G
Hiya braintrust,

Does anyone have any good route/ride suggestions based on the following criteria?

- Start/End location: Sunnyvale (605 W. Maude)
- Route that incorporates some city riding but also some pace-line riding (gulp)
- 20-30 miles tops
- 500 - 1500 ft climbing
- Loops preferable

Maybe a loop around Stevens Creek reservoir? Out to Saratoga? Towards Fremont?

Open to any/all suggestions & thank you brainstrust!

Anna

--
Anna Walters
cell: (360) 918-1109

Ben Kochie

Jun 12, 2017, 6:06:45 PM6/12/17
to Anna Walters, SF2G
You could ride to Palo Alto and do the Portola Valley loop:

If you take Foothill Expressway, you can get some good pacelines in.

---

Anna Walters

Jun 13, 2017, 1:20:04 PM6/13/17
to Ben Kochie, SF2G
Thanks Ben -- good suggestion!

Alexandre Passos

Jun 13, 2017, 1:20:57 PM6/13/17
to Ben Kochie, Anna Walters, SF2G
The sad thing about sunnyvale is that it takes almost 10mi to get anywhere fun. I like loops around stevens creek which is 10mi to get to and from. Towards fremont the bay trail is not fully connected so you end up in sad sad roads.
--
 - Alexandre

Ken Macinnis

Jun 13, 2017, 1:26:02 PM6/13/17
to alexan...@gmail.com, Ben Kochie, Anna Walters, SF2G
The dark, dark year I lived in Sunnyvale (Bernardo/Central), I learned to appreciate the efforts N/S using El Monte and Sunnyvale-Saratoga, among others. Nice, flat, straight with bike lanes and fairly infrequent lights and turning traffic. My knowledge is so outdated at this point I couldn't advise, though.

I'm sure you could piece together a 30-miler using that and Moody/Page Mill/Alpine.

Matthew Hiller

Jun 13, 2017, 3:11:43 PM6/13/17
to SF2G
3-year Sunnyvale resident here. (From long ago.) I'd go with a loop down to Stevens Creek Reservoir, climbing Mount Eden and coming out on Pierce in Saratoga. One of my favorite rides when I lived there.

You should be able to get some decent pacelining going on Hollenbeck/Stelling getting to and from the wilder parts of the route.

Anna Walters

Jun 14, 2017, 9:46:51 PM6/14/17
to matthew...@gmail.com, SF2G
Thanks everyone! Great suggestions.

---

Peter Chang

Jun 15, 2017, 1:39:21 PM6/15/17
to SF2G

Le lundi 12 juin 2017 15:01:51 UTC-7, Anna W. a écrit :
Does anyone have any good route/ride suggestions based on the following criteria?

- Start/End location: Sunnyvale (605 W. Maude)
- Route that incorporates some city riding but also some pace-line riding (gulp)

this feels like two separate rides...

to get to the resevoir, i'd suggest mary vs mathilda vs wolf vs whatever. still suburb riding (worse than city riding), but less motorspeedway-like. it hits homestead and a right takes you to foothill. left takes you to the resevoir (and montebello for more climbing and pierce/mt-eden/9 for less climbing).

right takes you to foothill, there are some lights pretty quickly after the turn but there are 'longish' stretches w/ a pretty wide shoulder if you want to work on pacelining. it's gradual up in the logical north direction but so gradual that i'd call it flat.

\p

Anna Walters

Jun 19, 2017, 3:40:53 PM6/19/17
to Peter Chang, SF2G
Thank you all for the help -- great suggestions!