Tue 3/31 Dirty Hipster SEX 630 RRR Style 2.5

Cordelia Link

Mar 30, 2015, 2:24:04 PM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Avoiding the Ralston closure by taking this variant:

Game time decision on whether we do the out and back to the waterdog. Not sure how this detour will affect the rolling average so let's go with a similar "feel" to 16.5 rolling target.

Regroups:

-top of Callan (at the jiffy lube)
-right before the second 280
-top of Crystal Springs at the end of SCT (this is the rest point)
-top of Polhemus
-(optional) behind Robert's market

Chris Merrill

Mar 30, 2015, 3:52:50 PM3/30/15
to cordel...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
+1, though I reserve the right to go on solo if the group decides to waterdog (morning meeting, other silly reasons, etc.).

---

Georgia Andrews

Mar 30, 2015, 4:15:36 PM3/30/15
to Chris Merrill, Cordelia Link, sf...@googlegroups.com
+1, if I decide I'm not actually getting sick.
--
Women Who Code San Francisco City Director

Janos

Mar 30, 2015, 4:21:15 PM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for calling! Any info on the condition of the dirt section and whether it's easily rideable on a road bike? Also, do you have an estimated timing (i.e., how much longer than a usual SEX)?

Scott Johnston

Mar 30, 2015, 4:37:27 PM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Firstly, +1!

To answer questions:
All dirt will be easy and road-bikeable, just reasonably graded fire roads. (Easiest dirty SEX yet!)
If we do just sheep I think it should be only 5-10 minutes extra as compared with the Ralston bike path version. (Strava says ~2 minutes...) Add on another ~10 minutes if we do the little waterdog detour. (Strava says ~5...)
So, all in all just a quick, dirty detour; ride should still be a quicky!

Cheers!

Scott

Hyan

Mar 30, 2015, 5:31:31 PM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+maaaaaybe from RR since I'm lacking in motivation these days.

Janos

Mar 30, 2015, 5:45:49 PM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Ok cool.

+1 but would prefer to skip the detour because time is tight

Peter Colijn

Mar 30, 2015, 5:46:36 PM3/30/15
to A Roja, SF2G
You have to do some kind of detour tomorrow because the regular bike path thingy is closed this week...

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Janos <roja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok cool.

+1 but would prefer to skip the detour because time is tight

Ted Ketai

Mar 30, 2015, 5:51:29 PM3/30/15
to Peter Colijn, A Roja, SF2G
BTW did anybody else notice that they've *already* delayed the re-opening to the 10th?

Janos

Mar 30, 2015, 6:09:08 PM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Sorry- I meant that the dirt detour is cool but that I'd rather skip the waterdog out-and-back thing.

Philipp von Weitershausen

Mar 30, 2015, 9:07:51 PM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

Scott Johnston

Mar 30, 2015, 9:10:29 PM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like most folks would rather skip the little out and back adventure to water dog lake, which is totally fine by me since I'm planning to explore the whole park by mountain bike sometime soon anyhow.

Relatedly, if anyone feels like joining me on mountain bike via caltrain to explore water dog park one of these days, just let me know! It's <20 minutes from San Carlos/Hillsdale stations, so I'll just do it on the way to/from work and likely bike the section between waterdog and Stanford.

Ted Ketai

Mar 30, 2015, 11:06:17 PM3/30/15
to Scott Johnston, sf...@googlegroups.com
+.9 pretty beat from yesterday but want to ride once more this month

Cordelia Link

Mar 31, 2015, 12:09:57 AM3/31/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, wamp...@gmail.com
Also despite me calling this ride from Ritual I'll actually be at Alemany/Lyell at 640.

Patrick Lea

Mar 31, 2015, 12:27:57 AM3/31/15
to Cordelia Link, sf2g, Scott Johnston
+1 from Sneath and Skyline. Expect you to be there about 7:20 based on previous SEX versions.

Garrett

Mar 31, 2015, 12:30:01 AM3/31/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

bonnie

Mar 31, 2015, 12:54:17 AM3/31/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com

+.9 ish, likely to be dropped which is fine

Georgia Andrews

Mar 31, 2015, 1:42:16 AM3/31/15
to bon...@tmbox.com, sf...@googlegroups.com

Gonna go ahead and -1, dunno if I'm actually sick but a cold quick ride isn't going to help.

On Mar 30, 2015 9:54 PM, "bonnie" <bon...@tmbox.com> wrote:

+.9 ish, likely to be dropped which is fine

Lina Mårtensson

Mar 31, 2015, 1:54:15 AM3/31/15
to Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com, SF2G
+1, gotta check out these sheep

Lina Mårtensson

Mar 31, 2015, 8:46:32 AM3/31/15
to Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com, SF2G

-1 sleep fail

Cordelia Link

Mar 31, 2015, 1:51:11 PM3/31/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, and.ge...@gmail.com, bon...@tmbox.com
Great ride this morning everyone!

For those following along at home, we ended up doing standard SEX after chatting with some construction workers and a park ranger at the top of Polhemus who told us they weren't closing the path for another 2 hours. They also indicated that they weren't that optimistic about the work being done before the 10th at the earliest :p

Also, looking at my past strava tracks for Skyline/Sneath intercepts, I'd say 7:20 is definitely too optimistic. We had a quick mechanical today so ended up there at more like 7:33, a past track suggests 7:30. I think that depending on group speed up Callan/lights the intercept could go to maybe 7:25.

Lina Mårtensson

Mar 31, 2015, 6:22:59 PM3/31/15
to Cordelia Link, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com
I rode later. The path was most definitely closed when I got there, and there was also a cop car in the parking lot right by the trail head - not sure why, maybe unrelated? Either way, I took the opportunity to ask what the recommended detour would be. "Bunker Hill", he said. "Uuuuh... have you seen that? Do you know how steep that is?", I said, and he said he drives it every day and didn't seem to realize why this would be a problem. Then he suggested some other weird roundabout way via Tower Rd to get to the top of Bunker Hill that would maybe be less steep.
I asked about 280, he said that's not allowed, and we talked about the bike legal sections on 280 and apparently he didn't know the dam project had been pushed back yet again (he thought it was to reopen this summer), and I asked who I should talk to about possibly opening the 280 section to bikes (he said highway patrol in Sacramento but I don't think that's right).

Then eventually he said there was also a dirt trail off of Hallmark that I could take to Canada but that it might be too hard on my road bike. So I went for that option. ;) (i.e. Sheep Camp)

It was pretty, but mostly it was pretty gravely and in several places paved with loose gravel on top, so not my favorite surface. But beats trying to ride up Bunker Hill.

-Lina

Janos

Mar 31, 2015, 8:40:36 PM3/31/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Really enjoyed the ride! How did I get a PR on Canada?!? Was there a tailwind?

Patrick Lea

Mar 31, 2015, 8:43:22 PM3/31/15
to A Roja, sf2g
There was a Peter. I think there was also a tailwind. I noticed a pretty strong cross wind on Sneath, coming from the north. That would equate to a tailwind on Canada more or less.