Marsh & Haven - good Bayway news

kurt wallace

Apr 18, 2014, 6:42:27 PM4/18/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Good news for the Menlo part of the Bayway.

Finally got the mess at the beginning of the Bay Trail @ Marsh Rd cleaned up, including the removal of the stupid bollard. It's a bit of a buzz cut, but there's a lot more pavement available now that the bollard and plant encroachment are gone.

And this bit of news attached below means that the kilometer of pavement before that (Haven Road from where the bike lane ends up to the Marsh Road intersection) will be getting a full upgrade, beginning with a public project and a chance to respond to designs this summer. (Sam getting hit here just added to my feeling that this area was due for improvements, so I'm really happy about this):

"San Mateo County Transportation Measure A funding allocation was approved at the April SMCTA Board meeting in the amount of $5,853,821 for the Measure A 2014 - 2015 for Pedestrian Bicycle Program. Project #3 is in Menlo Park for design and construction of approximately 3,080 linear feet of bicycle lanes with buffer striping and green pavement treatments in vehicle-bicycle interaction zones, and pedestrian enhanced crosswalks at Haven Avenue and Haven Court."

Kurt

Kyle B

Apr 18, 2014, 7:38:26 PM4/18/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Saw them working there this morning!

Slightly unrelated, does anyone know how we can get the cement company after the marina and before the wailing wall to clean their street?  I think that's still Redwood City maybe?  The amount of loose gravel that was covering the street today was pretty bad.

kurt wallace

Apr 19, 2014, 1:56:06 PM4/19/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I'm hoping that coming conversations with Redwood City will help in that zone.

djconnel

Apr 19, 2014, 6:28:29 PM4/19/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Nice work on both fronts! The bollard is an obvious hazard, especially since riders there need to be worried about multiple streams of vehicle traffic as well as potential pedestrians, and the risk of any motor vehicles driving onto the Bay Trail there is essentially zero. And bike lanes on the preceding (southbound) street is fantastic. Way too many turning vehicles. Bike lanes are a reminder of the need to watch for cyclists.

Brett Lider

Apr 20, 2014, 2:00:02 PM4/20/14
to djco...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Great news, Kurt! Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Can you email us when there are designs to look at?

From my point of view, it would be great for southbound bike traffic to get onto the Bay Trail / bike path before the big intersection. You can currently alley cat it but the east side curb and growth by that pumping plant makes it dicey. I hope that redoing that part is on the table.

On Saturday, April 19, 2014, djconnel <djco...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nice work on both fronts!   The bollard is an obvious hazard, especially since riders there need to be worried about multiple streams of vehicle traffic as well as potential pedestrians, and the risk of any motor vehicles driving onto the Bay Trail there is essentially zero.  And bike lanes on the preceding (southbound) street is fantastic.  Way too many turning vehicles.  Bike lanes are a reminder of the need to watch for cyclists.

---

Brett Lider

Apr 21, 2014, 12:49:45 PM4/21/14
to djco...@gmail.com, Kurt Wallace, sf...@googlegroups.com, Adina Levin, Andrew Boone
+Adina, Andrew for their bike advocacy interest

Kurt,

Here's my sketch for a streetscape that I think would improve the safety and throughput of east-west bicycle traffic through the Haven-Marsh intersection in Menlo Park. Note: I did not concentrate "contiguous" Marsh Road traffic improvements. Other can feel free to do so.

- Brett

Adina Levin

Apr 21, 2014, 12:53:44 PM4/21/14
to Brett Lider, djco...@gmail.com, Kurt Wallace, sf...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Boone
Thanks!   I don't have permission to see this - can that be fixed? Ok to forward to MP Staff?

I asked for the intersection to be discussed in an upcoming Transportation Commission agenda. Will hail SF2G when it's scheduled.

There is a big apartment complex planned to built on the Bay side of the hairball (at Haven).  The closest supermarket / coffeeshop / services are 3/4 mile away across the intersection.   A lot more people are going to be in harms way.

Brett Lider

Apr 21, 2014, 12:56:37 PM4/21/14
to Adina Levin, djco...@gmail.com, Kurt Wallace, sf...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Boone
On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Adina Levin <aldei...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks!   I don't have permission to see this - can that be fixed? Ok to forward to MP Staff?

Permission added. Apologies. And yes, feel free to share around to whomever.

I asked for the intersection to be discussed in an upcoming Transportation Commission agenda. Will hail SF2G when it's scheduled.

There is a big apartment complex planned to built on the Bay side of the hairball (at Haven).  The closest supermarket / coffeeshop / services are 3/4 mile away across the intersection.   A lot more people are going to be in harms way.

Good point. I noticed that new construction site. Even more reason to get this right.

Elliot Schwartz

Apr 21, 2014, 1:33:14 PM4/21/14
to Brett Lider, Adina Levin, djco...@gmail.com, Kurt Wallace, sf...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Boone
From Satellite view, it looks like a bay-side bike trail might be feasible all the way to Seaport. There some sort of road with a couple bridges that makes it most of the way there.

Brett Lider

Apr 21, 2014, 1:42:03 PM4/21/14
to Elliot Schwartz, Adina Levin, djco...@gmail.com, Kurt Wallace, sf...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Boone
Elliot - yes, that would be the long-term goal, but for right now I believe that land is privately owned (by the salt flats company). They have voiced their intention to fill in the salt flats and build housing on that land but I think the local governments are fighting them on that. So for now it is salt flats with no public access. It does seem pretty poachable on the surface, but the only exit is through the main gate a fair ways out on Seaport.

Kurt Martin

Apr 22, 2014, 8:02:43 PM4/22/14
to Brett Lider, djco...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, Adina Levin, Andrew Boone
Here's a foto of the intersection from the Bay Trail, facing west toward Haven, with its new haircut. You can see how much pavement was under vegetation, and how wonky the roadway is going farther, but at least the lines of sight are better.

Andrew Stadler

Apr 23, 2014, 1:23:16 AM4/23/14
to Kurt Wallace, Brett Lider, djco...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, Adina Levin, Andrew Boone
Watch out for those bolts sticking up from the plate (far left of your picture).  I almost tagged one two weeks ago.

Kurt Martin

Kurt Martin

Apr 25, 2014, 4:14:00 PM4/25/14
to sf2g@googlegroups.com sf2g@googlegroups.com, Brett Lider, djco...@gmail.com
Bolts gone!

The proposed plans for the entire stretch of Haven linking with the Marsh Road intersection will be available in just a few weeks and I'll make sure they get out here. I saw two guys salmoning against traffic there the other day and it made me nervous, so I'll be glad when this is better.

kurt