the pro car sf ballot measure

Darrin Ward

Apr 24, 2014, 1:48:44 PM4/24/14
to SF2G

Ryan Anderson

Apr 24, 2014, 1:52:43 PM4/24/14
to Darrin Ward, SF2G
sigh.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com> wrote:
fascinating.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2014/04/procar_ballot_measure_proposed_to_restore_the_transport.html

darrin

---

Ryan

Marcelo Vanzin

Apr 24, 2014, 2:09:12 PM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for the part where they mention better flow in the streets, as someone who hits 4 to 6 straight red lights on Howard every day coming back home...

The rest, though, is pure lunacy. I can't help but ask myself how can those people stuck in traffic in the FiDi every morning submit themselves to that every day...

ta...@murphstahoe.com

Apr 24, 2014, 2:13:08 PM4/24/14
to ry...@michonline.com, dmw...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com

For those playing along, the SFMTA budget that just went to the Board of Supervisors for approval, eliminates the recent addition of Sunday Metering from 12-6 PM.

For reference, the meters collected 9.8M dollars last year. For other reference, Google just handed the SFMTA 6.8M dollars to pay for the free MUNI for low income youth program. By my math, what really happened is we are keeping the free MUNI for youth but Google just kicked in $6.8M to pay for free Sunday parking.

The theory behind this supposedly is that there are other ballot measures coming this fall for major bond revenue for SFMTA, and Ed Lee is convinced that ending the Sunday metering is the way to get the measure passed. Meaning that MUNI will be funded by general revenue bonds paid for by everyone instead of by Sunday parking meters. Not that anyone who wants to park for free on Sunday is going to actually vote themselves a tax obligation. And of course the biggest drumbeat to remove S unday metering came from Churches because they have a lot of congregants who have left the City but who return on Sundays to go to Church. Typically before the metering starts at Noon. And usually by double parking on Dolores or Guerrero. And whom live outside the City limits and thus can't vote on the ballot measure.

I'm actually thinking of going to a BoS meeting to urge the BoS to send the budget back to the SFMTA. Not like it will make a difference but then I can go buy some $4 toast beforehand.

Murph

------- Original Message ------- On 4/24/2014 5:52 PM Ryan Anderson wrote:

sigh.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com> wrote:
---

Ryan

ta...@murphstahoe.com

Apr 24, 2014, 2:17:47 PM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
------- Original Message ------- On 4/24/2014 6:09 PM Marcelo Vanzin wrote:
I'm all for the part where they mention better flow in the streets, as someone who hits 4 to 6 straight red lights on Howard every day coming back home...

-> You know why this happens to you?

David Goldsmith

Apr 24, 2014, 2:55:54 PM4/24/14
to van...@cloudera.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
I like the comment posted by "The Milkshake of Despair."

I'm guessing Crosby.

Scott Crosby

Apr 25, 2014, 1:59:24 AM4/25/14
to d...@dgolds.com, Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
that guy's handle is the best part of his post. if I were going to insult Nathan and his ilk, I'd do it with more style.

that said, I kind of love the complete abdication of parking enforcement on sundays. I've taken to driving my massive SUV* to Valencia** and parking for hours in the suicide lane RIGHT IN FRONT of St. Vincent while I drink the latest releases from Craftsman etc. (in genteel sub-pint glassware) and dine upon artisanal pretzels and deep-fried pickles while gentrifying the Mission, oppressing indigenous peoples, and contributing to Prop. 8 between bouts of inventing programming languages. since there's no DUI enforcement in SF, I can do this with impunity.

 *kids...
**this street should be car-free, and I hope no one disputes that

Johan Beisser

Apr 25, 2014, 2:06:57 AM4/25/14
to Scott Crosby, d...@dgolds.com, Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
Honestly, I think Valencia and Market should be car free with a focus
on sidewalk cafe space.

But, hey, I like European cities with their transit hubs and downtown
areas being mostly pedestrian.

Patrick Kitto

Apr 25, 2014, 2:23:26 AM4/25/14
to j...@caustic.org, Scott Crosby, d...@dgolds.com, Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
.

> On Apr 24, 2014, at 23:07, Johan Beisser <j...@caustic.org> wrote:
>
> Honestly, I think Valencia and Market should be car free with a focus
> on sidewalk cafe space.

...And polk, and Union, and Haight and Castro and 24th to start.
Dedicated one block over to transit and one more over to private auto.
Then thing would start to move.

> But, hey, I like European cities with their transit hubs and downtown
> areas being mostly pedestrian.

Scott Crosby

Apr 25, 2014, 2:25:33 AM4/25/14
to Patrick Kitto, j...@caustic.org, d...@dgolds.com, Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
and Grant! what idiot would drive on that st. I can't imagine.

Johan Beisser

Apr 25, 2014, 12:20:22 PM4/25/14
to Patrick Kitto, Scott Crosby, d...@dgolds.com, Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Patrick Kitto <patric...@gmail.com> wrote:
> .
>
>> On Apr 24, 2014, at 23:07, Johan Beisser <j...@caustic.org> wrote:
>>
>> Honestly, I think Valencia and Market should be car free with a focus
>> on sidewalk cafe space.
>
> ...And polk, and Union, and Haight and Castro and 24th to start.
> Dedicated one block over to transit and one more over to private auto.
> Then thing would start to move.

Hear, hear. I've got a few other areas I'd do similar, but that's a good start.