OT: needed: 2 awesome riders for 2014 TBC

Peter Colijn

Apr 23, 2014, 7:10:06 PM4/23/14
to SF2G .
What's TBC, you ask? teambikechallenge.com, where team partycar.com will vanquish all those who dare oppose us with an epic defeat, leaving only crushed dreams and broken spirits in its wake.

You: a super consistent (KEY WORD) rider who is totally up for riding 20 miles a day in May NO MATTER WHAT. You don't have to do epic centuries or ride up mountains. You DO have ride 20 miles a day regardless of whether you're hungover or it's raining or you're out of town or whatever. (Riding epic centuries up mountains does make this more fun, though!)

Pretty much the only way to win this thing at this point is for everyone on the team to get a perfect score of 93 (3 points per 20-mile day, 31 days).

Your team:
- PfC: dude's last name is synonymous with crushing hopes and dreams, need I say more?
- Chris Ryan: not only does she crush bitches, she does it with a friendly smile and earrings co-ordinated with her kit
- your truly: the "food truck" of sf2g

Nathan Dushman

Apr 23, 2014, 7:36:02 PM4/23/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I'm in. I shouldn't have any trouble going a few BART stations further away in order to double my current mileage (I'm at about 10 miles/day baseline now). My wife says it's OK, and we don't have any travel planned for May. However, if you get sufficient interest from people who ride the SF2G routes regularly, probably better to have one of them join the team.

Also, if there's interest in an SF2G East-Bay team (Brian G? Janos? Dan S? Jeff G?) I'll join that instead - if anyone wants to do that, let me know.

Veering further off-topic and off-course towards the east bay, I'm looking for ideas on interesting May commutes to Emeryville. So far my ideas are a week of riding from the ends of the BART lines (excluding SFO; including Millbrae via Bayway and over the Dumbarton), and a week of ferries. Might try riding to Larkspur and taking a bus over the Richmond-San Rafael bridge, and I do hope to ride all the way to work via the Dumbarton one day. Other suggestions (maybe in a new thread or off-list)?

Nathan

Georgia Andrews

Apr 23, 2014, 8:03:22 PM4/23/14
to Nathan Dushman, sf...@googlegroups.com
Chris is moving all the way up from PartyCar Broom Wagon! Awesome!

Fairly certain I can't commit to being consistent enough for team partycar.com, but I intend to ride as much as I can so if we end up with another partycar team (I'm sure we will) I'll be on that.

---

Jacky Schuler

Apr 23, 2014, 8:13:23 PM4/23/14
to Georgia Andrews, Nathan Dushman, sf...@googlegroups.com
Ooh, me! Me! Me!

I can probably be consistent enough for partycar.com but I could do Partycar Domestiques as well!

-- jacky

Patrick Kitto

Apr 23, 2014, 8:19:04 PM4/23/14
to jackys...@gmail.com, Georgia Andrews, Nathan Dushman, sf...@googlegroups.com
Also in for the Domestiques. Team leader anyone??

Bret Lobree

Apr 23, 2014, 8:31:10 PM4/23/14
to Patrick Kitto, jackys...@gmail.com, Georgia Andrews, Nathan Dushman, sf...@googlegroups.com
If there is room for a super slacker on one of these teams, I've been doing a minimum of 9.5mi/day with my City commute. I can certainly raise the mileage, but not sure if I could hit 20 daily.

1t

Christine Ryan

Apr 23, 2014, 8:38:10 PM4/23/14
to Bret Lobree, Patrick Kitto, jackys...@gmail.com, Georgia Andrews, Nathan Dushman, sf...@googlegroups.com
I think the mileage breakdowns were, what, 5/10/20, maybe?? (I.e., 1 point for riding 5, 2 points for 10, and 3 for 20... though I might be misremembering...) Anyway, if they're keeping it the same for this year, then doubling your daily point total, Bret, is just .5 miles away!

(But of course you could hit 20 daily! Just go home via San Bruno Mountain...)

R Samuel Klatchko

Apr 23, 2014, 8:40:33 PM4/23/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Kitto, jackys...@gmail.com, Georgia Andrews, Nathan Dushman
+1 for a team that doesn't care about winning.

David Goldsmith

Apr 23, 2014, 8:47:09 PM4/23/14
to r.samuel...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Kitto, jackys...@gmail.com, Georgia Andrews, Nathan Dushman, kyle.b...@gmail.com
I am starting May by going to New Orleans, and I promise to slack the rest of the month after we get back. Therefore, I am a good candidate for either broom wagon or domestiques.

Calling Cap'n Kyle!

Georgia Andrews

Apr 23, 2014, 8:49:39 PM4/23/14
to R Samuel Klatchko, sf...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Kitto, jackys...@gmail.com, Nathan Dushman
I think it was 1 pt for any distance, then 2 for 10mi, 3 for 20mi. Either way, so close to doubling your point value!

I can captain Domestiques, "captaining" takes about 60 seconds of signing up for things anyways.

Georgia Andrews

Apr 23, 2014, 8:55:46 PM4/23/14
to R Samuel Klatchko, sf...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Kitto, jackys...@gmail.com, Nathan Dushman
Oh, apparently you have to leave the team you're on to create another one and/or be captain of one to enter it into competition.

I guess I'll leave Partycar Broom Wagon and make Partycar Domestiques 2014?

Bret Lobree

Apr 23, 2014, 8:56:32 PM4/23/14
to Georgia Andrews, R Samuel Klatchko, sf...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Kitto, jackys...@gmail.com, Nathan Dushman
OK...so if anyone wants an 10miler on their team I'm free, but I may be touch and go for weekend rides...another option is my daughter who rides to school at least 4 days/week...child labor?

Jacky Schuler

Apr 23, 2014, 9:06:51 PM4/23/14
to Bret Lobree, Georgia Andrews, R Samuel Klatchko, sf...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Kitto, Nathan Dushman
Hmm, so is Domestiques going to be a "I am going to try to ride 20 miles every day but if life happens and I miss a day I will not be letting the entire team down"? That's what it seemed to be last year (and we got 2nd in SF County)!

-- jacky

Jacky Schuler

Apr 23, 2014, 9:07:59 PM4/23/14
to Bret Lobree, Georgia Andrews, R Samuel Klatchko, sf...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Kitto, Nathan Dushman
We also had Partycar Broom Wagon, which seemed like it was more "I am going to try to ride as many miles as possible but not promising 20 miles on most days"...

-- jacky

Georgia Andrews

Apr 23, 2014, 9:29:41 PM4/23/14
to Jacky Schuler, Bret Lobree, R Samuel Klatchko, sf...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Kitto, Nathan Dushman
Sounds about right.

There was also Partycar Gruppetto, but I have no idea what they were aiming for.

Christine Ryan

Apr 23, 2014, 9:42:32 PM4/23/14
to and.ge...@gmail.com, Jacky Schuler, Bret Lobree, R Samuel Klatchko, sf...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Kitto, Nathan Dushman
Judging by the name, una bella figura...

Jeffrey Axelrod

Apr 23, 2014, 10:07:26 PM4/23/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Partycar Masters.

Kyle B

Apr 23, 2014, 10:57:48 PM4/23/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Jacky Schuler, Bret Lobree, R Samuel Klatchko, Patrick Kitto, Nathan Dushman

The autobus or the gruppetto is in bicycling terminology the name given to the group of cyclists in a road cycling race who form a large group behind the leading peloton.

The autobus forms on mountain stages when non-climbers fall off the back of the peloton during the climb. Gradually some riders fall off the back of the peloton and form a large group at the end of the race.

Due to the common interest in survival, the mood in the autobus has a greater sense of camaraderie than in the main peloton. Riders often assist one another with food and drinks despite riding for separate teams. It is sometimes referred to as "the laughing group".

Not yet sure if I will be able to captain the "laughing group" this year, so if someone wants to take over, please do!

David Goldsmith

Apr 24, 2014, 12:12:50 AM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
A couple of us decided to form a new team this year, the Partycar Masters.

aggravated, our teeth don't fall out, our hearts keep ticking, and our
balls don't hang too low.

Like Partycar Grupetto, this is a group for people who want to
participate in the Team Bike Challenge but can't ride every day, so
we're not too serious about achieving any goals or taking first place in
the challenge.

After registering at http://teambikechallenge.com, contact me and I'll
add you to the team.

David

Bret Lobree

Apr 24, 2014, 12:18:29 AM4/24/14
to d...@dgolds.com, SF2G
Is there a minimum age requirement?

David

David Goldsmith

Apr 24, 2014, 12:33:42 AM4/24/14
to Bret Lobree, SF2G
Most of the jobs and lifestyle choices popular in the Bay Area already qualify you for Partycar Masters. We welcome all stressed-out geeks, freds who think they're athletes, parents with small children, overusers of social media, the lactose intolerant, those who think Sawyer Camp Trail is "cool," and the old at heart.

Jeffrey Skokan

Apr 24, 2014, 12:56:00 AM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
DGo wins this thread :))

I'm up for partycar.com or Partycar Domestiques whichever will have me.  Last year I was super consistent up to the end, but had to miss some days due to an unexpected family matter.  If neither team wants me, I'll find a home with Gruppetto, Band Wagon or Masters (I like SCT and milkshakes like Nathan.  Maybe it's a Potrero Hill thing ;).

Jeffrey Skokan

Apr 24, 2014, 1:00:06 AM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
s/Band/Broom/  got my wagons mixed up.

Guilherme Germoglio

Apr 24, 2014, 10:50:59 AM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
late for the party. is there still any spot in partycar.com or domestiques?

Jacky Schuler

Apr 24, 2014, 11:50:16 AM4/24/14
to Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa, SF2G

I am confused.

steve armijo

Apr 24, 2014, 12:23:13 PM4/24/14
to d...@dgolds.com, Bret Lobree, SF2G
that sounds like an amazing set of qualifications.  will there be jerseys?  tattoos?

-s

Georgia Andrews

Apr 24, 2014, 12:47:56 PM4/24/14
to Jacky Schuler, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa, sf...@googlegroups.com

Partycar.com, yes, everyone who's posted here (except Jacky) seems afraid of commitment. I think at least 5 people have said yes to domestiques though.

Guilherme Germoglio

Apr 24, 2014, 12:52:54 PM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
awesome.

Peter, can I sign up? =)

David Goldsmith

Apr 24, 2014, 12:55:47 PM4/24/14
to steve armijo, Bret Lobree, SF2G
Water bottles.

We still have two openings. I thought of a new qualification: "people who ride bicycles made of wood." You should join.

Jeffrey Skokan

Apr 24, 2014, 1:13:08 PM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Jacky Schuler, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa
I wouldn't suggest joining partycar.com if I wasn't up for the commitment.  We'll see...

Georgia Andrews

Apr 24, 2014, 1:14:58 PM4/24/14
to Jeffrey Skokan, sf...@googlegroups.com, Jacky Schuler, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa
Oops! And you. My fault for hijacking Peter's thread talking about other teams.

David Ahn

Apr 24, 2014, 1:26:20 PM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com, steve armijo, Bret Lobree, d...@dgolds.com
Masters sounds like about the right level of commitment for me---and I qualify by multiple criteria!

Jacky Schuler

Apr 24, 2014, 3:16:35 PM4/24/14
to Georgia Andrews, Jeffrey Skokan, sf...@googlegroups.com, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa
OK, so just to make this less confusing, I will summarize and you guys can agree/disagree...

partycar.com (20mi/day -- all 31 days NO MATTER WHAT and if you mess up the rest of your teammates will be very, very sad and not like you very much anymore)
* Peter C
* Chris R
* PfC

Partycar Domestiques (20mi/day -- all 31 days unless something uber-important happens and we will all be a bit sad but won't hate you)

Partycar Broomwagon/Autobus/Grupetto/??? (ride as much as possible -- still a lot but it doesn't have to be every day and nobody will be that upset if you miss a day or don't do 20 miles in a day)

Partycar Masters (We'll ride our bikes as long as our arthritis doesn't get aggravated, our teeth don't fall out, our hearts keep ticking, and our balls don't hang too low.)
* DGo (capitalization correct?)
* ???
* ???

Nathan: can do any team, maybe an East Bay team
Georgia: will ride as much as possible
Kitto: Domestiques
Jeffrey Skokan: partycar.com or Domestiques
Guiga: partycar.com or Domestiques
David Ahn: Partycar Masters?
Jeffrey Axelrod: Partycar Masters?
Steve Armijo: Partycar Masters?
Bret: Partycar Masters?
Me: probably Domestiques if we are going to be pretty serious but not cry if we don't win, might be convinced to do partycar.com if there's a spot.

I suppose I could get all fancy and make a spreadsheet if this remains confusing. Let me know what you guys think!

-- jacky

Jeffrey Skokan

Apr 24, 2014, 3:26:00 PM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Georgia Andrews, Jeffrey Skokan, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa
If you look on http://teambikechallenge.com/groups/members/10053/ you will see that Samuel and JAX are already members.  Good job summerizing, Jacky.

Georgia Andrews

Apr 24, 2014, 3:33:41 PM4/24/14
to Jeffrey Skokan, Marion Silies, sf...@googlegroups.com, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa
Looks accurate. I emailed the Team Bike Challenge people, and apparently all pre-existing teams will be automatically entered on May 1st. So all we have to do it rearrange members on the existing teams (Broomwagon, Domestiques, Gruppetto, partycar.com) and it'll happen by magic. Only group leaders can remove people other than themselves though.

Marion, could you make jacky a group leader please? Just to give us more flexibility if you're not participating this year. :)

Jacky Schuler

Apr 24, 2014, 4:02:54 PM4/24/14
to Georgia A, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa, Marion Silies, sf...@googlegroups.com, Jeffrey Skokan

Weird, I didn't see anything but Partycar Masters for 2014 teams. I is confused!

Georgia Andrews

Apr 24, 2014, 4:13:29 PM4/24/14
to Jacky Schuler, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa, Marion Silies, sf...@googlegroups.com, Jeffrey Skokan
Yeah, existing teams don't seem to be showing up?

I left Partycar Broom Wagon and now it's the only partycar one I can find available to join.

Patrick Kitto

Apr 24, 2014, 4:45:28 PM4/24/14
to Georgia Andrews, Jacky Schuler, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa, Marion Silies, sf...@googlegroups.com, Jeffrey Skokan
hm... i should probably join the groupetto, as i can already point out 6 weekdays i cant ride due to work obligations.

David Goldsmith

Apr 24, 2014, 4:54:17 PM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
That's 'cause Partycar Masters is so awesome that teambikechallenge.com forgot about the other Partycar entries

Mark Kahn

Apr 24, 2014, 5:32:16 PM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com, d...@dgolds.com
I grabbed one of the Partycar Masters spots...who will be our final team member?!

Patrick Kitto

Apr 24, 2014, 5:33:03 PM4/24/14
to Mark Kahn, sf...@googlegroups.com, d...@dgolds.com
In for masters. I may not be that old, but im curmudgeonly as fuck.

Bret Lobree

Apr 24, 2014, 5:34:14 PM4/24/14
to Patrick Kitto, Mark Kahn, SF2G, d...@dgolds.com
I emailed DGo for the spot, but I guess you all can have it...

Patrick Kitto

Apr 24, 2014, 5:34:47 PM4/24/14
to Bret Lobree, Mark Kahn, SF2G, d...@dgolds.com
years should trump surlyness for that spot :)

Bret Lobree

Apr 24, 2014, 5:35:48 PM4/24/14
to Patrick Kitto, Mark Kahn, SF2G, d...@dgolds.com
I might have you beat then...and I can be surly when I want to...

David Goldsmith

Apr 24, 2014, 5:37:21 PM4/24/14
to Patrick Kitto, Bret Lobree, Mark Kahn, SF2G
Hmmm. What am I bid for that final slot?

Who's up for picking up the Partycar Masters team trip to Hawaii?

Still - "Masters" has One-T (unlike "Kitto")

Bret Lobree

Apr 24, 2014, 5:38:14 PM4/24/14
to d...@dgolds.com, Patrick Kitto, Mark Kahn, SF2G
I'm in...no email, but there was a notice on the TBC page...

Peter Colijn

Apr 24, 2014, 5:38:52 PM4/24/14
to Patrick Kitto, Mark Kahn, SF2G, Bret Lobree, d...@dgolds.com

Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm! We're all set for team partycar.com but it's awesome to see so many partycar teams. Lookin forward to riding with yall in May!

Jeffrey Axelrod

Apr 24, 2014, 5:49:42 PM4/24/14
to blo...@gmail.com, d...@dgolds.com, Patrick Kitto, Mark Kahn, SF2G

Wooo hooo. It’s a full house of curmudgeonly- old- surly farts!!!  These rides will surely be eventful..

Marion Silies

Apr 24, 2014, 5:52:17 PM4/24/14
to Georgia Andrews, Jeffrey Skokan, sf...@googlegroups.com, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa
Jacky, you've just been promoted to Partycar Domestiques team leader.

aamir ali

Apr 24, 2014, 9:57:05 PM4/24/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Hope not too late to the party. Am up for either the Autobus or Masters team as am out during Memorial day weekend so can't commmit to riding all 31 days. Will surely try 26!

Let me know which team still has space :)

Scott Crosby

Apr 25, 2014, 1:38:50 AM4/25/14
to gearin...@gmail.com, SF2G, Judd Blair
heh, remember when Judd was on the A-team?

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 6:57 PM, aamir ali <gearin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hope not too late to the party. Am up for either the Autobus or Masters team as am out during Memorial day weekend so can't commmit to riding all 31 days. Will surely try 26!

Let me know which team still has space :)

Judd Blair

Apr 25, 2014, 1:51:49 AM4/25/14
to Scott Crosby, gearin...@gmail.com, SF2G, Judd Blair
Sigh, and I don't even have my Anza Sprint KOM to show for my SF2G "glory" days.

Elizeu Santos-Neto

Apr 25, 2014, 12:49:35 PM4/25/14
to davi...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, steve armijo, Bret Lobree, d...@dgolds.com
+1 to Partycar Masters (if spot still available)

Jacky Schuler

Apr 25, 2014, 1:45:17 PM4/25/14
to Judd Blair, Scott Crosby, aamir ali, SF2G, Judd Blair
Hmm, so I can't see who is signed up for what team, which is quite frustrating. Is there anybody still needing a team? It looks like nobody has signed up for Domestiques yet and I can't see who is on partycar.com...

-- jacky

Russ

Apr 25, 2014, 1:58:30 PM4/25/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I still need a team. I'm estimating about ~15 points per week, but I'm a new rule rider.

Nathan Dushman

Apr 25, 2014, 2:03:03 PM4/25/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
It's not just you, there's something quirky about how it pulls (or doesn't pull) previous teams into this year's competition. If I go to "Competitions" and then Teams 2013, then Competitors, I can get the list of teams from last year, but having left my team from last year I no longer have the option to join it again, and the only PartyCar team that's showing up for this year so far is Broom Wagon. Not sure what they (Kyle?) did to make that happen.

Nathan

Kyle B

Apr 25, 2014, 2:05:54 PM4/25/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Teams can be marked private (invite only) or public.  Gruppetto was private but has now been made public.  If anyone wants to take over the leader role, let me know.

Nathan Dushman

Apr 25, 2014, 2:08:51 PM4/25/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
And then, of course, as soon as I post that, the website does something different and shows me PartyCar Masters (although full), and gives me the ability to join PartyCar Grupetto. I have no idea what's going on. Maybe clicking on a different year of competition does something to the website's internal idea of which teams you can join? Also some teams are "private" meaning you need an invitation to join them.

Jeffrey Skokan

Apr 25, 2014, 2:11:45 PM4/25/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
It wasn't announced who was selected for partycar.com, but I wasn't one of 'em.  I'm still looking to join the Domestiques if that is still available.  Who is the leader? Jacky? Marion?

Georgia Andrews

Apr 25, 2014, 2:11:22 PM4/25/14
to Nathan Dushman, sf...@googlegroups.com
If I search around through last year's competition I can find domestiques but I can't join it. Jacky, maybe you need to make it public? Remove some people so there's space?

Patrick Kitto

Apr 25, 2014, 2:38:06 PM4/25/14
to Jeffrey Skokan, sf...@googlegroups.com
Just joined the Groupetto. Dropped riders, unite! who's got the bourbon!?!

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Jeffrey Skokan <jsk...@gmail.com> wrote:
It wasn't announced who was selected for partycar.com, but I wasn't one of 'em.  I'm still looking to join the Domestiques if that is still available.  Who is the leader? Jacky? Marion?

Marion Silies

Apr 25, 2014, 2:45:18 PM4/25/14
to Jeffrey Skokan, SF2G
I made Jacky the leader of Domestiques and deleted everyone else, including myself.

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Jeffrey Skokan <jsk...@gmail.com> wrote:
It wasn't announced who was selected for partycar.com, but I wasn't one of 'em.  I'm still looking to join the Domestiques if that is still available.  Who is the leader? Jacky? Marion?

---

Marion Silies
Dept. of Neurobiology, Clandinin lab
Fairchild Bldg. D217
299 Campus Drive West
Stanford, CA 94305
USA

Jacky Schuler

Apr 25, 2014, 2:46:31 PM4/25/14
to Patrick Kitto, Jeffrey Skokan, SF2G
It looks like I am the only member. I tried to add the team to the competition but it says that I can't because a group member is already competing. I just e-mailed them so hopefully this will be fixed.

Jeffrey, I tried to send you an invite. Not sure if it worked....it says it will show up on your wall.

-- jacky

Jeffrey Skokan

Apr 25, 2014, 2:48:28 PM4/25/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Kitto, Jeffrey Skokan
Yep! saw it and accepted.

Jacky Schuler

Apr 25, 2014, 2:51:55 PM4/25/14
to Jeffrey Skokan, SF2G, Patrick Kitto
Awesome! OK, so now I know how to add people so if anybody else is interested let me know. We still have 3 spots!

-- jacky

Georgia Andrews

Apr 25, 2014, 2:56:35 PM4/25/14
to Jacky Schuler, patric...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, Jeffrey Skokan

Meeee!

I won't be able to accept it for a couple hours though. Getting fillings.

aamir ali

Apr 25, 2014, 7:12:15 PM4/25/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Jacky Schuler, patric...@gmail.com, Jeffrey Skokan
Just registered. Looks like there are still vacancies in Gruppetto and Domestiques, any selection criteria or should we just sign up ? I love bourbon but am partial to single malt scotch

Jeffrey Guertin

Apr 27, 2014, 4:51:49 PM4/27/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I am pretty close to that as it is, but it looks like the team is covered

Jacky Schuler

Apr 27, 2014, 5:02:31 PM4/27/14
to Jeffrey Guertin, SF2G
What are you close to?

Domestiques is now full, I meant to e-mail the group. You could always start another team!

-- jacky

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Jeffrey Guertin <eljefe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am pretty close to that as it is, but it looks like the team is covered

Jeffrey Skokan

Apr 27, 2014, 5:24:22 PM4/27/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Jeffrey Guertin
partycar.com, Partycar Domestiques and Partycar Masters are full, but it appears that there is still a need for members in Partycar.com Gruppetto (Kyle *leader, Russ and Kitto + two more) and Partycar Broom Wagon (Anton and Viet-Trung both leaders + three more).  Some of the folks listed may have decided not to participate this year, but that hasn't been communicated.

Brian Salomaki

Apr 30, 2014, 12:12:21 PM4/30/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Jeffrey Guertin
I just joined Gruppetto to have some incentive to ride as often as possible, but won't be making it anywhere close to every day, in case anyone prefers to take it more seriously. Broom Wagon still seems to have 3 spots open.

Jeffrey Guertin

May 1, 2014, 12:58:11 AM5/1/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
2 spots left on the broom wagon, the original party car, as it were.

James Nishimuta

May 1, 2014, 3:31:05 PM5/1/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Never done this type thing before, but I ride at least 15 miles every weekday, I can probably up it 20/day for May.  But I don't ride weekends. So if Broom Wagon needs a spot I could fill in. I'm also commuting from Santa Clara so I don't ever get the pleasure of riding train 277 :-(

aamir ali

May 1, 2014, 6:15:39 PM5/1/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Am a bit confused about the rules for TBC and requirement for Destinations.

ELIGIBILITY: Points are awarded for bike trips that have a different start and end point taken any time between 12:00am May 1st, 2014 and 11:59pm May 31st, 2014 and submitted before the deadline of June 2nd, 2014 at 11:59pm

What if am doing a Paradise Loop, do I put it as two rides - One going to Tiburon X miles and the other from Tiburon to Home X miles ?

R Samuel Klatchko

May 1, 2014, 6:18:47 PM5/1/14
to gearin...@gmail.com, SF2G
What if am doing a Paradise Loop, do I put it as two rides

That's what most people seem to do. If you stop for coffee you don't even have to feel guilty.

Peter Colijn

May 1, 2014, 6:19:38 PM5/1/14
to aamir ali, SF2G .
If you do a loop, and you really don't stop anywhere, then it doesn't count. The TBC is all about riding for transportation. So if you want to go that way, you need to find some kind of destination to go to. A coffee shop, restaurant, post office, whatever.

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 3:15 PM, aamir ali <gearin...@gmail.com> wrote:

---

I'm riding a bike across Zambia to fight AIDS and poverty. Please support me with a small donation.

Bret Lobree

May 1, 2014, 6:28:42 PM5/1/14
to Peter Colijn, aamir ali, SF2G .
So even if I keep my garmin on for both to and from work, I record it as 2 rides...

Bret Lobree

May 1, 2014, 6:29:48 PM5/1/14
to Peter Colijn, aamir ali, SF2G .
hmmm, why is there a round trip option when entering rides?

Georgia Andrews

May 1, 2014, 7:40:08 PM5/1/14
to Bret Lobree, Peter Colijn, aamir ali, SF2G .
It enters it as two rides, so I think it's to make there-and-back commutes easier to enter. I've used it a lot for the days I take caltrain - just enter a round trip for house <-> caltrain, even though they're hours apart.

Jeffrey Axelrod

May 1, 2014, 10:58:48 PM5/1/14
to caff...@colijn.ca, aamir ali, SF2G .
What about an hour on a Spinning bike in a gym? Can anyone come up with a creative way to make that count?

________
Jax.

James Nishimuta

May 2, 2014, 1:46:20 AM5/2/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com, caff...@colijn.ca, aamir ali
From their FAQ:

What trips count for the competition

The competition is for promoting the use of the bicycle for everyday transportation. As such, the rules state that rides must have a different start and end point, thus training rides where you ride in a loop starting and ending in the same place do not count and stationary bike miles do not count. Bike rides to a store, restaurant, friend's house, or any destination do count.

Marion Silies

May 2, 2014, 5:18:04 PM5/2/14
to j.nis...@gmail.com, SF2G, caff...@colijn.ca, aamir ali
Hey,
there was one open spot on the SF2G Broomwagon (since Anton is not riding), so I snatched that. I am not going to ride every day, but that's still better than one less person on the team, right?
Happy sweeping.
Marion

---

Jacky Schuler

May 23, 2014, 3:19:43 PM5/23/14
to Marion Silies, James Nishimuta, SF2G, caff...@colijn.ca, aamir ali
So....I just noticed that Strava says I have ridden 720ish miles and TBT says 701ish...

Rather than going through every ride to see where I missed one, let's say that I do a 1 mile ride and add on the difference, is that against the rules? I did ride the miles...

-- jacky

Dave Borowitz

May 23, 2014, 3:44:46 PM5/23/14
to jackys...@gmail.com, Marion Silies, James Nishimuta, SF2G, caff...@colijn.ca, aamir ali
Ouch, I am off by like 12 miles too. I will probably go through them all though because I'm like that.

Mark Kahn

May 23, 2014, 7:17:57 PM5/23/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com, jackys...@gmail.com, Marion Silies, James Nishimuta, caff...@colijn.ca, aamir ali
Isn't this because TBC calculates mileage as a crow flies?

David Borowitz

May 23, 2014, 7:20:57 PM5/23/14
to mark....@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, jackys...@gmail.com, masi...@gmail.com, j.nis...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, gearin...@gmail.com
Yeah or maybe cycling directions on Google. But you can correct its mileage. I've been doing that because it underestimates Bayway by like 10%. Plus all those rides where I take a roundabout way r to ensure I get to 20.

Georgia Andrews

May 23, 2014, 7:27:15 PM5/23/14
to Dave Borowitz, Mark Kahn, sf...@googlegroups.com, Jacky Schuler, Marion Silies, James Nishimuta, Peter Colijn, aamir ali
I think it's cycling directions via google. It's the only way to explain consistently over estimating my regular commute by 0.7 miles.

Apparently maps thinks every day should be a royale: http://goo.gl/maps/QlJ9R