ssf dunkin opening on feb 1st!

Hyan

Jan 18, 2017, 1:36:01 PM1/18/17
to SF2G

Alexandre Passos

Jan 18, 2017, 2:21:52 PM1/18/17
to Hyan, Katie Evans, SF2G
Katie said she'd call a double donut Dynamo donuts Dunkin donuts bex

On Jan 18, 2017 10:36, "Hyan" <hyan...@gmail.com> wrote:
---

katie evans

Jan 18, 2017, 2:36:51 PM1/18/17
to SF2G
sweetness (literally!) i rode by it yesterday and was wondering when it would open so thanks for sending!

how about Feb1 BEX Style 2.5 starting at DDR around 6:30 and then breaking at DnD? I can call it formally later today

Peter Colijn

Jan 18, 2017, 2:37:26 PM1/18/17
to turbo...@gmail.com, SF2G
If you want donuts at dynamo, they don't open until 7 (I know, slackers...)

Darrin Ward

Jan 18, 2017, 2:45:47 PM1/18/17
to Peter Colijn, turbo...@gmail.com, SF2G
it seems weird to me to mix the new school and the old school.  a bear claw and a bacon maple apple doughnut might as well be different foods.

you guys should do a bobs rollout and then stop at dunkin.

Katie Evans

Jan 18, 2017, 2:54:53 PM1/18/17
to Darrin Ward, Peter Colijn, SF2G
7 might be a little tight if we are planning on stopping at DnD. ooooh good idea with Bobs! that is an easy one for me as i go by there anyways.

David Goldsmith

Jan 18, 2017, 3:19:42 PM1/18/17
to turbo...@gmail.com, Darrin Ward, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Sounds like an alumni event, mmmm, donuts.

There's also the Jelly Donut on 24th, which someone rolled from one time.

Andrew Stadler

Jan 18, 2017, 4:02:37 PM1/18/17
to dg, Katie Evans, Darrin Ward, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Yes this sounds like it could be Bakeway part deux

Peter Chang

Jan 18, 2017, 4:19:36 PM1/18/17
to SF2G

Le mercredi 18 janvier 2017 11:37:26 UTC-8, Peter Colijn a écrit :
If you want donuts at dynamo, they don't open until 7 (I know, slackers...)

the jelly donut (i think zoe did a roll from there once) opens at 0530.

otoh, if you're doing donut way, chucks is where it's at, and the ones in belmont/rwc are 24hrs.

\p

Matthew Kenaston

Jan 18, 2017, 6:49:24 PM1/18/17
to SF2G
this might be just the motivation I need to keep working on fitness in anticipation of an SF2G come back...

Patrick Lea

Jan 18, 2017, 7:43:11 PM1/18/17
to Matthew Kenaston, sf2g
Rolling pin in San Bruno is another good option for donut way. No seating inside but you can bring your bike in and it is 24 hours as well.

On Jan 18, 2017 15:49, "Matthew Kenaston" <matthew....@gmail.com> wrote:
this might be just the motivation I need to keep working on fitness in anticipation of an SF2G come back...

Katie Evans

Jan 19, 2017, 12:25:05 AM1/19/17
to Matthew Kenaston, patri...@gmail.com, sf2g
Maybe we should start at 4 ;)

As with the other openings, there will be considerable pomp and circumstance: Per the press release, visitors on Feb 1 can expect "food and beverage samples, special giveaways to the first 100 people in line, a $250 gift card to the first person in line and an appearance by Dunkin' Donuts mascot Cuppy," whom I find more than slightly terrifying.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 4:43 PM Patrick Lea <patri...@gmail.com> wrote:
Rolling pin in San Bruno is another good option for donut way. No seating inside but you can bring your bike in and it is 24 hours as well.

On Jan 18, 2017 15:49, "Matthew Kenaston" <matthew....@gmail.com> wrote:
this might be just the motivation I need to keep working on fitness in anticipation of an SF2G come back...

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Darrin Ward

Jan 19, 2017, 12:49:49 AM1/19/17
to turbo...@gmail.com, Matthew Kenaston, Patrick Lea, sf2g
http://abc7news.com/business/long-lines-abound-at-new-dunkin-donuts-in-walnut-creek/1396337/

sounds like you should plan on getting there by 5 or so.  at least plan on a long wait.

i think you all are crazy for going on the first day but i didnt grow up on the east coast so i dont have those fond childhood memories.  not like my new age mom with her wheatgrass and bean sprouts would of supported such things anyways.

a future non first day - mission to dunkin to sf (via colma) sounds fun though.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:24 PM, Katie Evans <turbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Faye

Jan 19, 2017, 4:36:24 PM1/19/17
to SF2G, turbo...@gmail.com, matthew....@gmail.com, patri...@gmail.com

Can someone (Katie?) please explain to me the Dunkin Donuts appeal? In the 4 blocks that make up the first half of my walk to school, there are 3 Dunkin Donuts! and within a few more blocks there are even more, keeping the ratio similar throughout at least the seedier parts of New Haven.  That just seems a big excessive, non?
I had a patient talk about Dunkin Donuts coffee the other day, so I asked her (having heard people cite the coffee before), what is the appeal, and she said with the coffee it is the consistency.

When I missed my train (during one of our snowstorms here a couple of weeks ago) and was stuck at the train station, I went in one of the 2 dunkin donuts there (also insane, it is a small station) and got myself a chocolate glazed donut to console myself. It was my first dunkin donut and I thought it was basically inedible- I had one bite and gave the rest ot a homeless guy. Maybe it was a bad batch or because it was the evening, but it seemed soggy.

Are people going for the coffee, or the donuts?
Are certain donut varieties better than others?
Do you have to go only first thing in the morning?

I would love to understand the Dunkin Donuts thing?

mille mercis for any insight!

Le jeudi 19 janvier 2017 00:49:49 UTC-5, Darrin a écrit :
[...]

Zak Jarvis

Jan 19, 2017, 5:07:02 PM1/19/17
to faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G, turbo...@gmail.com, matthew....@gmail.com, patri...@gmail.com
Ahhh, I remember that time when I was in Camillus, NY and my girlfriend and I got an early breakfast at the local DD. I think we were getting ready to do a long car trip somewhere. The donuts were across the street from Wegmans (which I would cheerfully wait in line for on opening day if they opened one here). Just a bit down the street from the nearly abandoned mall where mostly retirees went to walk in winter.

First bite from the donut goes *clunk*!

I fished the hard bit out of my mouth and found a tangled staple.

Pretty good donut otherwise though.

Nathan Dushman

Jan 19, 2017, 5:28:01 PM1/19/17
to SF2G
I think you have to grow up with it. I don't drink coffee, but the same consistency is true of the donuts. No one thinks they're the best donuts in the world but you know exactly what you're getting, and there are enough varieties that you can find something to match your mood. The ubiquity goes along with the consistency: you can go to any of them and get the same thing. If your morning routine is a coffee and a donut, you can get that, even if you don't always go to the same Dunkin location. As a kid, they were an occasional treat - every once in a while my parents would buy us some. One semester early in high school I had a free block the second period of the day and I would do occasional donut runs by bicycle, because there was a Dunkin nearby (but not walkable) and none of my friends had cars (or drivers licenses) yet. If 5 friends gave me enough money for 2 donuts each, I had enough money for a dozen, meaning two free donuts for me and possibly a hot chocolate too.

Not sure if that explains the appeal, but maybe it helps.

Nathan

Peter Colijn

Jan 19, 2017, 5:34:23 PM1/19/17
to n...@abtech.org, SF2G
I'm not a Dunkin's person but I'm assuming it's the east coast US equivalent of Tim Horton's, which any Canadian knows is hugely popular in the mother land.

In that case, it isn't really about the coffee or food per se, but the fact that it's the same everywhere and you always know what you can get. Also it's cheap. And for ex-pats, there is a nostalgic effect at play too. In college (also known as 'university' in Canada) I lived off Tim Horton's donuts for a while and initially that made me kind of sick of them, but now I have an inexplicable nostalgia for it...

Katie Evans

Jan 19, 2017, 10:35:31 PM1/19/17
to Peter Colijn, n...@abtech.org, SF2G
hi faye,

i'm impressed by all your snowy bad weather rides! sorry for the delay but peter, nathan and zak basically summed it up. its mostly nostalgia and cultural of growing up with DnD. Dunkin Donuts was the first donut I ever had so at that age, the bar for donuts is pretty low, as long as they have a lot of sugar. that said, i do like their coffee a lot! its milder than SF coffee which works for my 6 year old palette.

seems like you are already embracing DnD for the shelter they provide from the snow and cold. next thing you know, you'll be drinking their coffee too :)

Patrick Lea

Jan 20, 2017, 1:25:09 AM1/20/17
to turbo...@gmail.com, Peter Colijn, n...@abtech.org, SF2G
As a New Englander, there is definitely nostalgia. It is really consistent, although maybe my taste in donuts has changed but DnD donuts are not as good as they used to be. I am not a coffee person, I get the feeling that they make great sweetened milk with coffee flavor.

Although if you really want something bad from them, get a bagel.

Drk

Jan 20, 2017, 1:38:50 AM1/20/17
to SF2G
First understand how someone (me) could walk through the mission down mission street and be thrilled to see a Taco Bell for a bean burrito and understanding DD will be easy. I no longer understand the Taco Bell thing. I used to be able to get DD any direction I left home. Donuts, donut holes, coffee, that was the basic appeal. I could not figure out the SFCA until I realized Starbucks was DD in SF. Of course then I got educated and will not go to Starbucks any more.

Chris Merrill

Jan 20, 2017, 9:15:15 AM1/20/17
to drk...@gmail.com, SF2G
On the note of "sweetened coffee with milk", I wonder if this DD's will sell coffee milk (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_milk).

Now THAT would make me nostalgic...

~Chris

Katie Evans

Jan 20, 2017, 3:14:07 PM1/20/17
to notspel...@gmail.com, David Kardatzke, SF2G
haha! yes, they should sell some coffee milk from Rhodey! the Autocrat factory was right behind my high school :)

---

---

---

---

---

Faye

Jan 20, 2017, 8:46:53 PM1/20/17
to SF2G, notspel...@gmail.com, drk...@gmail.com
Thanks for the explanations!  I can appreciate the nostalgia aspect for sure, and the consistency makes some sense too.

I hope you guys enjoy your donut adventure! Take pics!

---