OT: bikes on Caltrain these days?

Nathan Dushman

Feb 16, 2018, 2:06:16 PM2/16/18
to SF2G
I took Caltrain one morning this week (8:49 train from 22nd St). The unusually helpful conductor allowed all the bikes to board but the racks were all over capacity. Is this typical these days? If I were (at this point very hypothetically) to take a job on the Peninsula, would I find myself bumped routinely?

Dave Blizard

Feb 16, 2018, 2:15:06 PM2/16/18
to Nathan Dushman, SF2G
Yes.. it's mayhem. I default to 4th and King now after giving up on the chaos and bumpage at 22nd.

When the schedules first changed there were many bumps but now I think the conductors have given up and just look the other way. :)

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 11:06 AM, Nathan Dushman <n...@abtech.org> wrote:
I took Caltrain one morning this week (8:49 train from 22nd St). The unusually helpful conductor allowed all the bikes to board but the racks were all over capacity. Is this typical these days? If I were (at this point very hypothetically) to take a job on the Peninsula, would I find myself bumped routinely?

---

John Murphy

Feb 16, 2018, 2:30:16 PM2/16/18
to sf...@googlegroups.com
They really need to extend the AM rush hour - it would be trivial to make the 9 AM local an express, as it stands the last express is chaos, and the 9 AM is fairly quiet.

Zak Jarvis

Mike Wood

Feb 17, 2018, 10:28:27 AM2/17/18
to SF2G
Uh oh - so there's not really a reverse commute anymore?

Perhaps for my cycle-half-way mornings it is easier to leave the bike at 4th/King and walk the other end. On the evening leg I am looking to time a trip from Belmont/Hillsdale to connect with the one-an-hour Tiburon Ferry so being bumped will cost ... an hour. Driving almost sounds appealing.

hogorni

Feb 18, 2018, 11:07:59 AM2/18/18
to SF2G
Mike,
Your comment is publishable for the newspaper Letter to the Editor Caltrain campaign we have going at bikeso...@sonic.net.  If you would submit it to bikes on board as is, or if you want to elaborate to 200-250 words we'll get it in the pipeline.
pat

Clay Kunz

Feb 19, 2018, 12:04:29 PM2/19/18
to SF2G
MIke, I'm sure you're aware of this, but just in case others aren't:

Give yourself 12 to 15 minutes to get from Caltrain to the ferry. The ride is shorter than that, but it takes a few minutes to get from the train to the street. It's worthwhile being in the first car if you're cutting it close.

The Tiburon & Sausalito ferries run a few minutes late in the summer time, when it takes longer for tourists with bikes to unload in the south-bound direction. Cyclists have to carry their rental bikes up a flight of stairs onboard the boats right before they disembark, which some of them find difficult.

If you miss the Tiburon ferry, you can take one to Larkspur (if that makes sense for where you're going on the Tiburon peninsula) - they run every 30 minutes during rush hour, but: you risk getting bumped from the ferry too. Yup, it's not just the caltrain that fills up. The Larkspur ferry will sometimes leave a few minutes _early_ if it is full, and they'll turn people away at the fare gate when that happens.