OT: Sun Sprint Cracks

Marcelo Vanzin

Oct 12, 2016, 1:47:59 PM10/12/16
to SF2G
Some of us noticed this morning that the cracks on the Sun Sprint path near Sun (err... Facebook) are getting wider and are at the point where one could swallow a wheel and cause a nasty accident.

Who's responsible for fixing that? San Mateo County? We should ping someone before someone ends up with a broken wheel or worse.

(Or ride more Skyline.)

Peter Colijn

Oct 12, 2016, 2:11:06 PM10/12/16
to Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
Yeah those have been freaking me out recently too.

---

Nathan Davis

Oct 12, 2016, 2:50:39 PM10/12/16
to Peter Colijn, Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
No idea who fixes those, but I've increased my following distance on that section the last few times I've ridden it as they do look quite nasty.

-- Nathan

Darrin Ward

Oct 12, 2016, 3:15:56 PM10/12/16
to Nathan Davis, Peter Colijn, Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
from a thread on weed trimming along that trail in 2011 on the sf2g list
"I noticed that the weeds were getting a bit invasive on the Sun sprint, so I emailed ABAG, the maintainers of the bay trail, to let them know. They contacted the guy at Caltrans who is in charge of that trail and he is going to "send his crew out to mow the weeds as soon as possible."

maybe start there.

Darrin Ward

Oct 12, 2016, 3:18:54 PM10/12/16
to Nathan Davis, Peter Colijn, Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
more specifically i would start with

Laura Thompson, Project Manager, contact for San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties.

Marcelo Vanzin

Kurt Wallace Martin

Oct 12, 2016, 4:27:07 PM10/12/16
to van...@cloudera.com, SF2G
caltrans is responsible for the maintenance of that section of the trail. These are the contacts I have:
Herrera.Raul@dot.ca. gov

Marcelo Vanzin

Oct 14, 2016, 3:11:01 PM10/14/16
to SF2G
Got a reply from Laura:

Hi Marcelo,

Thanks very much for your note and for alerting us to this safety concern. I have forwarded the information to Caltrans (they own the trail right-of-way) and their bicycle/pedestrian coordinator has made a request of their maintenance department to fill the cracks.

For the longer term, Facebook will be resurfacing this section of Bay Trail as part of their larger campus expansion project which will also include a bicycle/pedestrian bridge over Highway 84. I'm not sure on the timing of this project, but I will let you know when Caltrans gets back to me about their short term fixes.

Thanks again,
Laura

Marcelo Vanzin

Oct 28, 2016, 7:35:30 PM10/28/16
to SF2G
Hey SF2Gers,

Laura from the Bay Trail group has asked me whether the work was done, since she got a reply from Caltrans, but I haven't really ridden there since I noticed the cracks...

Can anyone confirm whether things look better?

Thanks!

Alexandre Passos

Oct 28, 2016, 7:38:18 PM10/28/16
to Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
Yes. Some things (they look like the little stones tarmac is made out of) were put in the holes so they won't swallow wheels anymore. The stones can fly out when you ride over them but that's much better than the alternative.

---

 - Alexandre

Peter Chang

Oct 31, 2016, 1:07:12 PM10/31/16
to SF2G

Le vendredi 28 octobre 2016 16:35:30 UTC-7, Marcelo Vanzin a écrit :

Can anyone confirm whether things look better?

they poured some slurry into the larger cracks. they didn't play w/ a 'roller' so there are little ridges where the cracks used to be, but traffic will probably get these more even over time.

\p