ot: floor pump recommendations

Peter Chang

Aug 24, 2012, 11:06:36 PM8/24/12
to SF2G

something happened to my pump and my t-rex arms are struggling to get even 100psi. I took it apart for some greasing but no joy. any other recommended fixes or replacements?

\p

Ben Kochie

Aug 24, 2012, 11:33:58 PM8/24/12
to d...@google.com, SF2G
http://www.lezyne.com/products/floor-pumps/high-pressure#!Alloy-Floor-Drive

Been using this one for the last year. It uses a thread-on instead of
rubber gasket to attach to the valve stem. I had problems with it
pulling out removable presta valves until I added a couple of drops of
chain lube to the attachment. Now it works great.
> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/prep.html | unsub:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g

David Goldsmith

Aug 25, 2012, 1:31:40 AM8/25/12
to sup...@gmail.com, d...@google.com, SF2G
I've had the Blackburn Air Tower 3 for about a year now and been very happy with it.

I tried the Lezyne and found I didn't like having to thread the thingy around the stem every single time I wanted to pump up a tire. It's a cool idea, but it feels inconvenient and slow for daily use. (I really like the Lezyne hand pump, which has a similar way of attaching to the stem, but it's not something I need to use all that often.)

The Blackburn has worked flawlessly since I got it. It's the more conventional design, but quick to use.

David

Theo Cummings

Aug 25, 2012, 2:52:06 AM8/25/12
to d...@google.com, SF2G

On Aug 24, 2012, at 20:06, Peter Chang <d...@google.com> wrote:

something happened to my pump and my t-rex arms are struggling to get even 100psi. I took it apart for some greasing but no joy. any other recommended fixes or replacements?

\p

Patrick Kitto

Aug 25, 2012, 10:06:45 AM8/25/12
to theocu...@gmail.com, d...@google.com, SF2G
Silica. Tried and true design and fully servicable. It will be the last floor pump you buy.

Peter Chang

Aug 25, 2012, 10:37:28 AM8/25/12
to SF2G
2012/8/25 Patrick Kitto <patric...@gmail.com>:
> Silica. Tried and true design and fully servicable.

and it looks like it's easier to get the washer thingees now (which is
why mine has probably rotted away). on the downside, my chuck is a
little like the lezyne where i spend a little time futzing w/ it vs
threaded valves.

\p

DHK Goes Well With Coffee

Aug 25, 2012, 12:35:25 PM8/25/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, my recommendation is this
  1. it's end-user serviceable
  2. the gauge is at the top of the pump; suitable for aging and inclement eyes (possibly OT for this crowd, but who knows...)
  3. and this ought not be as important as it is: it's easy and obvious to use. Too often you find a pump and it's a device built from transparent aluminum borrowing heavily from Heath-Robinson's design philosophy.

Hyper

Aug 26, 2012, 12:11:45 PM8/26/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I'll second the recommendation on Blackburn.  The lifetime guarantee is for real.  Had mine over 15 years and admire it every time I use it. Called for a new hose, they said if I needed it right away, they would send a whole new pump or just the hose in 8 days since it was on back order.  Mine has gauge at floor level.  Gauge at the top would be nice since floor gauge gets harder to read when pump gets dusty in garage.

steve armijo

Aug 28, 2012, 12:58:18 AM8/28/12
to d...@google.com, SF2G
I've got a Silca like this:
http://www.sportaid.com/silca-floor-pump-high-pressure.html

I've got one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Ozone-Comp-Floor/dp/B0055BRVXS

and one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-JoeBlow-Floor-Bike-Pump/dp/B000FIE4GI

The Planet Bike is utter crap. It eventually gets air into the tire
eventually but the handle is crap and the head is almost that good.
The Silca I've had for probably 15 years and it mostly works but does
require some holding of the head so that it doesn't leak. I'm sure it
can be rebuilt but I just haven't. The Topeak is my goto pump. It
moves a good amount of air on each pump and the head works well enough
if you just use the presta side. If you go back and forth it'll
sometimes get confused for a stroke or two. I think I've had the
Topeak for maybe 5 years after a short affair with a Park Tool pump
that leaked, had a pressure gage that started at 15PSI and could not
hold pressure enough to make it past 80PSI.

-s

Scott Crosby

Aug 28, 2012, 1:17:44 AM8/28/12
to st...@subgeni.us, d...@google.com, SF2G
Exactly what I was going to say: Joe Blow Pro FTW!  Metal. Gauge at top. Works on both valve types well.

Park floor pumps are crap btw.

Aaron Nathan

Aug 28, 2012, 1:59:11 AM8/28/12
to scr...@gmail.com, st...@subgeni.us, d...@google.com, SF2G
+1 joe blow. i have the poor man version in yellow. i can even get stans to work in 29er wheels with this thing.

-aaron

Judd Blair

Aug 28, 2012, 2:03:11 AM8/28/12
to ana...@gmail.com, scr...@gmail.com, st...@subgeni.us, d...@google.com, SF2G
I have the "poor man yellow" flavor as well (joe blow sport). Sweet as hell - metal tube, tons of pressure - I actually prefer the double sided head over the pros universal one, but the pro does seem more sturdy. Still, thing has lasted me almost 5 years and doesnt show signs of slowing down.

Scott Dier

Aug 28, 2012, 8:28:33 AM8/28/12
to judd...@gmail.com, ana...@gmail.com, scr...@gmail.com, st...@subgeni.us, d...@google.com, SF2G
I've also been using a joe blow sport for ~2 years without problems.
Scott Dier <sc...@dier.name>

Jason Thorpe

Aug 28, 2012, 11:41:17 AM8/28/12

On Aug 27, 2012, at 10:17 PM, Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly what I was going to say: Joe Blow Pro FTW! Metal. Gauge at top. Works on both valve types well.

I have a Joe Blow Sport that I've used for many years... but these days the gauge no longer works. It still inflates well, but I can't tell how much.

I also have a Specialized-branded pump I picked up at Evolution Bike in Cupertino (it's near my office) that works well enough. Can't speak to longevity yet (only had it for a couple of years now).

-- thorpej

serena

Aug 29, 2012, 12:04:22 AM8/29/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com, scr...@gmail.com, st...@subgeni.us, d...@google.com
Joe Blow Pro – i have this too and it works, but i've had to change heads 2x. the plastic/rubber on the inside seems to degrade pretty easily, so i called them up a couple of months after buying. couldn't have been nicer; sent a new universal head double quick. when i had the same problem a few months later, we switched to the 2-sided head – pick a side for presta/shrader. now it leaks again, but i've gotten fairly good at the little dance of pumping while keeping seal with one toe. i can say that when i spoke with the cust. svc. folks, they didn't seem at all surprised by the non-seal issues. i guess that happens with pumps, but someday i'd like to go back to pumping with both feet on the ground.

Peter Chang

Jun 20, 2017, 11:31:42 PM6/20/17
to SF2G
i got a lezyne one from sports basement because it was cheap enough. i should have been cautioned by the fact that they list replacement gauges (http://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-acc-v2220gauge.php#.WUnnkhM19UA) on their site. washers/hose, sure, but how often does the actual gauge go bad? well, last night the gauge exploded (literally, the face blew off and there are little gauge-y bits rattling around).

at least i know where to get a replacement, but i guess i should have sucked up the shipping/schlepping and bought one of the recommended ones mail-order.

\p

Ben Blizard

Jun 21, 2017, 12:33:27 AM6/21/17
to d...@google.com, SF2G
1 park tool -- never failed.
1 joe blow -- the gasket failed once and it was serviced for free
because my bike shop guy is awesome.
> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
> ---
> "SF2G" group.
> email to sf2g+uns...@googlegroups.com.

Ben Blizard
Voice: (650) 450-0037

Ben Kochie

Jun 21, 2017, 1:45:44 AM6/21/17
to Peter Chang, SF2G
Yikes, mine's been fine since I bought it.  Exploding gauge sounds like damage to me.

---

Ted Lesher_

Jun 21, 2017, 12:15:47 PM6/21/17
to SF2G, d...@google.com
I just got this guy on amazon- Vibrelli floor pump- works a lot better than my old one which required serious effort to get over 100 psi:

Peter Chang

Jun 21, 2017, 12:19:00 PM6/21/17
to SF2G
> Exploding gauge sounds like damage to me.

yep, but i'm not sure how i'd have hit anything on the innards, it has
fallen over more times than i should admit but still weird.

\p

Nathan Davis

Jun 21, 2017, 1:15:48 PM6/21/17
to Peter Chang, SF2G
I still have my specialized air tool pro which I purchased about ten years ago or so. The hose split at one point but amazingly, they still make the pump so I was able to find a replacement and have had no other issues since.

-- Nathan

\p

Peter Chang

Jun 21, 2017, 2:46:10 PM6/21/17
to SF2G

Le mercredi 21 juin 2017 10:15:48 UTC-7, nadavis a écrit :
I still have my specialized air tool pro which I purchased about ten years ago or so.

yeah, my old silca was going on a super long life (w/ replacing the gasket) until somehow water got into the barallel and stuff started rusting. i'd've never tried the lezyne w/ the silca in good shape :-(

whoever re-introduced the new silca is ~insane. the pump is >$200.

\p

Nathan Davis

Jun 21, 2017, 4:56:26 PM6/21/17
to Peter Chang, SF2G
Well, if it's the last pump you ever buy... crazy about the rust. We had a silca at a shop I used to work at in college that had been around longer than any of the employees. Looked like crap but worked quite well. We'd take it apart every so often and grease up the internals if it started acting up.

-- Nathan

Peter Chang

Jun 21, 2017, 5:04:10 PM6/21/17
to SF2G
> Well, if it's the last pump you ever buy...

good point

> crazy about the rust.

yeah, it was at the base of the barel so i figured somehow it sat in
water during the winter and i didn't notice (even though i used it
almost every day) until it started 'leaking'.

\p

Daniel Hobe

Jun 21, 2017, 6:20:15 PM6/21/17
to Peter Chang, SF2G
$200 is a great deal! I want the $500 version though :)

\p

---

Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com>

Ben Kraft

Viet-Trung Luu

Jun 21, 2017, 10:57:54 PM6/21/17
to Nathan Davis, Peter Chang, SF2G
Another +1 for Specialized pumps. I have the cheap Sport model, and it's still going strong after six years. (The pricier models have nicer/bigger gauges and slightly nicer heads, I guess.)

It's also a much better pump (faster, more solidly built, more stable) than the Lezynes. (I foolishly bought a Lezyne with a digital gauge, on the theory that using a separate digital pressure gauge was silly. In addition to the head sucking and the pump not being particularly fast or convenient, the gauge isn't properly zeroed (it bounces between 0 and 1) so it never automatically powers off. (I would have returned it, but pumps are a pain to ship. I'd call Lezyne to complain, but I'm lazy.)

Patrick Lea

Jun 22, 2017, 1:11:42 AM6/22/17
to Viet-Trung Luu, Nathan Davis, Peter Chang, SF2G
Another +1 for specialized pumps. I have had mine for at least 10 years and still going strong. Some rust on the bottom but still pumps great.