wed may 10 - mt hamway - 24/mish bart - 0515 - style fun

Peter Colijn

Mar 30, 2017, 2:26:41 PM3/30/17
to SF2G
Mark your calendars, and submit that vacation day request NOW!

Bike to work day is May 11 this year. That means May 10 is Mount Ham Way Day!

I'll also be doing my traditional YawyabNoomFlah on the way home for anyone interested.

From last year's ride call:

We will be targeting the Dublin/Pleasanton train that arrives at 0608.  Departure times from SF:

Glen Park — 0512
24th Mission — 0515 (this is where I'll be boarding)
16th Mission — 0517

After BART, we’ll be stopping at the Noah’s / Starbucks on Santa Rita Rd. to fuel up.

I anticipate we’ll hit the Junction at around 0945.

Alexandre Passos

Mar 30, 2017, 2:38:09 PM3/30/17
to caffeine, SF2G
+1. Vacation requested!

This year should be amazing. I hope we still have wildflowers by then.

---

 - Alexandre

David Goldsmith

Mar 30, 2017, 8:13:32 PM3/30/17
to alexan...@gmail.com, caffeine, SF2G
Hey, I can make it this year - finally! My first time ever.

It's on my calendar, will request a day off.

Any other SF2G alums coming?

- David

Christine Ryan

Mar 30, 2017, 8:42:56 PM3/30/17
to alexan...@gmail.com, caffeine, d...@dgolds.com, SF2G
Maybe me! Also for the first time ever...at least the first time doing Mt. Ham at such a ridiculously early hour...

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:
Mark your calendars, and submit that vacation day request NOW!

Bike to work day is May 11 this year. That means May 10 is Mount Ham Way Day!

I'll also be doing my traditional YawyabNoomFlah on the way home for anyone interested.

From last year's ride call:

We will be targeting the Dublin/Pleasanton train that arrives at 0608.  Departure times from SF:

Glen Park — 0512
24th Mission — 0515 (this is where I'll be boarding)
16th Mission — 0517

After BART, we’ll be stopping at the Noah’s / Starbucks on Santa Rita Rd. to fuel up.

I anticipate we’ll hit the Junction at around 0945.
---

 - Alexandre
---

---
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Robert Griesmeyer

Mar 30, 2017, 8:43:54 PM3/30/17
to SF2G
So this is a ride to Mt. Hamilton and back?

Alexandre Passos

Mar 30, 2017, 8:47:49 PM3/30/17
to Robert Griesmeyer, SF2G
No, up Mt hamilton from the backside (through Mines rd), down to San Jose, and then midway to work. This is my ride from 2 years ago: https://www.strava.com/activities/304082189

---

 - Alexandre

Peter Colijn

Mar 30, 2017, 8:59:59 PM3/30/17
to Alexandre Passos, SF2G
Are you riding the singlespeed?

Alexandre Passos

Mar 30, 2017, 9:02:55 PM3/30/17
to Peter Colijn, SF2G
I can neither confirm nor deny that.

(but really, probably not; the low-geared one might work for the climb but I shudder at the thought of it on all those flat road segments)
--
 - Alexandre

John Murphy

Mar 30, 2017, 9:57:43 PM3/30/17
to sf...@googlegroups.com
the flat road segments? Not the 19 mile descent? (or is it not fixed...?)

Robert Griesmeyer

Mar 30, 2017, 11:54:19 PM3/30/17
to SF2G, gri...@gmail.com
Looks rad. I'm gonna sign up.  Pretty sure you're not riding the fixie for this.

 - Alexandre

Justin!

Mar 31, 2017, 9:25:55 AM3/31/17
to SF2G
In. Sounds awesome. I've always wanted to ride Mt. Hamilton!

Alexandre Passos

Mar 31, 2017, 11:54:31 AM3/31/17
to Robert Griesmeyer, SF2G
I never ride fixed. I do remember a lot of junk miles in Pleasanton and San Jose.

Peter Chang

Mar 31, 2017, 5:14:50 PM3/31/17
to SF2G

Le jeudi 30 mars 2017 18:02:55 UTC-7, Alexandre Passos a écrit :

(but really, probably not; the low-geared one might work for the climb but I shudder at the thought of it on all those flat road segments)

i did it (albeit w/o the ride back) w/ kitto/guiga a little while back 42x17 which is only slightly taller than your 38x16. you'd be fine.

\p

Marcelo V.

Mar 31, 2017, 10:52:36 PM3/31/17
to SF2G
+1. Sounds just like what I need after WCC. :-)

Jeremy Yost

Apr 1, 2017, 11:26:51 PM4/1/17
to SF2G
Thanks for calling Hamway! I look forward to it all year!
+1
If I do YawyabNoomFlah this year will it hold you back?

Georgia Andrews

Apr 2, 2017, 12:38:58 AM4/2/17
to Jeremy Yost, SF2G
I'm definitely not in shape enough this year, but protip: there's cold, fresh water from a spring someone stuck a pipe into about 2 miles from the top. It's on the far/left side of the road on a righthand switchback so it's easy to miss if you're not looking.

---

Director of Engineering @ RideAlongWomen Who Code San Francisco City Director

Philipp von Weitershausen

Apr 3, 2017, 3:05:58 AM4/3/17
to SF2G
+1

Chris Barnes

Apr 4, 2017, 3:45:06 AM4/4/17
to SF2G
+1

Will be staying in Pleasanton and can meet at the station or even just join after people get coffee.  What time do you expect to leave Noah's / Starbucks?  Looking forward to a morning ride there!

bonnie

Apr 16, 2017, 8:08:39 PM4/16/17
to SF2G
Unsure if I will be able to make it this year.
And
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/display.php?page=sr130
It does look like 130 has a closure (the part  close to San Jose) and the detour involves Quimby Rd to get to San Jose.  I heard rumor that 130 was to re-open mid May, so perhaps in time for the 10th?
Does anyone know any more?

Jason Thorpe

Apr 16, 2017, 9:03:43 PM4/16/17
to bon...@tmbox.com, SF2G
I doubt it will be open in time.  Plan to take Quimby.

---

-- thorpej

scott :)

Apr 18, 2017, 12:13:06 AM4/18/17
to SF2G

Alexandre Passos

Apr 18, 2017, 12:14:25 AM4/18/17
to scott, SF2G
All the results say may 11, though the boxy thingie says 19 for no good reason.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:13 PM, scott :) <sc...@greenboogers.com> wrote:
---

 - Alexandre

Jason Ally

Peter Colijn

Apr 18, 2017, 12:57:41 AM4/18/17
to Jason Ally, SF2G, sc...@greenboogers.com
Yeah the bay area traditionally does it ~1 week before everyone else for some reason...

Pretty sure it's may 11 here based on all the sfbc spam I'm getting about it.

scott :)

Apr 18, 2017, 12:59:08 AM4/18/17
to Peter Colijn, Jason Ally, SF2G
Ok I'll let my HR dept know who has made me the defacto rep.

Jeremy Yost

May 8, 2017, 12:07:10 PM5/8/17
to SF2G
Looking forward to Hamway on Wednesday! The road closure just means there's a detour on the way down, right?

Peter Colijn

May 8, 2017, 12:52:04 PM5/8/17
to Jeremy Yost, SF2G
Yep, we'll have to take quimby. I'll try to send out a route today or tomorrow.

On 8 May 2017 09:07, "Jeremy Yost" <jerem...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looking forward to Hamway on Wednesday! The road closure just means there's a detour on the way down, right?

George Lumpkin

May 8, 2017, 5:45:51 PM5/8/17
to SF2G

Okay, I think that I have successfully fended off meetings for Wednesday, so I'm seriously considering this. This is a bit further than my usual rides, so I was thinking a bit about preparation.

I read thru the Mt Ham Way calls from previous years, but had a few questions:
 - What do folks bring? Two water bottles, I assume. And lots of food? Do folks bring backpacks with extra food/water/layers, or just stash everything in pockets?
 - It looks, from previous strava tracks, that it's about 96 miles to mountain view or 82 miles to San Jose. But the elapsed times were all over the map. Any idea of when we'd probably arrive back to civilization?

PS. Perhaps it would be good to add these items (+ route map) to the 'template' for Mt Ham Way ride call for next year ...

Alexandre Passos

May 8, 2017, 5:47:29 PM5/8/17
to george. lumpkin, SF2G
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 2:45 PM, George Lumpkin <george....@gmail.com> wrote:

Okay, I think that I have successfully fended off meetings for Wednesday, so I'm seriously considering this. This is a bit further than my usual rides, so I was thinking a bit about preparation.

I read thru the Mt Ham Way calls from previous years, but had a few questions:
 - What do folks bring? Two water bottles, I assume. And lots of food? Do folks bring backpacks with extra food/water/layers, or just stash everything in pockets?

Two water bottles and food is usually fine. There is water at the fire station by the junction and at the top of the mountain. I might bring a camelback just in case it gets too hot again.

 - It looks, from previous strava tracks, that it's about 96 miles to mountain view or 82 miles to San Jose. But the elapsed times were all over the map. Any idea of when we'd probably arrive back to civilization?

Depends wildly on the group and pace we're setting.

PS. Perhaps it would be good to add these items (+ route map) to the 'template' for Mt Ham Way ride call for next year ...

---

 - Alexandre

Peter Colijn

May 8, 2017, 5:49:57 PM5/8/17
to Alexandre Passos, george. lumpkin, SF2G
Yeah the times have varied a lot due to mechanicals as well. Last year Dave Borowitz had a flat on his Brompton and didn't really have all the right tools to fix it, so it took a while to get that sorted.

So, when you ask what to bring: make sure you have tools and spares and stuff!

Beckett Madden-Woods

Peter Colijn

ammon

Justin!

May 9, 2017, 12:01:51 PM5/9/17
to SF2G
I was excited to do this but I don't think I'm in shape for it. My longest ride of the year was 70 miles and 4K and it left me pretty beat. This is 30 miles longer and 2-3k more climbing.

Justin!

May 9, 2017, 12:29:53 PM5/9/17
to SF2G
Actually, it looks like there are 2 shorter options for those not actually going to Google

1. Bail to Caltrain in SJ - approx 80 miles total

2. Bail to BART (ride North from Great Mall to Warm Springs) - approx 92 miles

Interesting...

David Goldsmith

May 9, 2017, 1:02:33 PM5/9/17
to roja...@gmail.com, SF2G
If it's any comfort, there will be at least one ride on the slower side
coming along (me).

It's my first Mt. Hamway - I've heard there's lots of regroups and
people don't push the pace too much - could some of the veterans confirm
this is true?

Peter Colijn

May 9, 2017, 1:17:43 PM5/9/17
to d...@dgolds.com, A Roja, SF2G
Yes, this is definitely a social ride. Regroups (at a minimum) at the junction, before the steep part of the climb starts (5 miles to the summit), the summit itself, CA-130 & quimby (to make sure folks make the turn) and the bottom of quimby.

Oh and for folks who haven't done this before: when you get to the top of hamilton, there is a big '0' on the road. TURN LEFT and go up a bit further to get to the observatory. If you just roll straight through you'll start the descent. We always regroup at the observatory where the most critical feature of the entire ride -- the coke machine -- is located. I actually included this out-and-back on my ridewithgps route, so if you load it on your gps it should tell you to do the right thing.

Alexandre Passos

May 9, 2017, 1:17:46 PM5/9/17
to dg, A Roja, SF2G
San jose caltrain is what I did last year and what I'm likely to do again. This is a long ride but it doesn't have that much elevation (like, 50ft/mi for the full version, I think) and the pace is very friendly. If you can swing it, it's great fun.

Last two years (the only two times I did it) we regrouped a few times and waited for everyone, even at one point going back to search for borowitz with his flat.

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 10:02 AM, David Goldsmith <d...@dgolds.com> wrote:

 - Alexandre

Marcelo Vanzin

May 9, 2017, 1:23:27 PM5/9/17
to SF2G
Last time I did this (2015) we bailed to Caltrain and stopped for lunch on the way:

Sausage sandwich + duck fat fries... hmm...

As usual I plan to take my time on the climbs, so there will be plenty of resting time for Peter up front.

Justin!

May 9, 2017, 2:16:44 PM5/9/17
to SF2G
After the initial Starbucks, is it right to figure there will be no more places to buy food so we should bring enough foods/bars/gels to last about 9 hours?

Alexandre Passos

May 9, 2017, 2:18:01 PM5/9/17
to A Roja, SF2G
There is some food at the vending machine at the top but no other place to buy real food until we come back down.

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Justin! <roja...@gmail.com> wrote:
After the initial Starbucks, is it right to figure there will be no more places to buy food so we should bring enough foods/bars/gels to last about 9 hours?
---

 - Alexandre

Marcelo Vanzin

May 9, 2017, 2:18:24 PM5/9/17
to SF2G
I think there's also a snack vending machine at the observatory. But otherwise, yeah, no food until San Jose.

Jason Ally

May 9, 2017, 4:30:08 PM5/9/17
to SF2G
+1

I had two meetings on my calendar tomorrow but just got them moved. Looking forward to this!

Viet-Trung Luu

May 9, 2017, 9:38:52 PM5/9/17
to SF2G
Fuck it, +1. What am I doing. Also, damn that's early.

Christine Ryan

May 9, 2017, 9:51:31 PM5/9/17
to SF2G, viettr...@gmail.com
Heh. Also, confirming my +1, now that my front derailleur works again. (Thanks, New Wheel "urgent walk-in care"! :) )

---
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Justin!

May 9, 2017, 10:23:46 PM5/9/17
to SF2G
Ok, I might regret this but YOLO!

+1

Justin!

May 9, 2017, 10:24:47 PM5/9/17
to SF2G
(BTW my plan is to go to BART in Warm Springs at the end if anyone else is headed that way)

David Goldsmith

May 9, 2017, 11:35:22 PM5/9/17
to roja...@gmail.com, SF2G
Either Warm Springs or Diridon, whichever's closer coming off the
mountain. I'd prefer to stop for lunch as Marcelo was saying earlier.

David Goldsmith

May 9, 2017, 11:36:10 PM5/9/17
to viettr...@gmail.com, SF2G
All right, TRUNG! Peer pressure FTW!

Nathan Dushman

May 10, 2017, 12:32:20 AM5/10/17
to SF2G
Don't forget that from San Jose Diridon you can also catch Amtrak to Oakland and Berkeley, with a bicycle, although on a less frequent schedule than Caltrain.

Wish I could join, but sadly it's not an option for me this year.

Philipp von Weitershausen

May 10, 2017, 1:06:23 AM5/10/17
to SF2G
-1

sad to miss this, have fun! next year i hope!

On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 12:05:58 AM UTC-7, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
+1

On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 11:26:41 AM UTC-7, Peter Colijn wrote:
Mark your calendars, and submit that vacation day request NOW!

Bike to work day is May 11 this year. That means May 10 is Mount Ham Way Day!

I'll also be doing my traditional YawyabNoomFlah on the way home for anyone interested.

From last year's ride call:

We will be targeting the Dublin/Pleasanton train that arrives at 0608.  Departure times from SF:

Glen Park — 0512
24th Mission — 0515 (this is where I'll be boarding)
16th Mission — 0517

After BART, we’ll be stopping at the Noah’s / Starbucks on Santa Rita Rd. to fuel up.

I anticipate we’ll hit the Junction at around 0945.

Christine Ryan

May 10, 2017, 1:09:41 AM5/10/17
to SF2G, n...@abtech.org
Damn, Nathan...it's our chance to do the ride in  under-90-degree conditions! :)

We'll miss you!

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 9:32 PM Nathan Dushman <n...@abtech.org> wrote:
Don't forget that from San Jose Diridon you can also catch Amtrak to Oakland and Berkeley, with a bicycle, although on a less frequent schedule than Caltrain.

Wish I could join, but sadly it's not an option for me this year.

---

Beckett Madden-Woods

May 10, 2017, 4:44:03 PM5/10/17
to crya...@gmail.com, SF2G, n...@abtech.org

Oops... I totally blew past Quimby. I guess it's at the bottom of the 2nd climb not the top! Road is open all the way to Alum Rock. Ping me if you guys head/ed down Quimby and I'll try to intercept. Otherwise I'll chill at 130/Alum Rock to see if anyone else shows up.

Viet-Trung Luu

Beckett Madden-Woods

Viet-Trung Luu

Beckett Madden-Woods

Justin!

May 10, 2017, 6:32:40 PM5/10/17
to SF2G
Safely on BART! Great ride! Thanks!

Peter Colijn

May 10, 2017, 7:33:10 PM5/10/17
to A Roja, SF2G
Success!

On 10 May 2017 15:32, "Justin!" <roja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Safely on BART!  Great ride!  Thanks!

---
IMG_20170510_163222.jpg

David Goldsmith

May 10, 2017, 8:23:22 PM5/10/17
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G, A Roja
Marcelo and I almost back in SF now after lunch in San Jose and Caltrain home. A great day!

Viet-Trung Luu

May 10, 2017, 8:27:05 PM5/10/17
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G, A Roja
I successfully put the V in SF2G, did maybe 20 minutes of work, and had the most satisfying Coke ever (because <attached>).

Thanks for calling, Peter!
IMG_20170510_120112.jpg

Marcelo V.

May 10, 2017, 9:09:36 PM5/10/17
to SF2G
Here are the pics from my phone, including the group shots:
https://goo.gl/photos/G8SyVkDUQ2zR73B97

On May 10, 2017 4:33 PM, "Peter Colijn" <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:
Success!

On 10 May 2017 15:32, "Justin!" <roja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Safely on BART!  Great ride!  Thanks!

---

---

Alexandre Passos

May 10, 2017, 9:13:00 PM5/10/17
to Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
Thanks for sharing!

Thank y'all also for coming; Mt Hamway is such a nice ride (most rides of this length are a once-and-done for me, but I keep coming back to this one for how enjoyable it is). We also had perfect weather today.

(I feel great; almost as if I didn't bonk at the top...)

 - Alexandre

Christine Ryan

May 10, 2017, 9:13:27 PM5/10/17
to A Roja, caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G
(You'll notice that despite the wide array of beverages, there was no Coke...but Showercoke awaits!!!)

Thanks for calling, Peter, and for towing us across the South Bay! Oh, and the cookies, of course!)

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 4:33 PM Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:
Success!

On 10 May 2017 15:32, "Justin!" <roja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Safely on BART!  Great ride!  Thanks!

---

---

Jason Ally

May 10, 2017, 9:42:57 PM5/10/17
to A Roja, caff...@colijn.ca, crya...@gmail.com, SF2G
Thanks for the pictures, Marcelo! And thanks everyone for such an awesome ride. Is it fair to say we've earned our chill BTWD ride tomorrow?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Alexandre Passos

David Goldsmith

May 10, 2017, 10:04:34 PM5/10/17
to crya...@gmail.com, A Roja, caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G
A staple in my rear tire at mile 79 caused a flat, which I tired to deal with by pumping the tube because "only three miles out." Shoulda just changed it but I after seeing how weirdly the staple was lodged in the tire, I'm not sure that I would have been able to get it out (and not sure if I would have been as macha as Chris to boot it). It slow leaked the rest of the day. Oh, well. Just picked up two (needed) new tires and should be good to go for tomorrow.

After listening to you guys talk about "cokes at the top" all day, I downed an ice-cold Mexican coke as soon as I got home. Maybe not as good as "showercoke" though.

Alexandre Passos

Christine Ryan

May 10, 2017, 10:17:16 PM5/10/17
to Alexandre Passos, dg, A Roja, SF2G, caffeine
When I moved into my place, there was already a shelf just above (my) head height on the far side of the tub from the shower head. Perfect spot for a radio and the beverage of your choice. No suds/water contamination.

And I dunno why...but cold drinks qnd warm water work just as well as, say, hot chocolate and warm water do in winter. Can't explain it.

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 7:06 PM Alexandre Passos <alexan...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Christine Ryan

May 10, 2017, 10:21:43 PM5/10/17
to A Roja, caff...@colijn.ca, d...@dgolds.com, SF2G
Huh--I picked up a staple too! Just across from Levi's Stadium, so I'm blaming them. (Thanks again for the tube and CO2, Trung!)

Glad you made it home okay, David!

Yvonne Yip

Zak Jarvis

May 10, 2017, 11:03:36 PM5/10/17
to crya...@gmail.com, A Roja, caff...@colijn.ca, d...@dgolds.com, SF2G
Damn. Next year! Next year I will have this year's TBC under my belt and thus in shape to do this ride.

Peter Colijn

May 11, 2017, 1:35:54 AM5/11/17
to Zak Jarvis, d...@dgolds.com, SF2G, crya...@gmail.com, A Roja
Success #2! Thanks everyone for coming!

On 10 May 2017 20:03, "Zak Jarvis" <voidm...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

IMG_20170510_223440.jpg

Christine Ryan

Christine Ryan

Peter Colijn

May 11, 2017, 5:10:19 PM5/11/17
to Christine Ryan, Zak Jarvis, A Roja, SF2G, d...@dgolds.com
"""
The technical descent down Quimby Road
"""

you don't say...

Christine Ryan

May 15, 2017, 12:16:51 PM5/15/17
to Peter Colijn, Zak Jarvis, A Roja, SF2G, d...@dgolds.com
Thinking about today's ToC stage reminded me to look up what was actually mined near Mines Road...found this: http://www.elivermore.com/photos/Hist_lvr_tesla.htm

Yvonne Yip

May 15, 2017, 1:35:16 PM5/15/17
to Peter Colijn, crya...@gmail.com, A Roja, SF2G, Zak Jarvis, d...@dgolds.com
Very interesting! I thought Tesla Rd is named after the car company... (I guess Fremont is nowhere near Livermore...)

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 09:16 Christine Ryan <crya...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thinking about today's ToC stage reminded me to look up what was actually mined near Mines Road...found this: http://www.elivermore.com/photos/Hist_lvr_tesla.htm
On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:
"""
The technical descent down Quimby Road
"""

you don't say...
On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Christine Ryan <crya...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oh, and on the topic of the Tour of California (that "bike event" we kept seeing signs for), yes, this year there will be a four-day women's race, whic starts TODAY in South Lake Tahoe. The men's race starts in Sacramento on Sunday. Then on Monday they tackle Mount Hamilton: http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/stage2

[...]

Jason Ally

May 15, 2017, 2:30:00 PM5/15/17
to Yvonne Yip, Peter Colijn, Christine Ryan, A Roja, SF2G, Zak Jarvis, d...@dgolds.com
Very cool! I incorrectly assumed the mines were for gold or other minerals. Who would've known that the mines were for coal.

Looking forward to watching the ToC coverage later today. I wonder how riders will fare on both the Hamilton ascent as well as the Quimby descent -- or if they'll set any Strava segment records.

Hurray!

Success!

---
Sent from Gmail Mobile