OT: parking in the bike lane

Daniel S. Chao

Mar 2, 2015, 2:53:38 PM3/2/15
to SF2G
guess it's legal. wtf?

Inline image 1

Bret Lobree

Mar 2, 2015, 3:00:27 PM3/2/15
to Daniel Chao, SF2G
Looking here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/parking#noparking scroll down to illegal parking...Not sure how "In a bicycle lane" isn't double parking, but maybe that's just our SF bike lanes that are not all the way to the curb. Also note that it's not legal to park w/in 15 ft of a fire hydrant. Why isn't the FD up in arms about this in SF? I don't think I've ever seen that much curb space devoted to a hydrant...

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Daniel S. Chao <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:
guess it's legal. wtf?

Inline image 1

---

Patrick Lea

Mar 2, 2015, 3:09:19 PM3/2/15
to Bret Lobree, Daniel Chao, SF2G
The relevant wording is actually in Traffic Lanes.
You may park in a bicycle lane if your vehicle does not block a bicyclist and/or there is not a “No Parking” sign posted.

Seems like a crappy way to write it up. As it gives a great way to fight a ticket and it also implies that it matters if there are cyclist present which can change.

Matt Redmond

Mar 2, 2015, 3:18:05 PM3/2/15
to patri...@gmail.com, Bret Lobree, Daniel Chao, SF2G
CVC 21211:

Obstruction of Bikeways or Bicycle Paths or Trails 21211. (a) No person may stop, stand, sit, or loiter upon any class I bikeway, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 890.4 of the Streets and Highways Code, or any other public or private bicycle path or trail, if the stopping, standing, sitting, or loitering impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of any bicyclist. (b) No person may place or park any bicycle, vehicle, or any other object upon any bikeway or bicycle path or trail, as specified in subdivision (a), which impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of any bicyclist unless the placement or parking is necessary for safe operation or is otherwise in compliance with the law. (c) This section does not apply to drivers or owners of utility or public utility vehicles, as provided in Section 22512. (d) This section does not apply to owners or drivers of vehicles who make brief stops while engaged in the delivery of newspapers to customers along the person’s route. (e) This section does not apply to the driver or owner of a rubbish or garbage truck while actually engaged in the collection of rubbish or garbage within a business or residence district if the front turn signal lamps at each side of the vehicle are being flashed simultaneously and the rear turn signal lamps at each side of the vehicle are being flashed simultaneously. (f) This section does not apply to the driver or owner of a tow vehicle while actually engaged in the towing of a vehicle if the front turn signal lamps at each side of the vehicle are being flashed simultaneously and the rear turn signal lamps at each side of the vehicle are being flashed simultaneously.

As far as I read it, this means that unless you're a public utility (PG&E, etc), a newspaper delivery truck actively delivering newspapers, a garbageman actively picking up garbage, or a tow truck actively towing a car, you cannot stop in the bike lane. Am I misinterpreting?

Bret Lobree

Mar 2, 2015, 3:21:16 PM3/2/15
to Matt Redmond, Patrick Lea, Daniel Chao, SF2G
Are bike lanes class 1?

Patrick Kitto

Mar 2, 2015, 3:30:54 PM3/2/15
to Bret Lobree, Matt Redmond, Patrick Lea, Daniel Chao, SF2G
Class 1 bikeway is a separated path.
Class 2 is a bike lane
class 3 is sharrows or designated route.

Daniel Chao

Mar 2, 2015, 3:37:32 PM3/2/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, blo...@gmail.com, mttr...@gmail.com, patri...@gmail.com, daniel...@gmail.com

class 1 bike lanes are relatively rare in sf. panhandle and crissy field come to mind but other than that, it's class 2 and 3.

djconnel

Mar 2, 2015, 7:39:37 PM3/2/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I think soft posts create class 1 also.