OT: EPA "trail closed from 9/1 to"

Sam Uong

Aug 18, 2016, 1:17:56 PM8/18/16
to SF2G
That's what the sign says - there's no specified end date.

After a bit of Googling, I found this:

"On the Palo Alto side of the creek, the San Francisquito Creek trail between Geng Road and Friendship Bridge will be closed for the duration of the two-year construction phase, beginning on September 1."

https://nextdoor.com/agency-post/ca/san-mateo-county/county-of-san-mateo/san-francisquito-creek-flood-protection-project-upcoming-trail-closures-30433462/

What's the best way around? Chilco? EPA Dirt? Skyline?

Sam.

Alexandre Passos

Aug 18, 2016, 1:20:51 PM8/18/16
to Sam Uong, SF2G
Mt hamway.

But seriously, the first stretch of EPA dirt to embarcadero: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15947747

---

 - Alexandre

Cordelia Link

Aug 18, 2016, 1:25:18 PM8/18/16
to SF2G
Skyline.

But for FFFF purposes it's probably easiest to just go straight down Pulgas to E Bayshore slightly earlier.

djconnel

Aug 18, 2016, 3:11:00 PM8/18/16
to SF2G
Two years -- wasn't that the initial (and perpetual?) projected timeline for the Stevens Creek Dam project?  Sorry -- off topic.

Patrick Kitto

Aug 18, 2016, 3:50:28 PM8/18/16
to Dan Connelly, SF2G
and the skyline-crystal springs closure?

what are we in, year 7?

Darrin Ward

Aug 18, 2016, 3:57:25 PM8/18/16
to Patrick Kitto, Dan Connelly, SF2G
heh.  i dont think they are ever going to finish crystal springs.  admittedly what they are doing is hard but uh now it just seems like a terrible joke for cyclists.

they have closed that trail many times before for ummm work (deflooding :) ).

as cordella suggested, pulgas to e bayshore really isnt that bad.  i think i preferred it for a while because of all the gnats and the dodge the people game that trail often becomes.

Sam Uong

Aug 18, 2016, 4:18:28 PM8/18/16
to dmw...@gmail.com, Patrick Kitto, Dan Connelly, SF2G
Yeah the Crystal Springs Dam thing is getting to be pretty ridiculous now. It's still like a year out, right?

For EPA, it'd be cool if there was a route that didn't just skip the soon-to-be-closed trail, but also avoided the super sketchy left turn from University to Purdue. I've heard Chilco does this, but I've never done it before. What's the exact route, and does anyone recommend it, or recommend against it?

Sam.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM, Patrick Kitto <patric...@gmail.com> wrote:
and the skyline-crystal springs closure?

what are we in, year 7?
On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 12:10 PM, djconnel <djco...@gmail.com> wrote:
Two years -- wasn't that the initial (and perpetual?) projected timeline for the Stevens Creek Dam project?  Sorry -- off topic.

---

---

---

Alexandre Passos

Darrin Ward

Aug 18, 2016, 4:23:30 PM8/18/16
to Sam Uong, Patrick Kitto, Dan Connelly, SF2G
we were doing chilco for a while.  its fine.

we got stuck often at newbridge and willow often waiting for the light to turn.  its chilco to newbridge to saratoga which becomes e bayshore.

e bayshore is fine its just not the most pleasant.  kind of like just doing wailing wall.

[...]

Peter Colijn

Aug 18, 2016, 4:26:23 PM8/18/16
to Darrin Ward, Sam Uong, Patrick Kitto, Dan Connelly, SF2G
Yeah I used to do that for a while. Now that my office is in the colonies I go over the ped bridge and take Middlefield when I take Chilco. Lights on Middlefield kinda suck too but at least you avoid the cluster at FB/University/etc.

R Samuel Klatchko

Aug 18, 2016, 4:51:23 PM8/18/16
to SF2G, sam...@gmail.com, dmw...@gmail.com, patric...@gmail.com, djco...@gmail.com
When I looked back at the dam a few weeks ago while starting the Crystal Springs descent, it appeared to me that they had actually started construction of the roadway.

Chilco has less craziness but more stop signs (Strava segment).

On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 1:21:53 PM UTC-7, Alexandre Passos wrote:
[...]

Lina Mårtensson

Aug 18, 2016, 4:54:16 PM8/18/16
to R Samuel Klatchko, SF2G, sam...@gmail.com, Darrin Ward, Patrick Kitto, Dan Connelly
Yeah, I noticed the same the other day, I also believe they finally started to construct the road.

Or maybe it's just a sun deck for otters. It's not like I believe they'll actually ever reopen this section again, they'll find some way of failing at it.

Darrin Ward

Aug 18, 2016, 4:57:58 PM8/18/16
to R Samuel Klatchko, SF2G, Sam Uong, Patrick Kitto, Dan Connelly
that segment would just lead you back to pulgas which seems not very efficient.

i would make the right on saratoga and continue on e bayshore.  if i am all the way down there why not just continue along with the freeway?

Patrick Kitto

Aug 18, 2016, 8:17:16 PM8/18/16
to Lina Mårtensson, R Samuel Klatchko, SF2G, sam...@gmail.com, Darrin Ward, Dan Connelly
yeah, they at least have a contractor back out on site.

im guessing they had some contractual issues with Kewit and re-bid the work. hence the vacant site for the passed year or so.

Jeffrey Skokan

Aug 19, 2016, 12:16:34 PM8/19/16
to SF2G, lina.ma...@gmail.com, r.samuel...@gmail.com, sam...@gmail.com, dmw...@gmail.com, djco...@gmail.com
Not that I would ever do it for my fear of heights, but whatever happened to our effort to make the 280 Flyover legal?

Ryan Minobe

Sep 1, 2016, 6:09:30 PM9/1/16
to SF2G, lina.ma...@gmail.com, r.samuel...@gmail.com, sam...@gmail.com, dmw...@gmail.com, djco...@gmail.com
Trail status will apparently be updated weekly HERE.

That link came from this PROJECT PAGE.

If you really want to stay on top of it you can sign-up for a project specific MAILING LIST.

Cordelia Link

Sep 8, 2016, 2:16:17 PM9/8/16
to SF2G, lina.ma...@gmail.com, r.samuel...@gmail.com, sam...@gmail.com, dmw...@gmail.com, djco...@gmail.com
Working on the assumption that the trail was already closed I took the detour yesterday (apparently it's only closed sporadically). It was okay, but there was one stretch of E bayshore that had a traffic light regulated single lane.

There was a button that said that bikers should press it to get a green light but it was hard to get to because it required riding through a tight space between stopped cars and a barrier. I got almost all the way to it but there was a large SUV in the front of the line of cars which didn't leave enough space. Then this car decided to pull forward (through the red light stop line) for no good reason so I rode up and pressed the button. The light changed shortly after that but I'm not sure if it was from timing or from my actions.

TLDR: Detour is okay but it might take awhile to get a big group through (unless someone wants to navigate through a tight line to press the button which may or may not work).

Viet-Trung Luu

Sep 15, 2016, 12:22:43 PM9/15/16
to Ryan Minobe, SF2G, Lina Mårtensson, R Samuel Klatchko, Sam Uong, Darrin Ward, Dan Connelly
So, the bridge was closed today (so EPA dirt wasn't an option either).

The trail on the other side was also "closed" (i.e., not posted as closed, but it was blocked by a truck, wood chipper, bulldozer, and I got yelled at).

And of course the link from the project page still claims that everything is open.

Viet-Trung Luu

Sep 15, 2016, 12:24:41 PM9/15/16
to Ryan Minobe, SF2G, Lina Mårtensson, R Samuel Klatchko, Sam Uong, Darrin Ward, Dan Connelly
I also notice that this page  -- http://www.valleywater.org/sfcupdates/ -- says "Week of September 12: The San Francisquito Creek levee trail on the Palo Alto side of the creek will be closed between E. Bayshore Road and Geng Road.", followed by a link to a map that claims everything is open.