ot: wahoo trouble continues

Darrin Ward

Oct 23, 2017, 11:56:09 AM10/23/17
to SF2G
wahoo support has been sort of lackluster.  with the first issue it took them more than a month to respond to my issue after providing them the requested files.  they said update the firmware.

now the wahoo device will not turn on.

wahoo support does not believe me.

i am glad that everyone's else wahoo has worked great so of course your mileage will of course vary.

i ordered a garmin 520 because the 510 worked for many years without issue.

Ryan Anderson

Oct 23, 2017, 12:01:23 PM10/23/17
to Darrin, SF2G
I like my 520, fwiw.

Though it won't find satellites from inside the house, so I always have an annoying wait (or gap) at the start.

--
Ryan

Peter Colijn

Oct 23, 2017, 12:41:20 PM10/23/17
to ry...@michonline.com, Darrin, SF2G
In general my 520 has been good modulo the normal Garmin rough edges / doing weird stuff sometimes.

I would recommend that you don't start recording before it has satellites though. I have about a 50/50 success rate at it recording _anything_ when you start before the GPS lock. Even if it looks like it's working because it's showing speed/etc, you may end up with an empty file.

Other than that pretty much OK. Though of course I continue to be mystified at why these things have such tiny amount of built-in storage, sigh.

---

Ken Macinnis

Oct 23, 2017, 12:45:39 PM10/23/17
to SF2G
Reminder for the new 520 folks, put some real maps on it:

You'll run into those space problems, and this can prevent upgrades until you move the file aside, so keep maps as small as you can and plan to just use another set if you ride in another region.

Ken

David Goldsmith

Oct 23, 2017, 12:49:34 PM10/23/17
to ken.ma...@gmail.com, SF2G
+1 on the Edge 520

+1 for open source maps, too. You can curate them down to Northern California only, and you won't run out of space as long as you're reasonably anal about deleting rides from time to time.

Ben Blizard

Oct 23, 2017, 7:05:41 PM10/23/17
to d...@dgolds.com, Ken MacInnis, SF2G
I had a 520. Hated it.  Bought an 820.  Kinda love it -- just works, and works more like the 510/500.

I like the touchscreens, though.
Ben Blizard
Voice: (650) 450-0037

Ben Blizard

Oct 23, 2017, 7:09:02 PM10/23/17
to d...@dgolds.com, Ken MacInnis, SF2G
IIRC, the 820 has more memory.  Can't find the actual specs anywhere right now, though.