5d1w.HMB day 5 - HALF MOON BARWAY!!! - 1630 cscr - style fun

Peter Colijn

May 18, 2015, 5:50:19 PM5/18/15
to SF2G, Jimbo Morrison
cscr = Charleston Shopping Center rollout (the ice cream place, in particular)
[this is convenient for riding over to foot hill, etc.]

Yes folks, that's right, we're finishing off 5d1w.HMB with the first-ever half-moon-barway.

Some details, courtesy of Zoe, who has meticulously researched the options:

Stop 1 - Woodside
  Alternative: Pioneer Saloon (more divey) http://www.yelp.com/biz/pioneer-saloon-woodside
Stop 2 - Half Moon Bay (technically, it's El Granada, but close enough)
Stop 3 - Pacifica
Stop 4 - San Francisco
  St Mary’s

Dinner will be at Hop Dogma [1].

ROUTE: we will be descending 35 to 92 and descending 92. This is mostly to avoid crappy headwind miles on CA-1.

STOPS: obviously, descending 92 requires care, so the stop at woodside should involve a very MODERATE amount of imbibing. And same goes for all the stops, actually, since riding north on CA-1 and some of the stuff through Pacifica isn't exactly a picnic either. If you're not taking this seriously you may find us stuffing you into an Uber (lyft, whatever) to take you home :) The non-dinner stops need to be pretty quick but this doesn't mean you should chug a whole beer. Share a beer if you don't want / can't drink a whole one!

[1] There is (are) supposed to be food truck(s) at Hop Dogma, but if we can't confirm this Half Moon Bay Brewing will be the fallback

Alexandre Passos

May 18, 2015, 5:51:51 PM5/18/15
to Peter Colijn, SF2G, Jimbo Morrison
+1!

---

 - Alexandre

Georgia Andrews

May 18, 2015, 6:14:13 PM5/18/15
to Alexandre Passos, Peter Colijn, SF2G, Jimbo Morrison
+probably

there's not really a good way to jump on this halfway, is there?
Women Who Code San Francisco City Director

Zoe Hoster

May 18, 2015, 6:14:19 PM5/18/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, jim.mo...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca
+1

Thank you Colijn for coming up with this brilliant idea on Partycar last week.

Here is the proposed route: http://app.strava.com/routes/2363723

I'll be coming down to the rollout on southbound Caltrain 156, arriving San Antonio station at 4:13pm

Nathan Dushman

May 18, 2015, 6:46:43 PM5/18/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 3:14:13 PM UTC-7, Georgia wrote:
there's not really a good way to jump on this halfway, is there?

Looks like you could join at the intersection of 35 and 92.

Cordelia Link

May 18, 2015, 6:49:19 PM5/18/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, jim.mo...@gmail.com
+1

Zoe Hoster

May 18, 2015, 6:49:52 PM5/18/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, caff...@colijn.ca, alexan...@gmail.com, jim.mo...@gmail.com
>> there's not really a good way to jump on this halfway, is there?

Yeah, that's a difficult side-effect of having most stops after the climb+descent. Could meet at Bucks in Woodside (from PA caltrain, say) at ~5:15.

Scott Johnston

May 18, 2015, 7:09:15 PM5/18/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, jim.mo...@gmail.com, alexan...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca
+.5
Coming from Stanford, so meeting at Bucks sounds good to me too. Could even meet up with Zoe and any other folks coming from PA caltrain to head over there.

-Scott

Chris Merrill

May 18, 2015, 7:25:33 PM5/18/15
to wamp...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, jim.mo...@gmail.com, alexan...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca
+0.5
Maybe I'll intercept at Foothill / [something], because that would be on my way anyways.

~Chris

Peter Gulezian

May 18, 2015, 8:27:07 PM5/18/15
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G, Jimbo Morrison
+1!

I’ll be coming from Apple straight to the first stop. Expect departure from Cupertino at 1630 as well.

  Alternative: Pioneer Saloon (more divey) http://www.yelp.com/biz/pioneer-saloon-woodside
Woodside zoning allows for divey saloons?

So excited. SF2G’s Department of Ridiculous Ideas Department is the best in the business.

-p

Lina Mårtensson

May 18, 2015, 8:36:31 PM5/18/15
to Peter Gulezian, caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G, Jimbo Morrison
Oh yes.

There was a Woodside long before all these fancypants people.

And there's quite a bit of interesting history in the area, too. A lot of things have changed.

Dave Borowitz

May 18, 2015, 8:38:14 PM5/18/15
to lina.ma...@gmail.com, Peter Gulezian, caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G, Jimbo Morrison
Damn, sad I'm out of town for this. (Maybe this means we'll have a regular Barway in the next week or two?)

Ramesh Brand

May 18, 2015, 8:41:55 PM5/18/15
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Peter Gulezian <pe...@metoca.net> wrote:
I’ll be coming from Apple straight to the first stop. Expect departure from Cupertino at 1630 as well.

+1 for sober Half Moon Barway! :/

I will roll with Peter G from Apple as well.

Peter Chang

May 18, 2015, 9:22:53 PM5/18/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
i wouldn't recommend waiting at the saddle (i guess if it's clear and calm, maybe, but it is where teh temperature drops dramatically) but actually trying to intercept at bar#2.

\p

Peter Chang

May 18, 2015, 9:24:59 PM5/18/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 5:27:07 PM UTC-7, Peter Gulezian wrote:
  Alternative: Pioneer Saloon (more divey) http://www.yelp.com/biz/pioneer-saloon-woodside
Woodside zoning allows for divey saloons?

they have live music and everything, but probably not when we're rolling through. it could be an 'out-of-the-way' alternative for regular barway.

\p

Ted Ketai

May 18, 2015, 9:47:21 PM5/18/15
to Peter Chang, sf...@googlegroups.com
+0.8 from PA.

Ted Ketai

May 18, 2015, 9:48:45 PM5/18/15
to Peter Chang, sf...@googlegroups.com
Also, would anybody potentially be interested in descending Purrisima? What could possibly go wrong?

Alexandre Passos

May 18, 2015, 9:50:57 PM5/18/15
to Ted Ketai, Peter Chang, sf...@googlegroups.com
Eh, if you're up for it I'll bring the CX bike and descend purissima with you. I'd rather do that than descend 92 in my slow-descender state while the back-to-hmb commuters honk aggressively behind me.
--
 - Alexandre

Darrin Ward

May 18, 2015, 10:05:36 PM5/18/15
to Peter Colijn, SF2G, Jimbo Morrison
yeah please be really careful on the 92 descent.  especially after the steep descent is done and there is are no to little shoulders getting to the 1.  drivers are pretty darn unfriendly during commute hours.

half moon brewing is really not a bad place to end up.  the food and beer are both pretty descent and they have a patio where we have stacked bikes in the past with a wood fire.  it was not a bad place to end up for lunch.  dont know about dinner.

cause of non bike related injury, i definitely wont make it.  so have a blast.

Peter Gulezian

May 19, 2015, 1:05:10 AM5/19/15
to alexan...@gmail.com, Ted Ketai, Peter Chang, sf...@googlegroups.com
I’d be up for this - I’ll likely be on the CX bike as well (with slicks).

-p

Alexandre Passos

May 20, 2015, 2:21:04 PM5/20/15
to Peter Gulezian, Ted Ketai, Peter Chang, sf...@googlegroups.com
FYI there was quite a bit of mud at the steep bits on top of purissima today. This means I'm not descending it; I feel like my first time descending on mud should be less steep and more sober.
--
 - Alexandre

Ted Ketai

May 20, 2015, 2:43:46 PM5/20/15
to Alexandre Passos, Peter Gulezian, Peter Chang, sf...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I'll evaluate conditions at Skeggs tonight. If it's super muddy we'll probably skip it I imagine. I hear things are pretty sloppy right now.

Peter Chang

May 20, 2015, 2:57:00 PM5/20/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
> Yeah I'll evaluate conditions at Skeggs tonight. If it's super muddy we'll
> probably skip it I imagine. I hear things are pretty sloppy right now.

alex (as a non-mtb-er) and your opinins about sloppy are likely to
differ. i thought that it was soft but on the nicely tacky side
(except for the last turn into the bluechip section where i dabbed (i
should really just replace the derailler hanger so i can use the cogs
i've got).

regardless, peter indicated that alternate routing would be a day-of
decision. ie, trading the highway one headwinds against
92/tunitas/etc. the winds on the bay-side have been on the un-fun
side, so they're going to eat into the style call.

\p

Cordelia Link

May 20, 2015, 3:12:29 PM5/20/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't call it sloppy, those wet sections at the top washed all the clay off my tires!

Nathan Davis

May 20, 2015, 5:30:26 PM5/20/15
to Cordelia Link, SF2G
Damn, going to have to miss this one due to timing. Sounds like fun however.

-- Nathan

Patrick Kitto

May 20, 2015, 9:37:26 PM5/20/15
to tke...@gmail.com, Peter Chang, sf...@googlegroups.com
I endorse this idea.

Ted Ketai

May 21, 2015, 10:42:58 AM5/21/15
to Cordelia Link, SF2G

Yeah so the top of skeggs was fairly sloppy, but the middle and bottom were all tacky hero dirt. Game time decision I guess.

Cordelia Link

May 21, 2015, 1:59:46 PM5/21/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, cordel...@gmail.com
FWIW, Purisima was the worst I've ever seen it today. Lots of crap stuck between my fork and wheel and slippery loss of traction moments.

Ted Ketai

May 21, 2015, 8:06:17 PM5/21/15
to Cordelia Link, sf...@googlegroups.com
Have we established a meet-up spot and time for PA folks?

Zoe Hoster

May 21, 2015, 8:53:16 PM5/21/15
to Ted Ketai, Cordelia Link, sf...@googlegroups.com
Since there's a PA contingent, I'll go w you guys to avoid gratuitous miles. How about rolling from PA Caltrain, southbound platform, at 4:45? That should put us in line with a 4:30 departure from San Antonio

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Ted Ketai

May 21, 2015, 8:10:07 PM5/21/15
to Cordelia Link, sf...@googlegroups.com
Oh wait, Buck's right? So like 5:15 there?

Ted Ketai

May 22, 2015, 1:34:57 AM5/22/15
to Zoe Hoster, Cordelia Link, sf...@googlegroups.com
Works for me.

Ben Kraft

May 22, 2015, 10:21:09 AM5/22/15
to Ted Ketai, SF2G, Cordelia Link, Zoe Hoster

+1 from Charleston.

Might descend Purisima or tunitas and try to catch up at the dinner stop. 92 scares me.

Zoe Hoster

May 22, 2015, 11:33:44 AM5/22/15
to Ben Kraft, Ted Ketai, SF2G, Cordelia Link
Yikes if 92 is unpleasant enough that people would really prefer purissima or tunitas maybe we should consider a route change to tunitas. I've never descended 92 so don't have a view. Perhaps we can discuss at Bucks.

Ben Kraft

May 22, 2015, 11:45:25 AM5/22/15
to Zoe Hoster, Ted Ketai, SF2G, Cordelia Link
I also haven't descended 92 that way, so don't take my opinion too seriously. Plus I really like Tunitas.

Peter Colijn

May 22, 2015, 12:28:55 PM5/22/15
to Ben Kraft, Zoe Hoster, Ted Ketai, SF2G, Cordelia Link
We can take Tunitas if folks are really uncomfortable with 92. I just hate headwinds, and I've never descended 35 from Kings to 92, so I thought that would be fun.

Maciek Wojciechowski

May 22, 2015, 1:08:07 PM5/22/15
to caff...@colijn.ca, Ben Kraft, Zoe Hoster, Ted Ketai, SF2G, Cordelia Link
Tunitas tends to be cold. And going down Tunitas feels like forever.

Cordelia Link

May 22, 2015, 1:28:15 PM5/22/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, tke...@gmail.com, cordel...@gmail.com, ben....@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, zoe.h...@gmail.com
I'm up for 92. Tunitas was cold the last time I did it, I don't like headwinds, and I'm definitely not descending Purisima.

Georgia Andrews

May 22, 2015, 1:46:06 PM5/22/15
to Maciek Wojciechowski, Peter Colijn, Ben Kraft, Zoe Hoster, Ted Ketai, SF2G, Cordelia Link
Playing with strava's routes, descending tunitas adds like 4-5 miles (if anyone cares). Also, I'd rather not have to deal with the tight turns & grade on Tunitas. Or headwinds.
Women Who Code San Francisco City Director

Alan Antonuk

May 22, 2015, 1:49:11 PM5/22/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, maciekwoj...@gmail.com, zoe.h...@gmail.com, cordel...@gmail.com, ben....@gmail.com, tke...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca
This is going to be a pretty large group: why not setup a rolling paceline on CA-1, it'll make the headwinds a bit more manageable.

Alexandre Passos

May 22, 2015, 1:52:55 PM5/22/15
to Georgia Andrews, Maciek Wojciechowski, Peter Colijn, Ben Kraft, Zoe Hoster, Ted Ketai, SF2G, Cordelia Link
Re headwinds the weather forecast is winds from the west, and not too absurd: http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/USCA0459:1:US
 - Alexandre

Peter Chang

May 22, 2015, 2:10:11 PM5/22/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 9:28:55 AM UTC-7, Peter Colijn wrote:
I've never descended 35 from Kings to 92, so I thought that would be fun.

there's a little rolly part to the general store (on the left which also has a trail up from ~downtown half moon bay) but then there's a screaming open descent to 92.

the 92 descent isn't bad (either direction), but west-bound bottlenecks to one narrow lane just past the spring (which also sucks during the day because people stop in their cars to fill at the spring). the bottleneck is sort of twisty w/o much of a shoulder (or one that comes/goes) for ~1.5mi (to the sprint at the trailer park).

\p

Chris Merrill

May 22, 2015, 2:18:51 PM5/22/15
to d...@google.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
-0.5
<-- Laamee

Have an awesome time, guys!

Ramesh Brand

May 22, 2015, 2:27:21 PM5/22/15
to notspel...@gmail.com, Peter Chang, SF2G

Important question: Spandex or Civilian?

I mean you clearly won't be able to impress anyone at the bar tonight by showing up in a spandex but this whole pacelining in Hwy 1 and climbing Kings(?) makes me wonder to just wear spandex.

What are you guys planning to wear? #decisions

Alexandre Passos

May 22, 2015, 2:29:09 PM5/22/15
to Ramesh Brand, Chris Merrill, Peter Chang, SF2G
Spandex. I don't want to do that many miles with real-person-clothes between my butt and my saddle.
 - Alexandre

Georgia Andrews

May 22, 2015, 2:32:34 PM5/22/15
to Ramesh Brand, Chris Merrill, Peter Chang, SF2G
Okay, to answer Ramesh's question before we get back to the other stuff: spandex on the bottom, civilian on top. But I'm wearing a dress so I still look all-civilian. More or less.

So, I asked one of our PMs about the weekend 92 traffic (she lives in HMB), and she said it's normally pretty light on Fridays. However, she also pointed out that it's a holiday weekend so there's going to be a noticeable increase in tourist/boat/RV traffic.

I still don't want to do a steep twisty descent though. Oh, and if there's an accident on WB 92, the locals will use Tunitas as a detour.

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Ramesh Brand <rames...@gmail.com> wrote:

Cordelia Link

May 22, 2015, 2:39:44 PM5/22/15
to Georgia Andrews, Ramesh Brand, Chris Merrill, Peter Chang, SF2G
I will be in spandex because I definitely want to wear the bike shorts. (The other option is jeans since I'm not as good at planning as Georgia). I guess I could wear a normal t-shirt but my wool jersey is more comfortable and probably warmer.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Peter Chang

May 22, 2015, 2:40:47 PM5/22/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 11:32:34 AM UTC-7, Georgia wrote:

I still don't want to do a steep twisty descent though.

it's not steep and the twisty part is only after it necks down to one lane. i will admit that it can get a little hairy around there.

\p

Georgia Andrews

May 22, 2015, 2:41:50 PM5/22/15
to Peter Chang, sf...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I was referring to Tunitas there. I'm currently voting for 92.

---

Patrick Kitto

May 22, 2015, 2:43:19 PM5/22/15
to Georgia Andrews, Ramesh Brand, Chris Merrill, Peter Chang, SF2G
that answers that: all dress ride.

Scott Johnston

May 22, 2015, 2:59:48 PM5/22/15
to Patrick Kitto, Georgia Andrews, Ramesh Brand, Chris Merrill, Peter Chang, SF2G
I'll join the Palo Alto folks on Sand Hill at Stock Farm or Santa Cruz, should be 4:53 or so given 4:45 rollout from caltrain.

I also like 35->92, since it means we get almost all the way (within 3mi) of HMB on pretty much just gravitational potential, instead of fighting headwinds and rollers up the 1 for considerably longer. The 35 descent is also sweet, though alas I wish I had taller gears than my cross oriented 46/12 for it...

-Scott

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Ted Ketai

May 22, 2015, 4:05:33 PM5/22/15
to Ramesh, SF2G, Peter Chang, notspel...@gmail.com

Bike shorts and knee warmers underneath  chrome shorts. Wool t shirt on top.

Peter Colijn

May 22, 2015, 4:09:13 PM5/22/15
to Ted Ketai, Ramesh, SF2G, Peter Chang, Chris Merrill
Chammy + cedar wool.

Zoe Hoster

May 22, 2015, 6:43:33 PM5/22/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Hop dogma tells me the food truck should arrive there by 6pm. It'll probably be Art's Indian (if I heard correctly)

Peter Colijn

May 22, 2015, 6:44:26 PM5/22/15
to Zoe Hoster, SF2G
Awesome, thanks for the intel!

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Zoe Hoster <zoe.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hop dogma tells me the food truck should arrive there by 6pm. It'll probably be Art's Indian (if I heard correctly)

Ramesh G

May 22, 2015, 8:03:20 PM5/22/15
to caff...@colijn.ca, Zoe Hoster, SF2G
Oh man! I got caught up with some last minute stuff at work and I'm just rolling solo from Palo Alto now.

Hopefully, I will be in Buck's within 30 minutes and I don't wanna miss the group... #fingerscrossed

Ramesh
Sent from my iPhone

Peter Gulezian

May 22, 2015, 8:56:28 PM5/22/15
to caff...@colijn.ca, Zoe Hoster, SF2G
Running late, climbing sand hill now.

-p

Patrick Kitto

May 22, 2015, 10:10:15 PM5/22/15
to pe...@metoca.net, caff...@colijn.ca, Zoe Hoster, SF2G
Shitshow update?!?

Patrick Kitto

May 22, 2015, 10:36:00 PM5/22/15
to pe...@metoca.net, caff...@colijn.ca, Zoe Hoster, SF2G
... Cus this sounds like a shitshow. And I love me some soap Oprah drama.

Ramesh G

May 22, 2015, 10:57:54 PM5/22/15
to patric...@gmail.com, pe...@metoca.net, caff...@colijn.ca, Zoe Hoster, SF2G
We all successfully made through the 92 hurdle. Here now...

image1.JPG

Ramesh
Sent from my iPhone

Christine Ryan

May 23, 2015, 11:38:51 AM5/23/15
to rames...@gmail.com, patric...@gmail.com, pe...@metoca.net, caff...@colijn.ca, Zoe Hoster, SF2G
Looks like you all survived...happy to hear it!

Peter Gulezian

May 23, 2015, 11:50:18 AM5/23/15
to Christine Ryan, rames...@gmail.com, patric...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, Zoe Hoster, SF2G
This was a fantastic adventure! It was not so much like a Barway* **. But definitely worth doing. Thanks to the brain trust for coming up with one of our best ideas yet! And to Zoe for research and routing, and to Ammon for guiding us along bonus dirt sections that were really quite lovely. When he finally left us in Pacifica, we immediately felt lost :)

Worth doing again, great times overall, A++++++

-p

* especially when I was solo chasing up Kings. But that's work's fault
** which means we should still have a legit spring Barway, obviously

Alexandre Passos

May 23, 2015, 12:04:27 PM5/23/15
to Peter Gulezian, Christine Ryan, rames...@gmail.com, patric...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, Zoe Hoster, SF2G
This was super fun indeed. Thanks y'all for putting this together!

It was super mellow and friendly, and there was no scary traffic at all. Descending 92 was pretty nice, and so were the climb and descend to and from the tunnel. The bonus dirt was really nice (I need better lights, though, as my current ones kept pointing the wrong way with the road vibrations).
 - Alexandre

djconnel

May 23, 2015, 12:23:32 PM5/23/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, pe...@metoca.net, rames...@gmail.com, zoe.h...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, patric...@gmail.com, crya...@gmail.com
How was the wind?   Yawyab (or rather, Amloc Yaw, which seems a better name than Yaw Amloc) had a substantial headwind up the coast, which I rode from a work thing in San Jose.  A long slow grid.  I was thinking of you descending 92 then heading up the coast.

As an aside I used to play AD&D way way back in grade school and I've been doing a project @ UCB where the BART is near a store which hosts games.  I don't nearly have the time to revert to such indulgences but it did occur to me Yaw Amloc (or for that matter, Yawyab) seems like a character name.  Enilyks I'm not so sure.

Alexandre Passos

May 23, 2015, 12:25:01 PM5/23/15
to Dan Connelly, SF2G, Peter Gulezian, Ramesh Brand, Zoe Hoster, Peter Colijn, Patrick Kitto, Christine Ryan
There was a lot of crosswind descending 35. A mild tailwind right after we hit 1, then pretty much no wind at all after the second bar.

---

 - Alexandre

Peter Colijn

May 23, 2015, 8:45:39 PM5/23/15
to Alexandre Passos, SF2G, Christine Ryan, Patrick Kitto, Dan Connelly, Peter Gulezian, Zoe Hoster, Ramesh Brand

Indeed, this was super fun. Thanks everyone for coming and thanks Ammon for the navigational expertise! The beer was also way better than your average barway. Didn't drink a corona all night :)

We got to St Mary's at midnight, which is also quite a bit earlier than the last few "normal" barways, probably because we left a bit earlier and had only 3 stops on the way.

Elizeu Santos-Neto

May 23, 2015, 10:53:00 PM5/23/15
to Peter Colijn, Alexandre Passos, SF2G, Christine Ryan, Patrick Kitto, Dan Connelly, Peter Gulezian, Zoe Hoster, Ramesh Brand
but... the real question is: did the dressing code of choice impress
(or scare for that matter) anyone? :)

Alexandre Passos

May 23, 2015, 10:54:54 PM5/23/15
to Elizeu Santos-Neto, Peter Colijn, SF2G, Christine Ryan, Patrick Kitto, Dan Connelly, Peter Gulezian, Zoe Hoster, Ramesh Brand
The bar people at buck's found it mildly funny; hop dogma is always full of cyclists anyway (not my first time showing up there in kit; we were not the only cyclists there); the best bartender at bender's showed up at winters and recognized some of us, and I don't think anyone cared at st mary's.
--
 - Alexandre

Cordelia Link

May 23, 2015, 11:01:46 PM5/23/15
to Alexandre Passos, Peter Colijn, Elizeu Santos-Neto, Dan Connelly, Ramesh Brand, SF2G, Christine Ryan, Patrick Kitto, Peter Gulezian, Zoe Hoster

Peter got compliments on his outfit at winters!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.