OT: Sat 6/15 Marin Dirt

Justin!

Jun 12, 2019, 3:36:22 PM6/12/19
to SF2G
I'm flexible on time and route but wanted to see if we could get a little group together. Maybe Old RR Grade and beyond? I don't know many of the routes and my technical skills are pretty mediocre (or worse), so think of this like a social S3 or so in SF2G terms.

John French

Jun 12, 2019, 3:59:07 PM6/12/19
to roja...@gmail.com, SF2G
+something
Old RR grade sounds like fun.

I’ve also been wanting to do Planet of the Apes (probably via Sneath/Baquiano and looping back on Devil’s Slide?) for a while, if you’re open to non-Marin dirt? Saves crossing the bridge on a probably-very-touristy weekend…

--
http://sf2g.com
---

Justin!

Justin!

Jun 12, 2019, 5:54:52 PM6/12/19
to SF2G
Looks like Planet of the Apes is just a few miles of dirt and mostly roads to/from, and I'm thinking of trying to get more dirt in, so Marin seems like the way to go.

I'm planning to use some of the great ideas from this thread and will circle back with a proposed route:  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/sf2g/XgvuPGi1ruo/G9NRZekYDQAJ;context-place=forum/sf2g

Justin!

Jun 12, 2019, 6:35:45 PM6/12/19
to SF2G
Is there a map or website you guys use for planning dirt/gravel rides (other than Strava route builder, which is a little harder for dirt)?

Alexandre Passos

Rob

Jun 12, 2019, 7:39:35 PM6/12/19
to SF2G

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 3:35:45 PM UTC-7, Justin! wrote:
Is there a map or website you guys use for planning dirt/gravel rides (other than Strava route builder, which is a little harder for dirt)?

d chang

Jun 12, 2019, 8:36:08 PM6/12/19
to roja...@gmail.com, SF2G
Le mer. 12 juin 2019 à 14:54, Justin! <roja...@gmail.com> a écrit :
Looks like Planet of the Apes is just a few miles of dirt and mostly roads to/from, and I'm thinking of trying to get more dirt in, so Marin seems like the way to go.

if you go over sneath it turns to dirt for a bit until the top of fasler. the descent off of apes is pretty much all dirt, and you can come back over mori (dirt but ~steep) back to sneath. that's probably as much dirt as old rr by itself.

if you go up old rr past west point inn you can descend ridgecrest and turn right onto rock spring (right around the amphitheatre). this will drop you down to lagunitas (back along eldridge to southern marin line) or rocky ridge (basically to the golf course before alpine dam) where you can hump it over shaver to eldridge/southern marin.

one thing i've been doing is headlands to the stables to old rr to pantoll and either down/up coastal / deer park and over diaz to the stables.

\p

Justin!

Jun 13, 2019, 1:56:50 AM6/13/19
to SF2G
OK here's an idea for a route - would appreciate thoughts and +1s!

First part of hawk hill to the circle, turn onto Coastal
Bobcat
Marincello
Alt 1 - Tennessee Valley
Alt 2 - Miwok to Panoramic (how steep? rideable?)
after either Alt 1 or Alt 2, head to Mill Valley and ORG
which is basically
ORG to West Point
Down Old Stage / Stagecoach
Panoramic to Stinson
Down 1 to Muir Beach
Climb Coastal (good climb or walking/suffering?)
Down Panoramic
Your favorite way home

Rob

Jun 13, 2019, 3:22:52 AM6/13/19
to SF2G
(Not a +1)

https://www.nps.gov/goga/learn/news/pge-repairs-in-the-marin-headlands.htm

Says there is a small part of bobcat which is closed for 30-45 days. Miwok / old spring to tenn valley is open though.

On the Marin bike map anything with 3 chevrons and you’ll likely be walking. There are some steep sections on miwok north of tenn valley rd which I’ve never cleared (3 chevrons). Coastal trail to the west is easier.

Returning south, middle green gulch from 1 to coyote ridge is nicer than going up coastal I think.

Justin!

Jun 14, 2019, 11:47:39 AM6/14/19
to SF2G
I had a slightly different idea - I'm coming from the East Bay, so if I can start and end in Mill Valley, would it be nicer/more fun to just make a big loop up ORG to Rock Springs/Rocky Ridge. Maybe some of the fire roads/trails from Alpine Lake or Bon Tempe Lake?

I guess I'm asking which areas/routes are less super steep/technical (think more fire roads - ORG and Bolinas Ridge are the level of difficulty I'm thinking about).

Will I be happier in the Headlands area than trying any of the stuff around Mt. Tam, which I haven't done for years but I recall as rough, rocky, and very steep? I am looking to ride more and walk less.

I'm also happy to start at the N end of the GG Bridge and go up through the Headlands from there if anyone is interested in joining tomorrow morning for some or all.

Justin!

Jun 14, 2019, 12:17:27 PM6/14/19
to SF2G
Proposed Route - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30271913

50 miles up through the Headlands, down to Mill Valley, Up ORG, across Rock Springs to Fairfax and then back on pavement.

Does this look like a fun route that isn't too technical? Thanks for all the tips!

Kurt Martin

Jun 14, 2019, 12:45:54 PM6/14/19
to A Roja, SF2G
FYI on trail closures in the Headlands
PG&E is doing work in the powerlines up by marincello / Bobcat and have the trails closed for 30 days as of Friday.

I don’t know if that is closed the whole time or any details. I’ll let you all read what I read:

--
http://sf2g.com
---

Rob

Jun 14, 2019, 2:28:29 PM6/14/19
to SF2G
route as proposed looks good.  the stuff in the headlands is in good condition and not rocky like orrg, except for old springs which has some wide single tracky stuff and a section that is a little rocky, but still not like orrg. orrg is like 6%, miwok is a mile at 10% and pretty steady grade after the first little pitch, climbing coastal north of tenn valley rd is has maybe 3 short steep sections but the fire road is in good shape. rock springs has a short steep pitch before it descends. the descent is steeper than orrg but less rocky i think, road is in pretty good shape but some occasional ruts.

the only tweak i'd suggest is perhaps skipping the bottom of orrg and connect to the middle via gravity car.

and then rather than go to fairfax and take the road, stay south of lake lagunitas and take fire roads back to mill valley. this adds a little more climbing on eldridge grade but it's steady at 6% or so.
(route from rock springs to mill valley)

Justin!

Jun 14, 2019, 6:10:52 PM6/14/19
to SF2G
UPDATE: Ride is on. Official ride call is for tomorrow to meet at 8 a.m. at the north side of the GGB (little parking lot just at the end of the bike path by the port a potty).

Plan is to do roughly the course above but with some tweaks to take into account Rob's advice and a little more map checking. There are plenty of bail-out points (and I'm not even sure I'll be up for the whole thing).

Mellow pace - I am lousy at technical stuff and will definitely have to walk here and there when it gets overly steep/rocky. I'm also safe (read: slow) descending.

Any takers?

Molly

Jun 14, 2019, 6:13:47 PM6/14/19
to SF2G
+1
Thanks for calling it Justin!

John French

Jun 14, 2019, 9:27:23 PM6/14/19
to SF2G
+0.5, crossing the bridge by 8 is a bit early for me but will see how I feel in the morning
--
http://sf2g.com
---

Matt Egan

Jun 14, 2019, 10:34:14 PM6/14/19
to SF2G
+1! Anyone wanna meet for coffee in the mission beforehand?

Molly

Jun 15, 2019, 12:00:34 AM6/15/19
to SF2G
I think I’ll need all the sleep I can get so will meet at the bridge (Marin side).

John French

Jun 15, 2019, 12:11:41 AM6/15/19
to matt.ma...@gmail.com, SF2G
If I wake up in time I’ll roll from Ritual at 7, probably arrive 6:30-6:45

> On Jun 14, 2019, at 19:34, Matt Egan <matt.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> +1! Anyone wanna meet for coffee in the mission beforehand?
>
> --
> http://sf2g.com
> ---

Justin!

Jun 15, 2019, 12:37:15 AM6/15/19
to SF2G
Awesome - here's the updated route. Thanks Rob and everyone else for the route tips.

Fernando Dominguez Pinuaga

Jun 15, 2019, 12:49:07 AM6/15/19
to SF2G
+0.9, if I to to bed early!

Fernando Dominguez Pinuaga

Jun 15, 2019, 12:52:18 AM6/15/19
to SF2G
Matt,what time are you leaving from mission?

Matt Egan

Jun 15, 2019, 1:14:56 AM6/15/19
to SF2G
I'll try and roll with John, maybe a bit later, 7:15 at the latest.

Fernando Dominguez Pinuaga

Jun 15, 2019, 1:15:40 AM6/15/19
to SF2G
Where?

Matt Egan

Jun 15, 2019, 1:34:40 AM6/15/19
to SF2G
Oh sorry! I'll meet you at Ritual!

Molly

Jun 15, 2019, 9:23:55 AM6/15/19
to SF2G
Heads up that ritual opens at 7 on saturdays.

John French

Jun 15, 2019, 9:32:53 AM6/15/19
to matt.ma...@gmail.com, SF2G
Ritual doesn’t open until 7
Molly and I are rolling to Haight Ritual for coffee

> On Jun 14, 2019, at 22:34, Matt Egan <matt.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Oh sorry! I'll meet you at Ritual!
>
> --
> http://sf2g.com
> ---

Matt Egan

Jun 15, 2019, 9:33:10 AM6/15/19
to SF2G
Ah! Whoops! I think then I'm just gonna leave from my place around 7 at meet everyone at GGB. Maybe we could stop for coffee in Marin?

Justin!

Jun 15, 2019, 10:40:50 AM6/15/19
to SF2G
So sorry, but I have never driven here before and parking is a bit of a cluster. I am running about 10 minutes late. Sorry!

Justin!

Jun 15, 2019, 7:23:12 PM6/15/19
to SF2G
Great ride and lovely company! Thanks, everyone, and really appreciate all the route tips.

Quick flag if anyone uses this route in the future: There’s a mistake on the climb from Panoramic to ORG -go up Gravity Car instead of Hogsback.

Molly

Jun 15, 2019, 8:31:01 PM6/15/19
to SF2G
Thanks all,
Matt is a beast riding in the big ring the entire ride.
Fer on his road bike

Ya’ll inspire me.
Here is a shared album, feel free to add your pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/e8dxihocK65qzXT47

Fernando Dominguez Pinuaga

Jun 15, 2019, 8:33:44 PM6/15/19
to SF2G
Thank you guys, a lot of fun!!! You forced me to give a little more!
Matt has some cool videos probably!

--
http://sf2g.com
---

Fernando Dominguez Pinuaga

Matt Egan

Jun 16, 2019, 10:25:14 PM6/16/19
to SF2G
I had a great time! Thanks again everyone :)

I added all of my (relevant) photos to the Google photos album!