Star Hill Rd and/or Bear Gulch Rd

Jason Thorpe

Jul 9, 2014, 6:15:49 PM7/9/14
to SF2G
Anyone ever ridden these all the way down the west side of the ridge before?

-- thorpej

Lina Mårtensson

Jul 9, 2014, 6:17:23 PM7/9/14
to Jason Thorpe, SF2G
I've ridden part of them. They both go over private land in the middle.

Ray Hosler posted about Star Hill just the other day, I didn't know it was private in the middle, but had meant to check it out:

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Jason Thorpe <tho...@me.com> wrote:
Anyone ever ridden these all the way down the west side of the ridge before?

-- thorpej

---

Lina Mårtensson

Jul 9, 2014, 6:18:24 PM7/9/14
to Jason Thorpe, SF2G
Oh, Neil Young lives in the middle of Bear Gulch and he doesn't want you there.

ta...@murphstahoe.com

Jul 9, 2014, 6:57:21 PM7/9/14
to tho...@me.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
http://www.chainreaction.com/deadendroads.htm

Jul 10, 2014, 12:47:50 PM7/10/14
to Dan Connelly, SF2G
Do one-block dead-ends count as out-and-backs? If so, Bret gave such climbs plenty of love on Monday night... :)

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 9:22 AM, djconnel <djco...@gmail.com> wrote:
We did a LowKey Hillclimb from the end of public Bear Gulch.   It's really nice down there.  The club is occasionally steep with extremely light car traffic.  It's longer than Star Hill, but not by much.  There's a natural aversion by cyclists to out and backs so these climbs are too often neglected.

Daniel Connelly

Jul 10, 2014, 1:34:56 PM7/10/14
to Christine Ryan, Dan Connelly, SF2G
The attraction of a closed route (same start and finish) is proportional to the magnitude of the area subtended.

Point-to-points are an obvious exception: there magnitude of distance covered dominates.

Rob

Jul 11, 2014, 7:59:43 PM7/11/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:22:31 AM UTC-7, djconnel wrote:
We did a LowKey Hillclimb from the end of public Bear Gulch.   It's really nice down there.  The club is occasionally steep with extremely light car traffic.  It's longer than Star Hill, but not by much.  There's a natural aversion by cyclists to out and backs so these climbs are too often neglected.

Of the dead end roads star hill, native suns and west bear gulch; west bear gulch is my favorite.  Somewhat ironically one of the land owners who restricts public access on these roads from skyline to the coast recorded this song and highlighted the verse about ignoring no trespassing signs.

Patrick Kitto

Jul 11, 2014, 9:01:34 PM7/11/14
to rob...@manchero.org, sf...@googlegroups.com
West bear gulch is the road burn into the blue blossom trail, which is one of the gems of Skeggs.

You can also hit blue blossom by riding south on north leaf/south leaf, but that makes for a long day. Bear gulch is for time constrained days.