[OT]- enforcing alpine dam closure?

Ted Lesher_

Oct 7, 2016, 6:55:32 PM10/7/16
to SF2G
I've heard rumors "they" are enforcing the alpine dam road closure with tickets for cyclists. Can anybody confirm that? Also I'm not sure who they are.

R Samuel Klatchko

Oct 8, 2016, 5:45:29 PM10/8/16
to SF2G
While I can't confirm that, on the assumption that BoFax is a county road, it would be the Marin Sheriff that would have jurisdiction. I also found this article that starts with the quote "Marin County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that Bolinas-Fairfax Road has been closed to all traffic" so everything points to them.

Andrew Stadler

Oct 8, 2016, 7:48:47 PM10/8/16
to R Samuel Klatchko, SF2G
I rode the closed section a few weeks ago and there's a recent change - they're actually working on the road repairs now.

Given that, it's understandable that they'd prefer to (actually) keep bikes out now, to avoid someone flying around a corner into equipment, workers, or slippery dirt.

--Andy

p.s. If you're gonna ride it, I recommend the Fairfax-to-Bolinas direction. The descent from the Bolinas side is actually quite a bit worse lately, due to the buildup of crud on the road surface.

On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 2:45 PM, R Samuel Klatchko <r.samuel...@gmail.com> wrote:
While I can't confirm that, on the assumption that BoFax is a county road, it would be the Marin Sheriff that would have jurisdiction. I also found this article that starts with the quote "Marin County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that Bolinas-Fairfax Road has been closed to all traffic" so everything points to them.

---

Eyal Guthmann

Oct 12, 2016, 6:21:48 PM10/12/16
to SF2G
Just tried to go up from Fairfax, the gate was "reinforced" with yellow tape, cones, etc making it very hard to go around. There was also a sign calling bicycles out specifically. It was enough to make me turn around.

I found this article saying construction is ongoing, so looks like that's why they're enforcing the closure now.
http://patch.com/california/petaluma/repairs-begin-marins-fairfax-bolinas-road-closed-winter-mudslide article,

katie evans

Oct 12, 2016, 10:36:33 PM10/12/16
to SF2G
yes, i had a friend who went by the fence and a cop was waiting for him at the next turn. he received a ticket with points on his license. he's planning on fighting it. but ride at your own risk!