bayway/bex route change Re: South Airport Blvd. Closure

Darrin Ward

May 20, 2018, 7:19:54 PM5/20/18
to Mike Wood, SF2G
so this effects bayway/bex.

i hate when cities do not post useful bike information.

there are a couple of possible ways to get around this but hard to know with out scoping it out.

the san francisco bay trail is technically before the bridge which would allow you to go around provided it is also not blocked by the construction.  it is really right at the bridge but its before it.

the bay trail is also kind of in poor disrepair the last time i road it.

otherwise it is san mateo ave to san bruno ave which isnt that great.  :/.   more of an annoyance.

but the information is not terribly useful on the site.  sigh :(

darrin

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 4:02 PM, Mike Wood <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks like it according to the two maps they posted. S. Airport Blvd just north of where I380 crosses over it (you know, where you can wait 5 mins for a green light...). Do we get to ride on 101 for 6 months?!

On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 11:41:05 AM UTC-7, Daniel D. wrote:
Not sure which if any routes are affected.  Putting info out there JIC.

***Reminder for Monday, May 21, from South San Francisco Public Works Department: San Bruno Canal #bridge at Airport Boulevard & North Access Road in #SSF to be closed for #improvements.***

#Construction begins to replace the bridge with completion expected by December, 2018.

For details please visit: http://bit.ly/ssfbridgenotice . Qs? Contact rober...@ssf.net / 650.829.6660. #Safety #SSFCommunity

---

Darrin Ward

May 20, 2018, 7:27:05 PM5/20/18
to Mike Wood, SF2G
oh nevermind the san francisco bike trail wouldnt work in this case.

it is after the closure.  sorry looked at it closer.

really that sucks.

David Goldsmith

May 20, 2018, 7:32:30 PM5/20/18
to dmw...@gmail.com, Mike Wood, SF2G, John Murphy
Has anyone notified the city of SSF about this, mentioned that this is the major north/south bike route, and asked for a variance for bikes?

Given the information in the Notice of Construction (http://www.ssf.net/home/showdocument?id=11369) - which is somewhat unclear - it seems that bike traffic over the bridge during construction *might* be a possibility.

Murph, is this analogous at all to the situation in Healdsburg a couple of years ago? Got any tips for action?

Yuanyu Chen

djconnel

May 20, 2018, 8:23:11 PM5/20/18
to SF2G
From end of Gateway, over bike bridge to San Mateo to El Camino to Millbrae Ave, then L back to Bay trail?

Dan

Matthew Blain

May 20, 2018, 8:38:49 PM5/20/18
to SF2G
It looks like they could easily keep the sidewalk on the NE 'corner' of S Airport and N Access open as for bike/ped/maybe emergency vehicle access. Not only is this part of the sf2g route, the sidewalk is part of the Bay Trail, both on their maps and having a sign.

N Access Rd then would be used to cross the channel . That's a modern 2-way bridge, presumably not needing an emergency closure like the 1949+expansion bridge.

Nathan Dushman

May 20, 2018, 9:01:56 PM5/20/18
to SF2G
If I'm reading the map right, looks like it would be easy to take Harbor Way to a short stretch of trail that includes a bridge over the creek; I've done that section of trail and it's fine (I don't know about Harbor Way, though). I think a left from Gateway to Grand (we often have to stop at that light anyway) and then a right onto Harbor would work.

Nathan

Nathan Dushman

May 20, 2018, 9:04:01 PM5/20/18
to SF2G
Oops! Ignore me. I was looking at the wrong bridge (although the map and Google Maps don't agree on where the San Bruno Canal is).

Nathan

Jason Ally

May 21, 2018, 12:46:48 PM5/21/18
to SF2G
I noticed the same thing, Nathan. I thought Harbor Way to the bridge over the creek would get around the closure but the notice from the city of SSF suggests the closure is further south, closer to the 380 underpass. Google Maps and the city of SSF thinks the San Bruno Canal are in different places.

In any event, a friend rode down today and reported there was a bike lane on Airport Blvd which cyclists could access. Hope other people who rode down today can confirm the same thing.

Emma Shlaes

May 21, 2018, 12:48:01 PM5/21/18
to Yuanyu Chen, d...@dgolds.com, Pat Giorni, dmw...@gmail.com, Mike Wood, SF2G, John Murphy
I'll contact the city.

---

---

Emma Shlaes
Director of Policy and Advocacy
Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition
96 N. Third Street, Suite 375
PO Box 1927
San Jose, CA  95109

Join us on Thursday, May 10th, 2018 for Bike to Work Day!

Daniel Hobe

May 21, 2018, 12:54:00 PM5/21/18
to em...@bikesiliconvalley.org, yuany...@gmail.com, d...@dgolds.com, hog...@yahoo.com, Darrin Ward, mike...@gmail.com, SF2G, John Murphy
We did it this morning.  The detour for bikes is really simple (if a little confusing the first time).

I've attached the way we went.  The police and construction people we talked to said it should be open the whole time they work.

---

---

Emma Shlaes
Director of Policy and Advocacy
Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition
96 N. Third Street, Suite 375
PO Box 1927
San Jose, CA  95109

Join us on Thursday, May 10th, 2018 for Bike to Work Day!

---

Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com>
sfo_bridge_detour.jpg

Emma Shlaes

May 21, 2018, 12:54:26 PM5/21/18
to Yuanyu Chen, d...@dgolds.com, Pat Giorni, dmw...@gmail.com, Mike Wood, SF2G, John Murphy
I've done so and will report back. I would suggest San Mateo Ave. as a detour.
Message has been deleted

Noah Swartz

May 21, 2018, 5:06:04 PM5/21/18
to cco...@gene.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Rode with Daniel this morning, and can confirm that there's only a slight detour that is totally viable
The construction workers said it'd be open the whole time - so maybe it's no big deal!

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 10:57 AM Cara Coburn <cco...@gene.com> wrote:
According to email at GNE today, you can get onto the sidewalk on the northbound side (at least), where there is a gap for pedes and bikes to get across the blockage. I don't know if this will be available for the entire construction job. I am following up with the SSF BAC on this as it iis absurd that there is no information about bike/pede detour.

Eric Altendorf

May 30, 2018, 1:45:32 PM5/30/18
to swar...@google.com, cco...@gene.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Yeah this was totally non obvious.  Good thing I knew to check here or I would have been lost.  Thanks all, especially for the map image.

Michael Schumann

May 30, 2018, 1:59:06 PM5/30/18
to erical...@gmail.com, swar...@google.com, cco...@gene.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Be careful when approaching the detour from the south. When you have a green light at the S Airport/N. Access intersection, the traffic to your right on N. Access also has a green light. Best bet is to take a right on N. Access.

Emma Shlaes

May 30, 2018, 6:27:52 PM5/30/18
to Yuanyu Chen, d...@dgolds.com, Pat Giorni, Darrin Ward, Mike Wood, SF2G, John Murphy
Thanks Daniel. Here's another map that they shared. It will be added to the website too.

Save the Date for the 8th Silicon Valley Bike Summit, August 22!

SSF Airport detour.jpg

Emma Shlaes

May 30, 2018, 6:28:21 PM5/30/18
to Yuanyu Chen, d...@dgolds.com, Pat Giorni, Darrin Ward, Mike Wood, SF2G, John Murphy
The non-designated bike route simply means that there aren't bike lanes, but people biking can use the shoulder/roadway.

Eric Altendorf

May 30, 2018, 6:41:43 PM5/30/18
to em...@bikesiliconvalley.org, Yuanyu Chen, d...@dgolds.com, Pat Giorni, Darrin Ward, Mike Wood, SF2G, John Murphy
While we're on the topic ... does anyone know where that trail goes?  (The one that parallels the 380 onramp and goes under it?)  It looks like it dead ends somewhere so I've never explored it.

---

---

---

Alexandre Passos

May 30, 2018, 6:44:31 PM5/30/18
to Eric Altendorf, em...@bikesiliconvalley.org, Yuanyu Chen, dg, Pat Giorni, Darrin Ward, Mike Wood, SF2G, John Murphy
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it ends near San Bruno ave. I've taken it a few times, when I'm very annoyed at that light. It's in poor conditions, though, with lots of sharp pinch flatty bumps.

---

---

 - Alex