Fwd: TBC is now Bay Area Bike Challenge

Peter Colijn

Mar 29, 2018, 12:45:11 AM3/29/18
to SF2G
FYI...

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Bay Area Bike Challenge <in...@bayareabikes.org>
Date: Wed, Mar 28, 2018, 19:04
Subject: TBC is now Bay Area Bike Challenge
To: <caff...@colijn.ca>

TBC is now Bay Area Bike Challenge
View this email in your browser

Hey Team and Company Bike Challenge participants! We wanted to let you know about some exciting changes that are coming to the Challenge this year.

Some of you may have been riding long enough to remember that the original design of the Challenge was to get as many Bay Area commuters as possible to shed their four wheels and try bike commuting during May -- National Bike Month.

Over the years, the Challenge has evolved into a competition among a very small percentage of Bay Area bike commuters – maybe 300 out of the almost 100,000 that ride on Bike to Work Day. That means that the original purpose of the Challenge got lost along the way, and in fact no one but elite riders really participate any longer.

Well, this year, we are going to go back to that original intention to get as many Bay Area bike commuters as possible to participate in the Challenge. That doesn’t mean that you elites won’t be competing against each other, but it does mean that things will work differently than they have in the past.

We’ve teamed up with the Love to Ride platform, a proven formula used around the world to encourage riders of all abilities to get out and challenge themselves, their friends and colleagues to ride during National Bike Month (including on Bike to Work Day ).

For you competitive types, the platform allows you to create teams and compete against each other, but in a different way than you are used to. However, you will still be able to track your rides, win virtual prizes, join a team, or just have fun  during the month of May. Check out our new challenge platform at lovetoride.net/bayarea.

Here's what you need to know to create a team and compete

  1. Teams can be up to 8 riders.

  2. Teams compete within a “pool” of 10 teams. Pools are filled as teams are created, which also gives each team a good chance of winning 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in their pool.

  3. If you want to compete against your coworkers, register your company and then link your team to it and keep track of the competition on the leaderboard on the company page.

  4. You’ll compete for virtual prizes all the way through the Challenge, and of course bragging rights at the end!

  5. At 11:59 p.m. on May 25, the 1st place team from each pool will be entered into a “Final Sprint” where they'll face all the other pool winners for the grand prize. Miles ridden through 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, May 31 count towards the total (and there will be a grace period through 11:59 p.m. on 6/1 to give riders a chance to manually log any outstanding miles).

The winner of the Final Sprint will be declared the top team in the entire Bay Area! Awards also will be given for top male/female rider, top male/female new rider, most trips male/female rider and top male/female encourager.

How points are calculated
This year we are using a new point system. Team points are the sum of all team members’ individual points, which are earned in a number of ways (see below). This points system has been developed to ensure a fair and exciting competition, and to encourage teams to engage new riders on the path to Then rictory.

What does that look like? Check out the chart below.

How to register
As of April 1, you can sign up in one of two ways:

  1. Download the Ride Report app available for iPhone and Android. Ride Report, an official sponsor of this year’s Bike to Work Day, connects you to the bike challenge website automatically and captures all of your rides so you don’t have to remember to log them.

  • Once you are signed up on Ride Report, look for the Bay Area Bike to Work Day banner and tap the “Love to Ride” button.

  • Then register on the Love to Ride/Bike Challenge website – and you are ready to take part in the challenge!

Note: we are encouraging people to use Ride Report to help cities plan for future biking infrastructure, safety, etc.

  1. Use your preferred app such as Strava, Edmondo, MapMyRide, etc. To register for the challenge, go to www.LovetoRide.net/Bayarea. After you ride, you’ll need to manually log your trips on the website (your trips won’t be captured for use in bike infrastructure planning).

So get ready for a great Bay Area Bike Challenge 2018!
We look forward to having you be part of the 2018 Bay Area Bike Challenge!
For questions, contact hal...@bayareabikes.org.

Bike to Work Day Sponsors

Presented by MTC, 511.org and Kaiser Permanente, the Bay Area Bike Challenge and Bay Area Bike to Work Day encourages local residents to try commuting on two wheels for the first time and celebrates those who bike to work regularly. In addition to MTC (the transportation planning, financing and coordinating agency for the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area), 511 (MTC’s regional traveler information system) and Kaiser Permanente, Bike to Work Day 2018 receives regional support from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD), Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART), Clear Channel Outdoor, and Clif Bar, Ride Report and Exodus Travel, as well as from many sponsors at the local level. Bike to Work Day’s media sponsor is NBC Bay Area-KNTV/Telemundo 48. Prizes for the Bike Commuter of the Year winners were donated by the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG), Chipotle and Mike’s Bikes. Day-of 2-for-1 promotion provided by Chipotle. This event is made possible through the cooperation of thousands of volunteers, county congestion management agencies, local jurisdictions, local bicycling coalitions and MTC.

This email was sent to caff...@colijn.ca
Team Bike Challenge · 96 N. Third Street, Suite 375 · San Jose, CA 95112 · USA

Zak Jarvis

Mar 29, 2018, 2:08:02 AM3/29/18
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G
Dude! I am officially AN ELITE RIDER!

These new rules are unclear. Is there a limit to the number of points? Because otherwise I foretell of epic insanity which will completely lock out all the new riders they want to gather in.

---

Georgia Andrews

Mar 29, 2018, 2:18:47 AM3/29/18
to voidm...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G
Ok so what does "encourage" mean? Sign new people up for the challenge? Get them on a bike for the first time? If it's the latter I smell a pyramid scheme (sorry, MLM scheme).

I feel like they're taking a lot of the challenge out by removing the "to a destination" requirement, although making it easier to compete seems to be a goal...

Peter Colijn

Mar 29, 2018, 3:32:30 AM3/29/18
to Georgia A, Zak Jarvis, SF2G
Also if they're unconditionally giving one point per mile, this seems to encourage mega craziness like people doing 200 mile days the whole month, which would not seem to be aligned with their goal of making it less about 'elite' riders...

Peter Chang

Mar 29, 2018, 2:13:59 PM3/29/18
to SF2G

Le jeudi 29 mars 2018 00:32:30 UTC-7, Peter Colijn a écrit :
Also if they're unconditionally giving one point per mile, this seems to encourage mega craziness

yeah, i stopped reading at that point. tbh, i stopped when they called us elite (well, except for colijn-y the peter) to clean the spit off my monitor.

\p

Christine Windsor

Mar 29, 2018, 6:46:14 PM3/29/18
to Peter Chang, SF2G
Wait so if you got the email you're considered an elite rider? Because I got that email. I just assumed they were talking about other people.... They may need to adjust their definition of elite.

---

Alexandre Passos

Mar 29, 2018, 6:47:51 PM3/29/18
to Christine Windsor, Peter Chang, SF2G
So I'm not elite because I never got the email? Womp womp
--
 - Alexandre

Zak Jarvis

Mar 29, 2018, 6:49:10 PM3/29/18
to chri...@colijn.ca, Peter Chang, SF2G
Me either, Alex!

It makes me feel a little better because I *know* I’m not. I’ve got a whole lot of stats I can use to prove it!

---

Ken MacInnis

Mar 29, 2018, 6:50:55 PM3/29/18
to chri...@colijn.ca, Peter Chang, SF2G
Consider it your Cat 6 upgrade.

Peter Chang

Mar 29, 2018, 8:08:13 PM3/29/18
to SF2G
> Wait so if you got the email you're considered an elite rider?

that's how i read it. welcome to the club.

\p

Dan Padgett

Apr 14, 2018, 12:47:27 AM4/14/18
to d...@google.com, SF2G
Did anyone get the app to work? I installed it a few weeks ago and so far it only detected one, very short ride...
---

Emma Shlaes

Apr 16, 2018, 5:10:12 PM4/16/18
to SF2G
I've noticed using Ride Report that it often miscategorizes trips. You can go in and manually edit the trips. For examples, sometimes my bike rides are categorized as transit or driving and vice versa. The points you get in Ride Report are different than those that will be tracked by Love to Ride, through using Ride Report, starting May 1.

I think the people who got the original email had just logged in for Team Bike Challenge in the past.

Peter Chang

Apr 17, 2018, 6:20:43 PM4/17/18
to SF2G

Le lundi 16 avril 2018 14:10:12 UTC-7, Emma Shlaes a écrit :
I think the people who got the original email had just logged in for Team Bike Challenge in the past.

bah! christine, peter, and i (and everyone other than alex :-) are basking in our 1337-ness!

otoh, was there a clarification that it's really points-free-for-all like the original mail made it seem? i think peter could win all by himself, but i'm curious if there was TBC clarification.

\p