OT: Skyline widening up for city council vote this Tuesday

Adam Cozzette

Oct 8, 2017, 10:58:34 PM10/8/17
to SF2G
The San Bruno City Council is going to vote this Tuesday (meeting at Senior Center at 7 pm) on whether to continue with the project of widening Skyline Boulevard to four lanes between Sneath Lane and 280.

If you have some time on Tuesday evening, please consider showing up for this meeting and asking the council not to move forward with the widening project. This is our best chance to stop the project before it gains any more momentum. We have two of the five council members opposed to the project with the others holding undecided/unknown positions, and I expect it's going to be a pretty tight vote. Our best bet is to pack the meeting with as many people as possible asking the council to vote no.

San Bruno city staff have been saying that they will push to include protected bike lanes in the final project even though they were not included in the preliminary planning study, but this is still a bad deal for cyclists. There's no guarantee that protected bike infrastructure will be included, and even if it is, I don't think it's advantageous for us to take that small reward in exchange for supporting a major unsustainable subsidy for solo driving. Here's an article I wrote with more of why I think this project is a bad idea: http://sanbrunonow.com/san-bruno-widen-skyline-boulevard/

Best,

Adam Cozzette

Oct 11, 2017, 2:12:50 AM10/11/17
to SF2G
Good news, we won! The city council narrowly voted 3-to-2 against continuing with the next phase of the widening project.

ammon

Oct 11, 2017, 11:24:13 AM10/11/17
to SF2G
Thanks for representing us there!

Charles Guthrie

Oct 11, 2017, 11:56:57 AM10/11/17
to SF2G
Thank you for your work and I'm sorry I didn't make it!  I only just saw this post now.

Peter Colijn

Oct 12, 2017, 12:22:56 PM10/12/17
to charles....@gmail.com, SF2G
Great news! Now if we could just get them to add a shoulder to the part just south of Sharp Park...

---