OT: TowIt

Sam McCandlish

May 5, 2015, 12:07:05 PM5/5/15
to SF2G

http://towit.io/

I saw this Android/iOS app for reporting illegal parking/driving  the other day and liked the idea. As far as I know this type of data doesn't exist anywhere else. I could imagine it being useful for identifying repeat offenders.

Any thoughts?  Are there better solutions out there, perhaps with more open data?

-Sam

Eric Swanson

May 6, 2015, 3:33:10 PM5/6/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I think that having cars towed is such a huge expense that I would be wary of imposing it on anything less than a BMW. If someone making minimum wage gets towed, that could be an entire month of wages gone because they blocked my bike lane for a minute or two. Public shaming is one thing, getting someone evicted over bad parking is another thing altogether.

Really, cities just need to raise taxes so they don't have to collect money through municipal violations all the time, but that seems too idealistic.

Johan Beisser

May 6, 2015, 3:40:09 PM5/6/15
to erics...@google.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Going to put this out there: not everyone with an expensive car is a rich douchecanoe.

Some friends, even with expensive individual items make it a point to buy something nice.

That said, assholes come from every economic spectrum.
---