OT: Anyone used Mavic's tubeless system?

Zak Jarvis

Dec 28, 2017, 2:28:20 PM12/28/17
to SF2G
I've been pondering getting new wheels, and I was curious if anyone has any experience actually using Mavic's new tubeless setup with their tires. I know their wheels are generally well-liked, but the tire part of their tubeless setup is a great big unknown. I could online find one review of them online. Looks like replacements are anything but cheap, but then I've sort of gotten used to that with my gravel bike and tubeless tires.

Zak Jarvis

Jan 11, 2018, 8:20:59 PM1/11/18
to SF2G
I went ahead and got a pair of Ksyrium Elite USTs.

First impressions are very good (I’m coming off Fulcrum Racing Fives from about five years ago).

The tubeless setup was easier than using an inner tube and went on with a standard pump.

So far I’ve only ridden them a couple blocks. They did everything I expect wheels to do.

I’ll report back when I’ve put a couple hundred miles on them.

Peter Colijn

Jan 12, 2018, 12:04:39 AM1/12/18
to Zak Jarvis, SF2G
Cool! Definitely curious to find out how you like them. I recall these being billed as "the road tubeless that actually works and isn't a royal PitA".

---

Zak Jarvis

Jan 12, 2018, 12:39:15 AM1/12/18
to Peter Colijn, SF2G
Yep. That was pretty much their billing.

Out of the box they were set up tubeless, with rim tape & stems. I just needed to juice up the tires with Mavic goo and then inflate them. Instead of removing the valve cores I pulled the tires partway off and put the sealant in that way to get a sense of how easy they were to deal with, and they were indeed very easy.

Now my bike is more French.