OT: I biked around Highway 35 / Highway 1 and want to propose two new bike paths

Paul Chomsky

Jun 25, 2017, 5:30:38 AM6/25/17
to SF2G
Hi folks,

If you recall, Caltrans plans to close a section of Highway 35 in Daly City between Westmoor and Hickey to bikes.  That is, unless we take action like filling the survey before their meeting on June 28th or writing to the supervisor of Bike and Pedestrian program.

Last time the issue was raised, I noticed that the only two alternatives discussed were closing the highway or keeping it as is.  But what if there are alternative safety improvements, like constructing new bike paths?  I tried to survey possible options.  Strava data looked a bit suspicious to me, so I've conducted my own survey (strava ride) and compiled this 11-page report with photographs.  I found one southbound alternative route that is kinda sorta rideable but unsafe and illegal.  And I found a place where a bike path would be a great fit in the northbound direction.

What do you think?  Would these paths be a viable alternative?   I haven't sent the report yet, but I wanted to get your feedback first.  But remember we must hurry.

Check out the full 11-page report with pictures.

--Paul

Paul Chomsky

Jun 25, 2017, 6:22:07 AM6/25/17
to SF2G
Also note that Strava Route builder contains very weird data about this area, and shows way too many steep up- and downhill segments.  I found that suspicious and biked the area myself.  Some grades are not actually that steep or are simply artifacts of Strava algorithms.  While there indeed are steep grades, there's fewer of them than Strava would show you..

BikinHowd

Jun 25, 2017, 12:00:21 PM6/25/17
to SF2G
Very nice write-up, very thoughtful, Paul! Sounds easily doable.
Best wishes!

Adam Cozzette

Jun 25, 2017, 12:47:45 PM6/25/17
to pch...@gmail.com, SF2G
Wow, that's amazing! Thank you for writing this report. A consultant could have probably charged tens of thousands of dollars for this research and you've just provided it for free. Repurposing the abandoned bus stop is a very clever idea.

---

hogorni

Jun 25, 2017, 1:29:11 PM6/25/17
to SF2G, pch...@gmail.com
Don't wait for feedback....SUBMIT YOUR REPORT IMMEDIATELY.  You've put a lot of thought, physical research and documentation into another attempt by Caltrans to limit bikes on State Highways.

There is a little known State Court Decision, Bonano v. Contra Costa County, that essentially says: [The City] then might unwittingly open itself to litigation and liability under the ruling of Bonano v. Contra Costa County, section 835.4.,  "therefore, the reasonableness of a public entity's creation or maintenance of a dangerous condition of its property must be balanced against the costs and benefits of alternative means of providing the public service, not against the alternative of discontinuing the public service."  This is the argument I used to compel the City of San Mateo to provide a bike route through Bay Meadows.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bike Advocacy where it only takes 1 committed and passionate individual to set a course of action which changes and improves the cycling landscape. What began with 1person's vision and research brought about the San Mateo County North-South Bike Route.

pat