OT: Google bike maps routing question

Bret Lobree

Jul 12, 2017, 3:24:48 PM7/12/17
to SF2G
Does anyone know why google maps doesn't route on BART to cross the bay when doing point to point directions?

Thanks in advance,
Bret

Andrew Stadler

Jul 12, 2017, 4:02:43 PM7/12/17
to Bret Lobree, SF2G
What's really odd is that it does offer a ferry route, but not BART or e.g. AC Transit.

---

Justin!

Jul 12, 2017, 4:04:34 PM7/12/17
to SF2G
Meaning that it uses the ferry system instead? My only guess is that it may have gotten set up during a time when BART did not allow bikes during commute hours and so it avoided BART altogether.

Justin!

Jul 12, 2017, 4:12:18 PM7/12/17
to SF2G

Nathan Dushman

Jul 12, 2017, 6:15:46 PM7/12/17
to SF2G
Much as I've wanted a similar feature myself, I can see how it would get complicated to offer directions that include both bicycling and public transit. There would need to be some metric for balancing transit versus bicycling: do you want the route that minimizes bicycling distance, minimizes overall time, minimizes cost? The ferry, on the other hand, only crosses the bay, and from only a small number of locations, so it's an easier problem.

Bret Lobree

Jul 12, 2017, 7:41:55 PM7/12/17
to SF2G, n...@abtech.org
That's a good point, I'd be ok with just an option to get across the bay with minimum PT or maximum PT. Interestingly there is an option to exclude ferry rides which then suggests you ride the Dumbarton bridge.

---

Beckett Madden-Woods

Jul 12, 2017, 7:52:06 PM7/12/17
to blo...@gmail.com, SF2G, n...@abtech.org
I asked internally here at Google. Google Maps support for multi-modal directions is scant, but it's a known shortcoming that the Maps folks do hope to address. Apparently the ferry integration is a long-standing weird exception.

Let's just blame Lina. She works on Google Maps these days. ;-)

Chris Merrill

Jul 12, 2017, 7:55:55 PM7/12/17
to bec...@beckettmw.com, blo...@gmail.com, SF2G, n...@abtech.org
I really enjoy the TriMet planner for the Portland area.

You can choose options like "Bike to Transit" and "Bike and Train Only".
It's not perfect, but I wish we had something like it for the bay area.

Jason Thorpe

Jul 12, 2017, 8:00:39 PM7/12/17
to bec...@beckettmw.com, Bret Lobree, SF2G, n...@abtech.org

On Jul 12, 2017, at 4:51 PM, Beckett Madden-Woods <bec...@beckettmw.com> wrote:

Let's just blame Lina. She works on Google Maps these days. ;-)

Oh, I thought she only went on epic vacations these days!

-- thorpej

Peter Colijn

Jul 12, 2017, 8:01:42 PM7/12/17
to Beckett Madden-Woods, Bret Lobree, SF2G, n...@abtech.org
Good to know :)

I actually wondered this myself, since pretty much any time you ask for bike directions from SF to somewhere "far" that is not south, it tells you to take a ferry first.

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 3:15 PM Nathan Dushman <n...@abtech.org> wrote:
Much as I've wanted a similar feature myself, I can see how it would get complicated to offer directions that include both bicycling and public transit. There would need to be some metric for balancing transit versus bicycling: do you want the route that minimizes bicycling distance, minimizes overall time, minimizes cost? The ferry, on the other hand, only crosses the bay, and from only a small number of locations, so it's an easier problem.

---

---

---

Peter Chang

Jul 12, 2017, 8:39:06 PM7/12/17
to SF2G

Le mercredi 12 juillet 2017 17:01:42 UTC-7, Peter Colijn a écrit :

I actually wondered this myself, since pretty much any time you ask for bike directions from SF to somewhere "far" that is not south, it tells you to take a ferry first.

so we know it's not lina, because it would suggest some weird train route.

\p

Ken MacInnis

Jul 12, 2017, 9:00:31 PM7/12/17
to SF2G, d...@google.com
She’s becoming more Merican by the day. I’m actually really proud.

---

Lina Mårtensson

Jul 12, 2017, 9:26:07 PM7/12/17
to Ken MacInnis, Peter Chang, SF2G