OT: What Do You Mean “You Don’t Have a Bike”?!

Scott Crosby

Mar 28, 2015, 10:17:33 AM3/28/15
to SF2G, Ted Ketai
MMM speaks the truth yet again. My favorite blog for sure.

It’s time for this silliness to come to an end. You must ride a bike. We all must. It’s not a weird fringe form of transportation that only people in Portland and Colorado do. It’s just simply the way we all get around for moderate intra-city distances.

Peter Chang

Mar 29, 2015, 7:25:39 PM3/29/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 7:17:33 AM UTC-7, impunity wrote:

It’s just simply the way we all get around for moderate intra-city distances.

this came up yesterday when i rode down to san mateo to play games. my friends have done epic bike tours, but riding down from sf seemed to be in a different category for some reason.

\p

djconnel

Mar 29, 2015, 7:46:18 PM3/29/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
One of my favorite quotes on the matter is when someone was asked why he drove to work instead of ride despite a commute of only 2 miles: "it's not far enough to get any real exercise."

Janet Lafleur talks about "microblogging" (Facebook, Twitter, etc) short utilitarian trips on her bike so people are reminded it be an ordinary tool and not just a recreational object. I sort of feel if you need to advertise the use of something it ceases to be ordinary, but especially on the peninsula where she lives, with its extreme car addiction, the message is an important one.

Elliot Schwartz

Mar 29, 2015, 9:44:49 PM3/29/15
to Dan Connelly, SF2G

Car use is certainly normalized by tons and tons of advertising, so I wouldn't worry about making utility bicycling seem extraordinary by writing or talking about it.

On Mar 29, 2015 4:46 PM, "djconnel" <djco...@gmail.com> wrote:
One of my favorite quotes on the matter is when someone was asked why he drove to work instead of ride despite a commute of only 2 miles: "it's not far enough to get any real exercise."

Janet Lafleur talks about "microblogging" (Facebook, Twitter, etc)  short utilitarian trips on her bike so people are reminded it be an ordinary tool and not just a recreational object.  I sort of feel if you need to advertise the use of something it ceases to be ordinary, but especially on the peninsula where she lives, with its extreme car addiction, the message is an important one.

---

Peter Colijn

Mar 30, 2015, 1:18:28 PM3/30/15
to Elliot Schwartz, Dan Connelly, SF2G
Really, it's car use that should seem bizarre. Driving a 2-ton hunk of metal a couple miles (at most) to pick up milk is really ridiculous when you think about it. It really speaks to the power of marketing and advertising that most people consider it normal.

Kurt Wallace Martin

Mar 30, 2015, 1:19:58 PM3/30/15
to caff...@colijn.ca, Elliot Schwartz, Dan Connelly, SF2G
The internal combustion engine in a car wastes ~75% of the energy in the gas.
Then the vehicle is ~74/75ths of the mass the remaining energy has to move
So magical 1% efficiency!