folsom street fuckery (3rd to main) video

Darrin Ward

Jan 26, 2016, 9:36:08 PM1/26/16
to John Murphy, SF2G
the video is really shaky but here is video from

things to note:
- 2 illegal parked vehicles in the bike lane.
- the terrifying bit of having a big tech shuttle next to you as the bike lane disappears at essex.
- the mercedes benz that completely cuts me off as it just decides they can hang out in the bike lane.
- the big trash can that just completely blocks the bike lane.
- the deleted bike lane between beale and main.  the lumina construction got rid of a bike lane.

sorry for any swearing or hate in the video.

Darrin Ward

Jan 26, 2016, 9:37:36 PM1/26/16
to John Murphy, SF2G
sorry i should give more context.

murph, you asked for video from shitty commutes on a bike in the city.

this was video from monday.

also i noticed 3 illegal parked vehicles in the bike lane.

Matthew Kenaston

Jan 27, 2016, 12:50:01 AM1/27/16
to SF2G
Terrifying. I would endorse finding a different route if feasible.

John Murphy

Jan 27, 2016, 12:54:39 AM1/27/16
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Get a car, hippie.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 09:50 PM, Matthew Kenaston wrote:
> Terrifying. I would endorse finding a different route if feasible.
>
> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
> ---

Dave Blizard

Jan 27, 2016, 1:17:06 AM1/27/16
to John Murphy, SF2G
Keep fighting the good fight Darin, well... either that or just move to Amsterdam.

But seriously, I was mesmerized by this video. A commuting utopia really does exist!!

Ryan Anderson

Jan 27, 2016, 2:23:14 AM1/27/16
to Darrin Ward, John Murphy, SF2G
How do you have that camera mounted? That's a really hard video to watch.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 6:35 PM, Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com> wrote:

---

Ryan

R Samuel Klatchko

Jan 27, 2016, 2:01:31 PM1/27/16
to SF2G, dmw...@gmail.com, ta...@murphstahoe.com
I'd guess helmet mounted and he's alternating between looking at traffic and the road surface.

On a related note, what's with the sidewalk getting so wide for the ~20 feet right before Main where it's not wide enough for a bike lane.

Darrin Ward

Jan 27, 2016, 2:08:22 PM1/27/16
to R Samuel Klatchko, SF2G, John Murphy
its actually a k-edge, joint garmin and gopro mount.

i do need to fix the mount BUT as most people who ride folsom on a daily basis know, its not exactly the most paved street.  there are some stretches that are particular bad.  also a common go pro complaint is the lack of true image stabilization.

so if i had to write a post mortem there would be three causes.

Ken MacInnis

Jan 27, 2016, 2:12:51 PM1/27/16
to dmw...@gmail.com, R Samuel Klatchko, SF2G, John Murphy
FWIW, I've had better luck with the older oblong Garmin Virb devices, having those and a GoPro (3, Black) mounted in the same jittery racecar. They're pretty cheap since they've been discontinued and the Elite comes with GPS integrated (the Garmin software is pretty neat for overlaying data/maps).

The GoPro is still better for things that require accessories, like diving, since it's so ubiquitous.

Ted Ketai

Jan 27, 2016, 2:23:10 PM1/27/16
to Darrin Ward, R Samuel Klatchko, SF2G, John Murphy
Yeah I don't know what was going on there but I couldn't watch the video as it was making my nauseous. I trust Folsom is shitty though!

Ryan Anderson

Jan 27, 2016, 2:35:00 PM1/27/16
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com> wrote:
its actually a k-edge, joint garmin and gopro mount.

i do need to fix the mount BUT as most people who ride folsom on a daily basis know, its not exactly the most paved street.  there are some stretches that are particular bad.  also a common go pro complaint is the lack of true image stabilization.

so if i had to write a post mortem there would be three causes.

It was the rhythmic flexing that was bothering me, not the bumps.  I think your handlebars are flexing (maybe you're standing?) and it gets this nice sweeping up/down thing that is really rough when viewed.

Anyway, you're aware of the problem. :)

--
Ryan