OT-ish: growler day east bay century

Alexandre Passos

Mar 29, 2015, 10:49:07 PM3/29/15
to SF2G, Zoe Hoster, Cordelia Link
Since some people expressed interest in tagging along, here is my aspirational route for growler day: https://app.strava.com/routes/2033457

You're welcome to tag along and not fill any growlers, or fill many. I plan on filling one growler at each of the four breweries below.

Starting early in the day (taking bart around 8 @ embarcadero to west oakland, to make the timing work), then riding 44mi to Altamont ( altamontbeerworks.com ), in livermore (their beers are amazing, if you're into not-obscenely-bitter hops), with a food break on the way in East st (there seem to be many options out there, so not making a decision now).

Then riding another 44mi to Fieldworks ( www.fieldworkbrewing.com ) in berkeley (they will make sours soon, but they have pretty great pale ales and a nice saison and a stout on tap / growlers).

Then 4-ish miles to the rare barrel (they make the best sour beers ever, but to fill a growler you need to be a member of their club thing, which I am).

An optional (depending on timing) turn onto alameda to get a final growler at faction before boarding the bart at west oakland back to embarcadero, where I'll strongly regret the decision to carry all these growlers up to Peter's house. Faction is a nice place to get an "I did this" beer because of the view: https://brewtours.wordpress.com/2012/12/23/4-new-breweries-to-look-out-for-in-2013/factionawesomeview/

If someone feels aventurous or really wants a growler from another brewery linden st ( www.lindenstreetbrewing.com ), pacific coast ( www.pacificcoastbrewing.com ), pyramid ( www.pyramidbrew.com/alehouses/berkeley ), sierra nevada ( www.sierranevada.com/brewery/california/torpedoroo ), woods ( www.woodsbeer.com ), and many others are less than a mile off course and do growlers.

Of course the route and stops are up for negotiation. Timing in tricky given the whole sunset thing, but the goal is to have some snacks in livermore and get to altamont by the time they open around 12 noon (they often have trucks on the taproom but I don't want to depend on it), which leaves plenty of time for a belly-full-of-beer-pannier-with-a-growler crawl back to civilization.

I tried to make the route interesting and sufficiently different from the recent east bay rides, but it's hard.
--
 - Alexandre

Nathan Dushman

Mar 29, 2015, 11:28:55 PM3/29/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
You don't want to go up Marin Ave in Berkeley, especially carrying a full growler. Take one of the less-direct roads to Grizzly Peak. Trust me.

If the timing works and the rules allow, you could catch a ferry from Alameda or Jack London Square instead of BART home.

Nathan

Rob

Mar 30, 2015, 12:06:09 AM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 8:28:55 PM UTC-7, Nathan Dushman wrote:
You don't want to go up Marin Ave in Berkeley, especially carrying a full growler. Take one of the less-direct roads to Grizzly Peak. Trust me.

nice job spoiling the surprise, Nathan. Regardless, given the dirt rides these folks have been to out of Pacifica I think they'll be just fine going up Marin.

Alexandre Passos

Mar 30, 2015, 12:09:57 AM3/30/15
to rob...@manchero.org, SF2G
Oh at that point we'd be going down, not up. Rerouted anyway, thanks for the tip :-)

---

 - Alexandre

Nathan Dushman

Mar 30, 2015, 12:29:44 PM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 9:09:57 PM UTC-7, Alexandre Passos wrote:
Oh at that point we'd be going down, not up. Rerouted anyway, thanks for the tip :-)

Ah, didn't look carefully enough at which direction you were going... but downhill wouldn't be good either.

Another suggestion: after the stop in Berkeley, continue on Gilman towards the bay. Just after you cross under I-80, turn left onto the bike trail that parallels the frontage road. It's much nicer than San Pablo Ave. At University, you can either stay along the bay, or cross over the highway on the bike/ped bridge and take the trail through aquatic park, as shown here: https://app.strava.com/activities/241802161

Nathan

Zoe Hoster

Mar 30, 2015, 4:51:33 PM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

in a moment of compromised judgement I agreed to do this .. no backing out now ..

Cordelia Link

Mar 30, 2015, 5:13:35 PM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1, but I'm very unlikely to be carrying growlers

Rob

Mar 30, 2015, 5:33:35 PM3/30/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
video footage of marin ave is @ 1:40

https://vimeo.com/42498613

should get some points for carrying a growler up it -- or perhaps just wait till you get back to SF and ride up dalewood.

Peter Chang

Mar 31, 2015, 12:47:15 AM3/31/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 2:33:35 PM UTC-7, Rob wrote:

should get some points for carrying a growler up it -- or perhaps just wait till you get back to SF and ride up dalewood.

hmmm.... my memory is that marin is harder than dalewood, but i guess marin has the flat crossstreets where you get to 'rest'.

\p

Rob

Mar 31, 2015, 12:55:44 AM3/31/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com