fuck

John Murphy

Jun 23, 2016, 12:36:09 AM6/23/16
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I got home from a nice sunset ride to find that 2 cyclists were killed
by hit and run drivers in SF today.

7th/Folsom, and GGP

Stay lucky

Darrin Ward

Jun 23, 2016, 12:47:23 AM6/23/16
to John Murphy, SF2G
wow i was at jfk and transverse drive not more than 30 mins before that cyclist was killed.

cant find the story about 7th and folsom.

---

John Murphy

Jun 23, 2016, 12:49:55 AM6/23/16
to Darrin Ward, SF2G

Darrin Ward

Jun 23, 2016, 12:50:34 AM6/23/16
to John Murphy, SF2G

John Murphy

Jun 23, 2016, 12:54:25 AM6/23/16
to Darrin Ward, SF2G
The SoMa one has a lot of details I found in some random facebook group.
The rider was t-boned by a BMW running a red light at ~50 MPH. Uncertain if cyclist survived.
Driver did not get away, uncertain if they tried to, the car wasn't very drivable (airbags deployed/etc...)

Darrin Ward

Jun 23, 2016, 12:58:10 AM6/23/16
to John Murphy, SF2G
all really sad.

Darrin Ward

Jun 23, 2016, 1:06:44 AM6/23/16
to John Murphy, SF2G

Peter Chang

Jun 23, 2016, 1:29:29 AM6/23/16
to SF2G
:-(

Mark Kahn

Jun 23, 2016, 2:55:36 PM6/23/16
to SF2G
these both really suck (obviously)...the GGP one has me on the verge of hyperventilation though...would never expect that there.

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 10:29:29 PM UTC-7, Peter Chang wrote:
:-(

Kurt Wallace Martin

Jun 23, 2016, 3:12:42 PM6/23/16
to mark....@gmail.com, SF2G
The Michigan thing just shows how anyone can be cut down any time. That was wide shoulder, broad daylight, straight road…

Stefan

Jun 23, 2016, 3:28:43 PM6/23/16
to SF2G, ta...@murphstahoe.com
50-60 mph on JFK, of all places, and hitting someone head on while passing other vehicles, then takes off, after having killed a person?  Fuck is an understatement.
My wife commutes on her bike through the park 2-4 times a week from GH.
Where does the insanity end?

Ted Lesher_

Jun 23, 2016, 4:04:03 PM6/23/16
to SF2G, ta...@murphstahoe.com
Ugh so sad and disgusting. I've had a couple close calls along that stretch with vehicles overtaking other vehicles and going WAY across the double yellow line. Very scary considering most of us ride there very frequently, and I consider golden gate park "safer" than other parts of the city for biking in.

Drk

Jun 23, 2016, 11:32:55 PM6/23/16
to SF2G
I suspect that it is not a coincidence. I am guessing that they were virtual road racing with GPS. I have notice some crazy driving, different than normal. Anyone know how to research if this might be going on?

impunity

Jun 25, 2016, 2:14:06 AM6/25/16
to SF2G, dmw...@gmail.com
SDBC page: http://www.sfbike.org/news/how-to-honor-heather-and-kate/

the dude/hero who essentially apprehended the BMW X3 driver (7th/Howard homicide) gives his account here:

the driver is Farrukh Mushtaq, another local, age 32. OP thought possibly drunk.

I saw a man flee a car with airbags opened and signs of a fresh accident, as the car hit into another car. Called 911 and tried to get the attention of other driving passerbys that paused but kept going. As the guy tried to blend in with others on the street, I chased him down with another pedestrian and demanded he sit and wait for the police, he obliged. Definitely not sober. F'ing guy killed someone due to his recklessness. Witnesses said he blew through a red light when he struck the girl. His car told the same story.

Kate was 26, Heather was 41. so, so sad.

I don't have much faith in George Gascon lifting a finger, as usual. "It was an accident, after all." "Insufficient evidence." That kind of thing.

Scott Crosby

Jun 26, 2016, 1:24:44 PM6/26/16
to John Murphy, SF2G, dmw...@gmail.com, Janice Li, marg...@sfbike.org
Take a minute to let Gascon know how you feel on twitter -- @georgegascon. and of course good ol' Ed, cardboard cutout of a mayor: @mayoredlee.

SFBC link re Heather and Kate: http://goo.gl/FoLNgF

I will be flabbergasted if Farrukh gets more than probation for the homicide of Kate Slattery.

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 11:03 AM, John Murphy <murph...@fastmail.com> wrote:
Mr. Gascón said the ride had started in Marin County, across the Golden Gate Bridge, and that Mr. Bucchere "was trying to beat his own record" on the route. "He had a need for speed," Mr. Gascón said.

I look forward to George Gascon's characterization of Farrukh Mushtaqh.

The GGP carwas stolen. Then again, the guy who ran over the guy on tunnel road -which was captured on the riders go-pro - claimed his car was stolen too...

John Murphy - ta...@murphstahoe.com

Join us to make Sonoma County a great place to ride a bike at www.bikesonoma.org

---