OT: May is coming

Peter Colijn

Apr 28, 2016, 7:59:36 PM4/28/16
to SF2G
Hi folks,

May (aka bike to work month) is just around the corner, and it's a pretty rad time for all things SF2G. Some of the various things you may or may not be interested in:

1. "team" bike challenge: it looks like this year, the competition is different! There are no more 5 person teams, but instead there is a "showdown tags" feature. Basically it means we can ALL be on one massive "team partycar".

Also new this year, there's an app for tracking rides. Go to app.teambikechallenge.com to install it (iPhone & Android). I installed the Android version and unfortunately it looks kind of crappy, but perhaps they will improve it. Just add the hash tag #partycar in your profile to get all your rides counted. You can have up to 3 hash tags, so in a way you can be on multiple "teams".

I don't know if the points system is the same (i.e. max 3 points/day for 20 miles/day), the site doesn't say yet.

Please pitch in and track all your rides in May with the app, so we can vanquish our foes and spread the gospel of partycar far and wide.

(Note: if I previously contacted you and asked you to be on the partycar.com team, just do this instead, it replaces the old teams feature.)

2. stickering: look out for some stickering ride calls next week and the week after to get Bayway looking its best for bike to work day. Help is very much appreciated with this because it's pretty tedious with just one person.

3. Mount Ham day: May 11, the day before bike to work day. Check out the separate thread with ride call. Very very awesome ride.

4. Bike to work day: May 12, there will be a separate ride call thread. Come out and enjoy a chill ride to work with tons of festive happy people and free stuff.

5. 5d1w.SKY: 5 days of skyline, May 16-20. Expect all the cool variants to be there, from sheep camp to legit to hallview.

6. 5d1w.HMB: 5 days of half moon bayway, May 23-27. Includes HALF MOON BARWAY on May 27! Half moon barway is awesome, you do NOT want to miss it.
may_is_coming.jpg
everyone_partycar.jpg

Chris Merrill

Apr 28, 2016, 8:11:53 PM4/28/16
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G
Also, FYI, the team bike challenge site is apparently not using their new app (yet). Details from the Apple bike-to-work list, via our buddy Ramesh...:

"""
From TBC

"We know that many of you have been trying to get on the new website or download and use the new app we created for this year. And we know that's been super frustrating since neither are working properly even at this very late date.

That's why we're going back to the former website (http://teambikechallenge.com/), which works just the way you remember it. All your data from previous years is still there, and you just need to sign in and start tracking your mileage come Sunday, May 1.  We're in the process of updating all the dates and some other details on the site, but it's fully functional and ready to get to work for you!

Please note: Be sure to clear your cache if you already tried to use the new site so that you are redirected to the old site. And, note that the new app we asked you to download does not sync with the website, so we recommend that you work directly through the website.”
"""

---

Yvonne Yip

Apr 28, 2016, 8:39:49 PM4/28/16
to Christopher Merrill, Peter Colijn, SF2G
I saw on the FAQ that rides in a loop are not legit. Is that also a rule from last year? e.g. If I need 20 miles on a weekend, I can't go out for a random 20mi ride?

Christine Ryan

Apr 28, 2016, 8:50:03 PM4/28/16
to yky...@gmail.com, Christopher Merrill, Peter Colijn, SF2G
That's why we *always* incorporate such vital errands (aka Very Important Errands) as getting coffee, checking to see if maybe you left a Clif Bar wrapper up on Radio Road, or the ever-popular "where IS @karl today??"
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Bret Lobree

Apr 28, 2016, 8:54:01 PM4/28/16
to crya...@gmail.com, yky...@gmail.com, Christopher Merrill, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Don't for get to make sure the ocean is still there.

Ramesh Baller

Apr 28, 2016, 9:02:16 PM4/28/16
to Chris Merrill, Peter Colijn, SF2G
On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Chris Merrill <ch...@notspelledright.com> wrote:
Also, FYI, the team bike challenge site is apparently not using their new app (yet). Details from the Apple bike-to-work list, via our buddy Ramesh...:

Thanks for re-sharing this with our good friends at SF2G :)

I have a new team and a new manager now which also means I can participate in Team Bike Challenge this year. w00t! Let's bring it on!!!! :D

Ramesh

Christine Ryan

Apr 28, 2016, 9:03:02 PM4/28/16
to Bret Lobree, yky...@gmail.com, Christopher Merrill, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Absolutely. That ocean isn't going to check on itself.

Yvonne Yip

Apr 28, 2016, 9:06:51 PM4/28/16
to Christine Ryan, Bret Lobree, Christopher Merrill, Peter Colijn, SF2G
You never know what might happen with climate change.

Since they're using the old website, does Peter's initial email still apply? If I search for partycar in teams, I see various partycar teams.

Ramesh Baller

Apr 28, 2016, 9:15:49 PM4/28/16
to Yvonne Yip, Christine Ryan, Bret Lobree, Christopher Merrill, Peter Colijn, SF2G
On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Yvonne Yip <yky...@gmail.com> wrote:
Since they're using the old website, does Peter's initial email still apply?

They have decided to go back to the old rules since their new site/app turned into a total FUBAR. Rules are still the same as last year according to this e.mail from TBC.

From TBC

"One thing that IS different, however, is that we’ve updated our Terms of Agreement for Team Bike Challenge. While all the rules, regulations, etc. are the same, you’ll see that instead of Bay Area Bicycle Coalition (BABC) as the party involved, it now says teambikechallenge and affiliates."

Peter Colijn

Apr 28, 2016, 11:03:46 PM4/28/16
to Chris Merrill, SF2G
Wow, thanks! I never got any email, which sucks. So anyway, forget all that stuff I said about hash tags. Looks like the regular team competition is ON!

Christine Windsor

Apr 28, 2016, 11:27:19 PM4/28/16
to Peter Colijn, Chris Merrill, SF2G
Yeah, I was supposed to be a tester for them, I never actually got the test build to let me login let alone function, or find the place where I could report bugs, like not being able to login. Maybe if they continue to work on it, next year will be awesome?