Who is running ServiceStack?

Tim Nelson

Oct 18, 2013, 5:41:15 PM10/18/13
to servic...@googlegroups.com
My boss is having us do a bake-off to decide which Web Framework to use for our next generation application.

Heavy CRUD SPA browser-based apps.

Down to a few contenders, but everyone likes Django except me.

His reply to me was:

          "Nobody uses Servicestack. Find me someone."

Need some heavy-hitters to squash this argument.

Thanks!

Tomas Janovsky

Oct 18, 2013, 6:33:49 PM10/18/13
to servic...@googlegroups.com
Didn't you say "next generation"? Also I'm not sure if Django is the perfect example for a SPA. Sure it can return json (exactly as plain asp.net mvc can do very well), but it's not ideal for many reasons. Have a look at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/713847/recommendations-of-python-rest-web-services-framework and check out microframeworks like flask, maybe tornado..

Decision between python and C# is really important, and the question about how many projects are running on servicestack is probably the least important. What is the current platform at your company, is the team more experienced in C# or python, what about the operations team? Are you planning to have multiple instances (means license costs unless your boss feels a little bit adventurous and wants to try mono, which I doubt judging from the question). I'm sure you already asked those questions, but I can't imagine that the pros/cons would be so even.

Back to the question, I would love to know the answer too. The website is a bit shy on references/customers. I know several projects that are very happily using some parts of the servicestack family (redis client, ormlite, json serializer), but I haven't personally seen anyone using the full stack.

Thanks
Tom

Demis Bellot

Oct 18, 2013, 6:54:53 PM10/18/13
to servic...@googlegroups.com
You can see the public feedback from people using ServiceStack on Twitter at:
https://twitter.com/favorites

There are also ~100k total downloads of just the ServiceStack framework on NuGet:

Like Tomas says the decision on whether you want to deploy on Linux should be more important than who uses ServiceStack, e.g. if your primary deployment platform is Linux it's better to go with Python as Mono isn't production quality and has an immature ASP.NET/server community behind it.

Prior to going full-time on ServiceStack, I worked at StackOverflow Careers for 2 years who uses ServiceStack for all its Back Office operations.

If deploying on Windows is an option, then I also maintain an internal document with a list of Internet sites that I notice are running ServiceStack. I can give you access (for internal use only) if you think it would help.

- Demis

Bryan Ross

Oct 18, 2013, 9:46:52 PM10/18/13
to servic...@googlegroups.com
We currently use it at Stack Exchange

Bryan Ross

Tomas Janovsky

Oct 19, 2013, 3:09:30 AM10/19/13
to servic...@googlegroups.com
Demis,

thank you for the great feedback. It is also very interesting to hear your opinion about the mono maturity.

It is really shame that you can't share the list. I think that just StackExchange and one or two others should be enough to put them on the website to make it a lot easier to convince people to use ServiceStack and to be much more confident about the decision.

Regards

Demis Bellot

Oct 19, 2013, 3:51:03 AM10/19/13
to servic...@googlegroups.com
Well I've personally always deployed everything on servicestack.net on Linux/Mono since I created servicestack.net 4+ years ago myself. But it's a sub-par experience to what you can expect on Windows, e.g. re-deploying requires downtime, and every 3-6 months Mono hits 100% CPU spikes which I have to manually restart. Mono is also pretty slow compared to .NET, with tasks like the start-up time of compiling razor views taking considerably longer than .NET which can be unacceptable when coupled with the downtime during re-deploys. These issues can be mitigated with process monitors and load-balanced servers but the resources for optimal hosting of Mono services is rare due to the immaturity of the community. And with Xamarin's primary focus now on mobile platforms, they have scarce few resources now on ASP.NET and they lack continuous builds for Linux where the major releases for Linux lag behind other platforms: http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Basically it's hard to recommend hosting on Mono if there aren't resources dedicated to fixing bugs and no officially supported way to get software updates on Linux (everyone compiling from src isn't a good solution). It's definitely something I would like to see and I plan on researching optimal hosting strategies once I have free time, but without a strong community of hosting on Mono I can't see the situation improving in the near future.

The document is just a collection of urls of deployed ServiceStack instances that I've been compiling whenever I notice a new site running ServiceStack pop up. I haven't personally been in contact with these companies so I don't think it's right to make the list publicly available without explicit consent. As the urls/endpoints are public I think it's ok for individuals to see who's running Internet ServiceStack sites if it helps them, but don't feel comfortable making the list public.

Thanks,
Demis

Ramesh Subramaniam

Mar 14, 2014, 10:14:13 AM3/14/14
to servic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

I have started using Service Stack few months back I like it a lot with respect to development.
My question is what is the best way to deploy it on Windows only as I need my application to be running in many client machines who use windows mostly.
As we will be deploying it in multiple machines I want a solution that will allow me to do updates easily with less/no down time.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Ramesh