Handling of Failed Check-Ins

Craig Lambert

Jun 24, 2012, 11:16:44 PM6/24/12
to seriesguide...@googlegroups.com
If a trakt.tv check-in fails because of time, the GetGlue check-in still goes through. The problem is when I go to check-in again (when the time as expired) I have to un-select GetGlue. For me it would seem better to fail both upon an unsuccessful trakt.tv check-in. That way I can avoid accidentally checking in to GetGlue twice.

I'm not sure how well I explained that.

The kids have kept me busy and I haven't gotten to watch much tv over the last few months. I miss using SeriesGuide. :)

Uwe Trottmann

Jun 25, 2012, 9:26:50 AM6/25/12
to seriesguide...@googlegroups.com
You just hit upon a problem nearly all distributed systems have: realizing a global transaction :)

I of course could try to revert the e.g. GetGlue check-in. But what happens if that web-API call fails? I always could theoretically try to revert the check in of the other service, however I can't be sure that will work.

I thought about keeping the check in dialog open and displaying the check-in progress on each service there, potentially offering something like a (maybe just automatic) retry button...

Uwe

Craig Lambert

Jun 25, 2012, 9:34:01 AM6/25/12
to seriesguide...@googlegroups.com
Hmm...  Yeah.  Maybe that's a good way to handle it.  It's not that big of a deal though.  I never knew what actually happened until I made a point to check yesterday.  I kinda figured it worked like it does though because I would uncheck GetGlue when I thought about it.

I wouldn't waste too much time on it really.  It's fine the way it is.  I'll just make a conscious effort to make sure to look quickly and see that both boxes are checked before checking in.  It's not a biggie.