full on blood testing recommendations before going keto? (London, UK)

Judita M

Sep 21, 2015, 4:46:36 AM9/21/15
to Self-hacking
I'd like to test my blood prior to going keto (in addition to tracking ketones/glucose).

Any suggestions of what kind of markers are important to follow in this sort of experiment?

And where I could get such blood tests done in London? :)

Ken Snyder

Sep 21, 2015, 4:54:47 AM9/21/15
to Judita M, Self-hacking
  • CRP - general inflammation levels
  • Triglycerides - very sensitive to dietary change ... might as well get this with a standard lipid panel (LDL, HDL, etc.) although I value those markers less
  • ApoB - proxy for LDL partical size (which you don't get in a LDL-c test), also a CVD (waning) and Mental disease (continuing) risk marker
  • Blood Pressure - I use the Withings device that plugs into the iPhone ... makes this very easy but it is a marker you can see move in relation to a dietary shift like this
Based on Marcus's talk last QS I'd say maybe something white/red-blood cell counts (at least if you're working in some fasting to get to ketogenesis). I can't recommend though as I've not done it.