Selenium certification ?

rahul arora

May 4, 2012, 2:31:19 AM5/4/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Do we have any certification on Selenium like we have on other tools like QTP HP certification.

Thanks,
Rahul Arora

Krishnan Mahadevan

May 4, 2012, 2:31:58 AM5/4/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
None that I am aware of.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

André AS

May 4, 2012, 10:06:03 PM5/4/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

not really

raghu nandan

May 5, 2012, 1:40:32 AM5/5/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
no we dont have any such certification for open source selenium.
with regards
RaghuNandan

Do you know that it takes 10 litres of water to produce 1 sheet of A4 paper?

Don't print this unless you have to :)

Sairam Prasath

May 5, 2012, 3:13:10 AM5/5/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Found this certification for Selenium.  Seems to be an initiative by Govt. Of India.  Have a look at it.  Me too interested but don't know how far our industry will recognize this.

Experts,
Any views??

Regards,
Sairam Prasath.

Mark Collin

May 5, 2012, 3:46:03 AM5/5/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Doesn’t even mention WebDriver so I would guess it’s a waste of space, but without seeing some details on the course I couldn’t be sure..

Raman Ahuja

May 5, 2012, 4:24:45 AM5/5/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
I don't trust on it since its not Internationally recognized and covering only basic part of selenium excluding Selenium Webdriver.

Thanks,
Raman

Tarun Kumar

May 7, 2012, 12:35:31 AM5/7/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
I would be utterly surprised if orgs begin to value such certificates.

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM, raghu nandan <nand...@gmail.com> wrote:
no we dont have any such certification for open source selenium.

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 7:36 AM, André AS <ti.andr...@gmail.com> wrote:

not really

On May 4, 2012 3:32 AM, "Krishnan Mahadevan" <krishnan.mahadevan1978@gmail.com> wrote:
None that I am aware of.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM, rahul arora <rahular...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do we have any certification on Selenium like we have on other tools like QTP HP certification.

Thanks,
Rahul Arora

with regards
RaghuNandan

Do you know that it takes 10 litres of water to produce 1 sheet of A4 paper?

Don't print this unless you have to :)

skiddie95

May 7, 2012, 2:40:00 PM5/7/12
to Selenium Users
The fact that there is no recognized Selenium certification is turning
out to be a major flaw at the company where I work. We are looking to
hire, but unable to find anyone with the right credentials. Candidates
who've listed Selenium experience, often have very little or only the
most basic. We're getting extremely frustrated with the interviews and
have even had to drop one contractor when he turned out to know
nothing more than basic record/playback within only one browser.

skiddie95

May 7, 2012, 2:42:29 PM5/7/12
to Selenium Users
Right about now, it is all that matters to the company I work for.
We're tired of interviewing folks who list Selenium on their resume,
but turn out to have very little knowledge and no practical
experience.

On May 7, 12:35 am, Tarun Kumar <tkum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would be utterly surprised if orgs begin to value such certificates.
>

> On Saturday, May 5, 2012 12:43:10 PM UTC+5:30, SAI wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Found this certification for Selenium.  Seems to be an initiative by Govt.
> > Of India.  Have a look at it.  Me too interested but don't know how far our
> > industry will recognize this.
>
> > Experts,
> > Any views??
>
> >http://www.vskills.in/certification/Certified-Selenium-Professional
>
> > Regards,
> > Sairam Prasath.
>
> > On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM, raghu nandan <nandu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> no we dont have any such certification for open source selenium.

> >> --
> >> with regards
> >> RaghuNandan
>
> >> Do you know that it takes 10 litres of water to produce 1 sheet of A4
> >> paper?
>
> >> Don't print this unless you have to :)

Tarun Kumar

May 7, 2012, 10:44:45 PM5/7/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Even the certified (if there were any genuine certificate) candidate may not show required skills. In fact I have not seen any relation b/w certification and skill in general.
It may just help you in filtering the candidate and you might as well lose good candidate in this process.

Now in your case, you can always pre-screen candidate, before calling for face to face interview. I hope you are already doing that.
my two cents.

> >> --
> >> with regards
> >> RaghuNandan
>
> >> Do you know that it takes 10 litres of water to produce 1 sheet of A4
> >> paper?
>
> >> Don't print this unless you have to :)

Krishnan Mahadevan

May 7, 2012, 10:48:17 PM5/7/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Moreover you need to be aware of the fact thst there are some "not so cool ways" of getting a certificate and still not knowing much about selenium :)

I suggest that you take the time testes technique of going through candidates, evaluating their skills before on-boarding them. Whoever said "Gold" can be found lying on the roads or streets :)
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/selenium-users/-/z_JzXvsLMKYJ.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

Mark Collin

May 8, 2012, 4:26:13 AM5/8/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Certification won't fix this problem, in fact it may well exacerbate it. I
suspect most highly experienced Selenium/WebDriver people won't bother with
the certification (I know I wouldn't bother with it) because it offers them
nothing. If you demand somebody be certified you may well remove your
ability to hire the most experienced Selenium people around.

Certification in itself only proves that somebody can research a subject and
pass an arbitrary test. It does not guarantee that people understand the
subject and can apply the knowledge. It's a useful step for somebody fresh
out of university/college to prove that they have an interest in a subject
and a very basic grounding, but it won't tell you more than that.

Even with a certification you will still need to test people to see if they
are capable or not.

The problem is in your hiring strategy, you can't just ask people some
random questions and expect them to be experts if they get them right.
There are far too many places to pull up interview questions and answers.
To pull something random from the users list:

http://qualitytrainings.com/selenium_rc_interview_questions

I would suggest asking your candidates the above questions and if they
parrot back the answers shown *DO NOT* hire them, they likely have no clue.
There is also an interview questions thread somewhere in the users group
where people supply and are given credit for incorrect answers. There are
probably people hiring right now based upon inaccurate information and
failing to hire people who know their stuff because the questions they are
asking are bogus.

The only way to guarantee you have somebody who knows their stuff is to set
up an approximately one hour long automation test where a couple of people
who really know Selenium/WebDriver inside out sit down with the candidate
and let him/her write some automated tests and explain what they are doing
and why they are doing it. It sounds like a pain but is the only way you
will get a decent idea of their abilities and familiarity with the
Selenium/WebDriver API.

Asking some HR person to thrown in random coding questions they know nothing
about and looking for exact answers to match the script they have been given
will never get you anywhere.
"Selenium Users" group.

Tarun Kumar

May 8, 2012, 4:33:28 AM5/8/12
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Very well said mark

kush raina

Sep 6, 2013, 2:54:45 AM9/6/13
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi I am fresher just out of college.I have been put into selenium-webdriver automation testing.But as you guys are telling there is no such use of doing certification in selenium.How can i come to know whether i am doing well in my work.Please give me some tips to increase  my selenium automation skills and how can i increse my skills in automation.I am from C.S.E background.
Thanks
Regards
Kush.

Sharath Konda

Sep 10, 2013, 10:04:05 AM9/10/13
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
I agree with your email. The interview strategy should be changed across the board.
Giving an assignment in the interview is equally important and at the same time it should be informed to the candidate.

Saurava Singh

Sep 12, 2013, 4:55:11 AM9/12/13
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Check this link: http://www.vskills.in/certification/Certified-Selenium-Professional

Certification is good only if you have cleared it with honesty.
And you have in depth theoretical knowledge and implementation knowledge.
To higher right selenium professional the employer has to Change the interview strategy.
Provide system ask the candidate to solve automation problems.
This is the only way to hire right professional.

Sincerely,
Saurava Singh.
08427923179

NARENDER RANA

Dec 12, 2013, 4:52:43 AM12/12/13
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I have also cleared the certification in selenium from vskills, I am a working professional working in an IT Company, our company has jointly taken the certification from vskills. only 50% of the candidates are able to clear the certification i am one of them.

On Friday, September 6, 2013, kush raina wrote:
Hi I am fresher just out of college.I have been put into selenium-webdriver automation testing.But as you guys are telling there is no such use of doing certification in selenium.How can i come to know whether i am doing well in my work.Please give me some tips to increase  my selenium automation skills and how can i increse my skills in automation.I am from C.S.E background.
Thanks
Regards
Kush.

Ken Pace

Dec 14, 2013, 1:50:11 PM12/14/13
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Certification in anything QA related is a usually waste of time and money, and in the worst case conveys competence when none is present.

The first resume I see with "Certified Selenium Professional" on it is going into the trash can.  Certified by who?  What makes them qualified to determine competency?

Want a Selenium job?  Take an automation problem, solve it, and put it on github.  Don't have a problem?  Make up your own.

Then in the interview it's a simple matter of bringing up your github page, and walking through your solution.  "Here's how I run tests in parallel.  Here's how I interact with this goofy dynamic table that doesn't have any id's.  Here's how I handle ajax-y stuff.  Here's how I hooked in a data provider using excel to test 50 different ways the inputs on this form".  Etc.  After screening dozens of candidates for the last opening we had, the guy we hired had done just that, and it's what set him apart from the rest.

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:55:11 AM UTC-7, Saurava Singh wrote:
[...]

Dhananjay Venuri

Feb 2, 2014, 7:16:14 PM2/2/14
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
I agree we need some standards to determine the seniority or the expectation of the skill sets with selenium around different technologies... people@ interviews ask sr automation engineer the architect/principal level questionaire like frameworks/parameterisation/performance testing/session handling/objects cloning via pattern interfaces etc... seems very frustrating to explain how new the tool is and its development tool instead of regular testing tool. however brainbench/udemy websites needs to be industry qa level standardised...Does anyone feel the same frustrated towards lack of basic qa features in seleneium or is it new era we have entered?

Krishnan Mahadevan

Feb 3, 2014, 12:16:05 AM2/3/14
to Selenium Users
Dhananjay

When you say "Lack of QA Features in Selenium" can you please help elaborate as to what exactly are you even looking for here ?

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/selenium-users/0d6425f5-2bc1-4ef2-8ffd-9d905d62479a%40googlegroups.com.

Shawn Knight

Feb 10, 2014, 12:02:03 AM2/10/14
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Wow, impressive sample questions --- http://www.vskills.in/certification/Certified-Selenium-Professional-Sample-Questions

"Does anyone feel the same frustrated towards lack of basic qa features in seleneium" -- When did Selenium become solely a QA tool? What QA features do you speak of? Please tell me what does this browser automation tool lack? Remember, this is a open source project, please feel free to checkout the code and build these missing features.

Shawn McCarthy

Feb 10, 2014, 9:06:53 AM2/10/14
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
My favorite question so far is :
3. The test language usually used in Selenium is ________________.
PHP
Python
Javascript
None of the Above

That one would definitely trick me! All of those have selenium/webdriver bindings.

NANI.THRINATH

Feb 10, 2014, 8:41:06 PM2/10/14
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
They developed a Javascript library that could drive interactions with the page, allowing to automatically rerun tests against multiple browsers.

Regards,
Thrinath

Regards,
Thirnath

Padma Priya

Feb 14, 2014, 7:35:05 AM2/14/14
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Can you please share me some of the questions you faced in the exam

erki manniste

Feb 15, 2014, 12:50:46 PM2/15/14
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

NARENDER RANA

Mar 5, 2014, 1:44:22 AM3/5/14
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Ravindra

Mar 6, 2014, 12:03:09 AM3/6/14
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
yeah Tarun,  i second you on that point. you can not assure that a certified selenium professional will fit into the role you are looking for.

Regards,
~Ravindra

> >> --
> >> with regards
> >> RaghuNandan
>
> >> Do you know that it takes 10 litres of water to produce 1 sheet of A4
> >> paper?
>
> >> Don't print this unless you have to :)

aananthy t

Apr 28, 2015, 5:19:11 AM4/28/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Narender,

I am planning to take certification for selenium. Can you please tell about the VSkill material and questions? Is it worth taking this certification?

Mercious

May 4, 2015, 8:06:39 PM5/4/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
You guys seriously hire people just for developing Selenium-Tests?

Shouldnt it be possible to just tell one or two of your devlopers to do some research for a few weeks?

I mean ... if your application needs to support all possible browsers out there it could become quite the task to write tests for all those browsers. But in reality, most applications only need to support, say, basic browers. Someone commiting a few weeks to research could definitely write all required tests, dont you think?

And do you think Selenium-tests are really that important that you would hire someone for them? In the end, basic Backend-Unit tests can cover a lot of more testing a lot faster (as the backend usually does the actual work)

I mean no pun here, I'm seriously intersted.

Kabir Kashyap

May 6, 2015, 1:33:36 AM5/6/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Well said Mark. You cleared my confusion regarding selenium certification too..
Thumbs up to u buddy (Y)

Jitendra Verma

Sep 21, 2015, 9:52:05 PM9/21/15
to Selenium Users
I agree, but we have resources who has taken three months to apply most of selenium concepts on projects and followed every lab to learn Selenium.
Let me know if you need any resource?

NARENDER RANA

Oct 26, 2015, 8:25:13 AM10/26/15
to Selenium Users
Yes. There is an institution named Vskills providing certification in Selenium. Check out the practice test first.

Mark Collin

Oct 29, 2015, 6:57:29 AM10/29/15
to Selenium Users
There are no "recognised" Selenium certifcations.

There are however people who will happily take your money to provide you with a certificate that will mean nothing in the real world.

NARENDER RANA

Oct 30, 2015, 5:22:55 AM10/30/15
to Selenium Users
Hi,

The certificate is provided by a Govt. body (Vskills) which is wholly accepted. MNC's Like IBM, Accenture, Wipro and Mindfire solutions have jointly taken the certification. You can refer the below link for your reference.

NARENDER RANA

Oct 30, 2015, 5:24:10 AM10/30/15
to Selenium Users

Mark Collin

Nov 6, 2015, 3:58:09 AM11/6/15
to Selenium Users
By all means give them your money for a worthless piece of paper.

Andrew Jervis

Jun 28, 2016, 11:13:04 AM6/28/16
to Selenium Users
Can I suggest one route to certification in Selenium is to answer questions in this user group

You go to an interview and ask the interviewer to put your name in this user group

The interviewer can review your answers and make up his or her mind on your knowledge of Selenium

It provides complete transparency as well as helping the development of Selenium