Is it possible to attain 100% pass rate using selenium webdriver?

manoj ks

Apr 13, 2015, 9:17:02 AM4/13/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I am Using Selneium Web driver + Java + firefox and i am going mad with the behaviour of selenium.

I have currently 300+ tests currently running in CI which takes nearly 5 hours for the test execution to complete.

My concern here is, every time i see the results of the tests there will be around 5-6 failures out of 300 tests which are not application failures.

And these 5-6 failures i see are not consistent, meaning, there are no definite set of 5 failures i observe every time.

In each run i see different set of failures.

And yes, 3 in 10 runs i see 100% pass rate.

The exceptions i come across are mainly StaleElementReference exception and NoSuchElement exception.

And yes, i handled AJAX calls and have necessary explicit waits and implicit waits.

Is this the way selenium behaves? can we not get 100% pass rate consistently?

I know this question is way too generic. But i am really frustrated and would like to know am i the only one facing this issue or there are other folks as well.

Thanks in advance!

brandon garlock

Apr 14, 2015, 9:52:50 PM4/14/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
To answer your question as generically as possible I would say that getting Automated GUI tests to work consistently is difficult.

You seem aware of the common issues that I face when I see inconsistent results(ajax and waits). So I am going to throw the ball back in your court. When you pause execution on an exception, what state is the browser in? Should it be passing?

Chaitanya Pragada

Apr 17, 2015, 3:54:28 AM4/17/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
The first mistake u r doing is that running 300+ tests for 5hrs
why cant u split those tests into multiple threads(sessions) and make them to execute in less than 15mins
If there are random failures for a particular test means u may ignore
Try to execute the scripts 3 to 5 times in your local machine before deployment, so that we can cum to a assurance that at 9 out of 10 times will have success rate.