Problem running 0.7.1, xp, msie

fj

Apr 10, 2006, 1:12:22 AM4/10/06
to selenium-users...@googlegroups.com
i recently downloaded and unzipped 0.7.1, and am getting an error upon simply trying to execute the first google example in the tutorial. Please advise if i'm doing something wrong here, or if there's a legitimate malfunction here.
Thank you & regards,
- F.J.

my environment:

D:\data\downloads\qa\selenium\selenium-remote-control-0.7.1\server>java -version
java version "1.4.2_03"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_03-b02)

my os is xp pro sp1: Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
my iexplorer is: Version 6.0.2800.1106
msie default settings on all tabs & zones except:
no search from address bar.
no sites in any zones.

and here's the entire session, from startup to error.

D:\data\downloads\qa\selenium\selenium-remote-control-0.7.1\server>java -jar selenium-server.jar -interactive
Apr 10, 2006 12:28:40 AM org.mortbay.http.HttpServer doStart
INFO: Version Jetty/0.7.1
Apr 10, 2006 12:28:40 AM org.mortbay.util.Container start
INFO: Started HttpContext[/,/]
Apr 10, 2006 12:28:40 AM org.mortbay.util.Container start
INFO: Started HttpContext[/selenium-server,/selenium-server]
Apr 10, 2006 12:28:40 AM org.mortbay.util.Container start
INFO: Started HttpContext[/selenium-server/driver,/selenium-server/driver]
Apr 10, 2006 12:28:40 AM org.mortbay.http.SocketListener start
INFO: Started SocketListener on 0.0.0.0:4444
Apr 10, 2006 12:28:40 AM org.mortbay.util.Container start
INFO: Started org.mortbay.jetty.Server@22c95b
Entering interactive mode... type Selenium commands here (e.g: cmd=open&1=http://www.yahoo.com)
cmd=getNewBrowserSession&1*iexplore&2=http://www.google.com
---> Requesting http://localhost:4444/selenium-server/driver?cmd=getNewBrowserSession&1*iexplore&2=http://www.google.com
queryString = cmd=getNewBrowserSession&1*iexplore&2=http://www.google.com
Apr 10, 2006 12:29:00 AM org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection exception
WARNING: GET /selenium-server/driver/?cmd=getNewBrowserSession&1*iexplore&2=http://www.google.com HTTP/1.1
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess: /selenium-server/SeleneseRunner.html?sessionId=1144643340109 error=3

at org.openqa.selenium.server.browserlaunchers.RuntimeExecutingBrowserLauncher.exec(RuntimeExecutingBrowserLauncher.java:45)

at org.openqa.selenium.server.browserlaunchers.RuntimeExecutingBrowserLauncher.launch(RuntimeExecutingBrowserLauncher.java:3
7)
at org.openqa.selenium.server.SeleniumDriverResourceHandler.getNewBrowserSession(SeleniumDriverResourceHandler.java:198)
at org.openqa.selenium.server.SeleniumDriverResourceHandler.doCommand(SeleniumDriverResourceHandler.java:133)
at org.openqa.selenium.server.SeleniumDriverResourceHandler.handleCommandRequest(SeleniumDriverResourceHandler.java:119)
at org.openqa.selenium.server.SeleniumDriverResourceHandler.handle(SeleniumDriverResourceHandler.java:93)
at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1530)
at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1482)
at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.service(HttpConnection.java:816)
at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handleNext(HttpConnection.java:982)
at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:833)
at org.mortbay.http.SocketListener.handleConnection(SocketListener.java:244)
at org.mortbay.util.ThreadedServer.handle(ThreadedServer.java:357)
at org.mortbay.util.ThreadPool$PoolThread.run(ThreadPool.java:534)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess: /selenium-server/SeleneseRunner.html?sessionId=1144643340109 error=3
at java.lang.Win32Process.create(Native Method)
at java.lang.Win32Process.<init>(Win32Process.java:66)
at java.lang.Runtime.execInternal(Native Method)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:566)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:428)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:364)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:326)
at org.openqa.selenium.server.browserlaunchers.RuntimeExecutingBrowserLauncher.exec(RuntimeExecutingBrowserLauncher.java:43)

... 14 more
java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 500 for URL: http://localhost:4444/selenium-server/driver/?cmd=getNewBrowse
rSession&1*iexplore&2=http://www.google.com
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:791)
at java.net.URLConnection.getContent(URLConnection.java:585)
at org.openqa.selenium.server.SeleniumServer$3.run(SeleniumServer.java:263)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

fj

Apr 10, 2006, 10:57:30 AM4/10/06
to selenium-users...@googlegroups.com
No luck so far, Dan, but thanks for the response.

(note that line breaks here do not necessarily reflect how the lines were actually broken for me at my console - i just did a copy/paste, i didn't clean text up for this post first)

here's additional data:
msie is (and was) installed in its normal/default location - c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe.

if I run the initial example against msie, with no instance of msie open (same default config described earlier, note - connection/lan settings set to auto detect.), "cmd=getNewBrowserSession&1=*iexplore&2=http://www.google.com"

(btw - I'm literally pasting the commands from the documentation page, watching for leading/trailing spaces or eol's and cleaning as necessary after the paste, so these problems aren't due to typos).

msie opens to this url:
http://www.google.com/selenium-server/SeleneseRunner.html?sessionId=1144678450078
and the page content is:
Google Error
Not Found
The requested URL /selenium-server/SeleneseRunner.html?sessionId=1144678450078 was not found on this server.

at the same time, at the console I see this:
cmd=getNewBrowserSession&1=*iexplore&2=http://www.google.com
---> Requesting http://localhost:4444/selenium-server/driver?cmd=getNewBrowserSession&1=*iexplore&2=http://www.google.com
queryString = cmd=getNewBrowserSession&1=*iexplore&2=http://www.google.com
Apr 10, 2006 10:32:18 AM org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection exception
WARNING: GET /selenium-server/driver/?cmd=getNewBrowserSession&1=*iexplore&2=http://www.google.com HTTP/1.1
reg returned: 1
at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecTask.runExecute(ExecTask.java:591)
at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecTask.runExec(ExecTask.java:617)
at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecTask.execute(ExecTask.java:452)
at org.openqa.selenium.server.browserlaunchers.WindowsUtils.deleteRegistryValue(WindowsUtils.java:504)
at org.openqa.selenium.server.browserlaunchers.InternetExplorerCustomProxyLauncher.restoreOldRegistrySettings(InternetExplor
erCustomProxyLauncher.java:130)
at org.openqa.selenium.server.browserlaunchers.InternetExplorerCustomProxyLauncher.launch(InternetExplorerCustomProxyLaunche
r.java:80)
[...]

Now, with the msie open, if i check the connection settings, i have an additional setting selected. Auto detect checkbox is still set, but now the option to use a config script is also checked, and the path is this: file://D:/data/downloads/qa/selenium/selenium-remote-control-0.7.1/server/customProfileDir1144679226765/proxy.pac

Next, if I type "quit" at the console, src exits/shutsdown.
then, if i close my open instance of msie, and re-open it, checking the connection settings, i find they're still set to both auto-detect and use the auto config script.

It seems to me that the proxy settings should be reversible - if src changes my connection settings when it fires up, then it ought to put them back the way they were when it quits.

and no, it didn't work with ffox either, though i'd given it the path to the ffox exe.

OK, so continuing...
now i manually configure msie (doing the 'other browser' launch) -
i go to msie connection settings and explicitly disable auto detect, and tell it to use localhost:4444 for http, close msie.
goto console, start SRC, and enter the command you gave below to fire up msie (again, copy/paste).
I get an instance of msie with the same 404 error from google and page content as before.

the SRC console shows:
cmd=getNewBrowserSession&1=c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe&2=http://www.google.com
---> Requesting http://localhost:4444/selenium-server/driver?cmd=getNewBrowserSession&1=c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.
exe&2=http://www.google.com
queryString = cmd=getNewBrowserSession&1=c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe&2=http://www.google.com

and if, with the console and msie still open, i check msie connection settings, i find that my manual proxy settings are unchanged - i.e. autodetect is still disabled, and there's no pointer to a proxy pac file.

I'll keep experimenting... but that's what I've found so far in following up with your suggestions.

Thanks for your help,
Regards,
- F.J.

fj

Apr 10, 2006, 5:25:51 PM4/10/06
to selenium-users...@googlegroups.com
Dan -

an update, and some success. thanks for your ongoing help.

I checked, and reg.exe is showing the version you cite, i.e. ver 3.0

I have been able to get to google per the initial example, both in msie and ffox since my last msg. here are some notes about it:

I was on a vpn during my initial attempts to make this work, so clearly that was seriously throwing things off. That said, I'd also tried this from work where i'm not on a vpn, and had experienced problems as well, though i didn't post info about those problems to this forum.

I have, in my most recent attempt, been successful as i said. I'm not sure why this worked, exactly, but here's what i did. Not very good experimental design, unfortunately -- too many factors changing at once. nevertheless:

from work - no vpn - with msie connection set to auto-detect, i'd been unsuccessful. So, I manually configured the connection to proxy localhost at 4444, with auto-detect unselected. This worked.

after having done so, with SRC shut down and msie closed, i changed my connection settings for msie back to auto-detect again, and then tried again, but this time i was successful. note - i was using the internet connection settings "craplet" from the control panel to adjust the settings with msie closed.

so, i may be wrong here, but this "smells" like something was being stored or cached, perhaps, that was getting in the way of the proxy really working right for me. with msie opened via SRC, the connection now shows both the auto-detect and the proxy config file in effect, and once i quit SRC from the console, msie is returned to its original setting of 'auto detect' like it should be.

i don't know if this did any good either, but i took to executing "c:> ipconfig /flushdns" between attempts, in keeping with my suspicion of retained info causing problems.

I also tried firefox again. using the syntax without '*firefox', where i just give the explicit full path to firefox.exe (since mine's not at the default install location). My default setting is 'direct connection', which did not work.

i changed the ffox connection setting to 'auto-detect', and tried again. This also did not work.

i then manually set the proxy to localhost:4444, tried it, and it worked.

In this case, though, when I set the connection back to 'auto-detect' it once again did not work.

so, to try to boil this mess down to some sort of coherent thought:

1. msie, with default connection setting of auto-detect, initially failed for me (no vpn) but could be coaxed to work by manually configuring it to use the proxy settings at least once, then auto-detect would work on subsequent attempts.

2. it may be helpful to try flushing local dns. not sure about this, though, as i didn't do a controlled experiment for it.

3. firefox worked ok via manual config, but could not be coaxed to work with the auto-detect setting. my firefox is 1.07.

I will try this again from home tonight over my vpn because there will be times when it'll be necessary for me to test that way - over vpn - so that'll have to work for me also.

So i've definitely had some success with this now, though auto-detect seems to have its stubborn moments for both ffox and msie.

Thanks very much again, Dan.

- FJ