Suggest some blogs on selenium

167 visningar

Manish Bansal

oläst,
27 sep. 2015 13:24:302015-09-27
till Selenium Users
Hi Friends,

I am new to selenium and was searching for some blog which is helps me understand selenium and right way to automate, kind of right strategy to automate selenium, but unfortunately I found most of the blogs are just copy paste and some of them are just sharing the selenium user's guide code. not sure why even they are writing such blogs. if you know any good blog please share here which is not repeating or copy pasting just with the purpose of flashing some ads.

I found one which looks new blog, but very interesting, informative and they are just talking about strategy with code example instead of pasting the universal truth which everyone knows ;-)

I was reading Syn effectively and found it very useful

also some topic which will help you understand the difference between WebDriver and its implementation

Please share some more if you know some really good one.

Mark Collin

oläst,
28 sep. 2015 05:42:032015-09-28
till Selenium Users
The sync selenium effectively with time-outs blog entry is wrong!

Setting a page load time-out will not help your scripts sync, by default Selenium will wait until it believes that page has loaded, setting a page load time-out will make selenium stop after an arbitrary time limit.  The 2 minute time-out suggested in that blog is a waste of time because you are extremely unlikely to come across a page that takes 2 minutes to load (If you do, you should be throwing it back at the developer that wrote it and telling them to write it properly, not trying to automate it).

Setting a global implicit wait will slow your tests down if you are checking that something does not exist.  Generally you should never use an implicit wait.

Setting a global implicit wait *WILL* affect your explicit waits, they are connected, do not mix implicit and explicit waits.

Lets take a scenario where you have an implicit wait of 10 seconds and an explicit wait of 5 seconds checking every 100ms.  We are going to use our explicit wait to check that an element is removed from the screen within 5 seconds when you click on a delete button.  We perform a check to see if an element exists on the page, unfortunately when you invoke the explicit wait you will get passed over to the implicit wait handling for each check.  This means that the response for the first explicit wait check will take up to 10 seconds.  Our explicit wait will only wait 5 seconds before it times out and throws an exception, so even though the element has been removed as expected within the 5 second time-frame you will still see a time-out error because your explicit wait returned before the implicit wait (This is why you should never mix implicit and explicit waits).

Based on the authors misunderstanding of waits in Selenium I would not be inclined to recommend this blog to people starting out.

David

oläst,
29 sep. 2015 00:01:302015-09-29
till Selenium Users
On the subject of Selenium blogs, you can find a repository of such blogs here:

as started from this earlier post:

you may find a few more searching "blogs" in this Selenium group. Actual usefulness of content in those Selenium blogs will be up to the reader, but at least there is sort of a repo for finding and viewing blogs than to blindly search yourself. Some of the blogs may be for more advanced users.

And from the subject matter of your post, it would be more properly titled "suggest some blogs for beginners of Selenium" instead.

bhanu prakash

oläst,
29 sep. 2015 23:06:072015-09-29
till Selenium Users
Incredible collection of selenium blogs...Very good and helpful information.

CH!NN@ K

oläst,
30 sep. 2015 00:52:562015-09-30
till seleniu...@googlegroups.com

---
Thanks & Regards,
Purushotham Karimbedu,
Drupal Developer and QA Engineer,
Website for Selenium : http://techlearn.in
Phone no: 09000109120.

Sudhansu Sekhar panda

oläst,
30 sep. 2015 10:47:072015-09-30
till Selenium Users

Manish Bansal

oläst,
1 okt. 2015 13:38:462015-10-01
till Selenium Users
Hi Mark,
Looks like that's you thinking, not sure if you have tried them yourself, I used implicit wait as suggested in this blog post and it works like charm, scripts really wait until its finds the element or throws exception after the timeout, I am using this once while creating my driver instance and thats all, need not to use explicit wait everywhere throughout code.

The only point which this blog is making is Implicit wait is implemented at browser's end (the other side of selenium) thus selenium can not control that, it might not implemented for all browser. but again if you are aware about W3C they have already drafted WebDriver interface specification which have to be adhere by browser maker so even this problem also would going to get resolved.

Regarding page load timeout, it does not hangs up but help selenium wait until browser is loaded successfully, this is a life saver every time you navigate and browser gets loaded reloaded so this is must (atleast for me), regarding timeout value, its up to you. but apart from end user facing app, there are some serious business app, which takes time loading, and we must have wait until its loaded.

I would suggest give a try.

I am now following this blog quite often, there are another nice stuff SelenTable have come up.

Thanks,
Manish Bansal

Krishnan Mahadevan

oläst,
2 okt. 2015 11:49:502015-10-02
till Selenium Users
Manish,

Did you know that Mark Collins is part of the core Selenium development group? So if Mark were to be calling out something I would personally speaking pay attention to it.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

Manish Bansal

oläst,
2 okt. 2015 13:56:492015-10-02
till seleniu...@googlegroups.com

So what? Well we should pay attention to everyone irrespective of someone who have been a part of it.
Regarding Web driver i am not talking about selenium webdriver because its just interface the real implementation is with browse webdrivers.  And if that code works anyone would think that's a correct way and would try to help others.  Let me clear this am not taking favour of this blog,  its the user who should judge this,  I liked it so I was promoting, as I said am new to selenium and didn't get a chance to look into git repository or code. So am still learning.
Please no hard feelings,  its a discussion forum so just my views.

Btw,  thanks for writing,  happy automation.

Thanks,
Manish Bansal

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Selenium Users" group.

Krishnan Mahadevan

oläst,
2 okt. 2015 22:07:182015-10-02
till Selenium Users
Manish,

Interesting! You state that you aren't the author of the blog, but your words seem to suggest that you are vehemently defending the contents of the blog post ! Yes everyone is entitled to their views. No second thoughts on that. But when a selenium dev who knows the functionality, the codebase, the w3c spec more than anyone else, comes forward to correct something, I believe it makes sense to ponder a bit more.
I also did notice you shared the same blog to such an extent, that you ended up reviving year old dead threads and were even questioned by another forum member here about the intention behind spamming!

Well, did you know that things weren't this way from the beginning ? Its still not the case with IE, because Microsoft hasn't taken over with the so called real implementation of the browser's webdriver ? Firefox, chrome, IE all started off with the server components being built by the Selenium dev community. Knowing a bit of history and also the journey of WebDriver would help you!

>>>Please no hard feelings,  its a discussion forum so just my views
Yes it is a discussion forum. But please ensure that you do share views and NOT snap back! If you are wondering where you did that, you might want to go back and re-read your response again in this thread!

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

Manish Bansal

oläst,
2 okt. 2015 23:13:442015-10-02
till seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Agreed and apology,  will keep these things in mind while posting next time.
Thanks Krishnan.

-Manish

Mark Collin

oläst,
5 okt. 2015 06:54:262015-10-05
till Selenium Users
I'm not part of the core development group.

I have contributed some code to WebDriver, but I don't have the commit bit.
Svara alla
Svara författaren
Vidarebefordra
0 nya meddelanden