Releasing an open source tool that merges the power of Selenium with Requests - seeking for feedback

Martin Fagioli

Nov 22, 2017, 11:09:18 PM11/22/17
to Selenium Users
Hey guys,

With my colleagues we have just released an open source toolkit, called Requestium, which is intended to merge the power of Selenium and Requests when doing web automation tasks.

The main motivation behind this tool is that we found ourselves in a scenario where smoothly switching from Selenium to Requests, and vice-versa, was needed.

In a nutshell Requestium provides the following features:
  • Enables switching between a Requests' Session and a Selenium webdriver while maintaining the current web session.
  • Integrates Parsel's parser into the library, making xpath, css, and regex much cleaner to write.
  • Improves Selenium's handling of dynamically loading elements.
  • Makes cookie handling more flexible in Selenium.
  • Makes clicking elements in Selenium more reliable.
  • Supports Chrome and PhantomJS.
Hope you find it useful and would really like to hear your thoughts about it.

Link to Github repo here.

Thanks :)

David

Nov 27, 2017, 9:34:30 PM11/27/17
to Selenium Users
So this solution transparently under the hood syncs the sessions and cookies (across all domains during testing) between Selenium/browser and python requests instance?

And I see it mentions support for Chrome and PhantomJS. Are those the only supported browsers at the moment? Due to simplicity/support for implementation or priority was to target those browsers 1st? Just curious how much effort to tack on FF, Safari, and IE, and the mobile Safari/Chrome for Android/iOS. Although the last option should probably be a python requests + Appium integration (maybe that's something to add on in the future).