Selenium test random failures

Frantz D.

Sep 6, 2011, 8:43:16 AM9/6/11
to Selenium Users
Hi,

We are using Selenium with JUnit for some integration testing in a
continous integration environment (SVN, Maven, Hudson...)
The Seleniums tests are played every nigths, on our integration
server : Windows 7 - 64 bits, using IE 8.

We are facing the following problem : some times one of the tests
fails at random with the following error :
com.thoughtworks.selenium.SeleniumException: Timed out after 30000ms
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.HttpCommandProcessor.throwAssertionFailureExceptionOrError(HttpCommandProcessor.java:
97)
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.HttpCommandProcessor.doCommand(HttpCommandProcessor.java:
91)
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.DefaultSelenium.open(DefaultSelenium.java:
335)

The failure rate is less than 20%
We have checked the Weblogic server logs, there is nothing to worry
about here : the webapp anser correctly to the HTTP request.

What software component is the guilty ? :
IE 8 ? : (we think to check about the IE 8's "last active session" or
"session merging" functionnalities...)
Selenium RC : in a such environment ?

Is someone has experienced a similar problem ?
This a big issue : because ao it we cannot trust our integration
tests.

The cat takes my tongue...

Thank you.

Brian Kitchener

Sep 6, 2011, 2:39:34 PM9/6/11
to Selenium Users
It sounds like your web page is randomly taking more than 30 seconds
to load. Have you tried increasing the timeout?

I would recommend taking a screenshot on errors, so you can identify
the problem easier. looking at the web page it should be apparent if
the page loaded correctly or not.

Frantz D.

Sep 9, 2011, 5:37:20 AM9/9/11
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Sure, the page may take randomly taking more than 30 seconds
to load...but what software component is the guilty ? This is the question... (may be IE 8 or Selenium RC or Hudson...)

The page is very simple and very light (basic home page with a welcome message and the app version number).
We have check the weblogic server logs : the server always responds very quikly.
(Actualy, the page was always served almost instantanly.)
There is no errors in the server"s log files.

How to take a screen shot of the web page ? I really dunno, because the work is done in a remote server.
The Selenuim test is launch every nights by a Hudson's job using Maven.

And the pity is :  we cannot reproduce the issue in any DEV computers.
The problem only occurs on the remote integration server.
So, this why we are thinking about an environment issue.

any ideas ?

Thanks

Jayakumar C

Sep 9, 2011, 6:51:31 AM9/9/11

--
Jayakumar

Frantz D.

Sep 9, 2011, 12:19:46 PM9/9/11
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I have done something like you said.
But it dosen't help beacuse the Hudson process (and sub-process) is launched by a system user account with no graphic session opened, so the screen capture I got back is a pitch black rectangle ;-)

I'm currently thinking to surround each test's method by a try-catch-retry block...