Locating elements in IE browser

Chidananda M

Mar 30, 2015, 3:37:37 AM3/30/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

I am finding difficulties in locating the elements. Here are the ways we had explored to get the xpaths of the elements.

1.       IE developer tool: By Clicking F12 and CTRL + B, we will get DOM explorer but to get the xpaths from this is very difficult. We need to navigate to through the tags. Not able to verify the xpaths of the elements.

2.       Debug Bar: We can inspect the elements using debug bar but we can get only the ID’s of the elements. (Freeware software needs to installed and used). Not able to verify the xpaths of the elements.

3.       Using BOOKMARKLETS: These are JavaScript code that will be added in IE as bookmarks and later use to get the XPATH of the element we desire. Not able to locate the elements.

4.       Firebug Lite: This is also a bookmarklet which is written in JavaScript code. Similar to Firebug add-on of Firefox. Not able to locate the elements. Not able to locate the elements.

5.       HAPXPathFinder: This tool is used for easily find XPath for specific html elements in HTMLAgilityPack DOM. But using this also we are not able to get the xpaths.

6.       Fire-IEBrowser1.4: Uses Excel based WebBrowser Control. We need to give the URL and load the page. Point to a web element and get the xpaths. Since in our application we have frames, not able to locate the elements.

I could have taken the x-paths from IE if the element’s ID’s were to be constant but the ID’s are also dynamic and iframes are also dynamic which becomes even more difficult to get the correct xpaths. Since the above mentioned methods gives only the ID of particular element and no where we can verify the xpaths which makes even more difficult to capture the xpaths when compare to FF add-on and lots of our effort goes in finding the correct xpaths to each and every element.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.