Issue: Could not start Selenium session: Failed to start new browser session: Error while launching browser

Ananth Prakash J

Feb 3, 2011, 11:46:25 PM2/3/11
to Selenium Users
Hi,

The selenium server version I am using is 1.0.3 and the selenium
client version is 1.0.1.
The browser I use is *chrome.

I need to run the selenium tests in a remote machine (Linux) using ant
scripts.

When I run the selenium tests, in my local machine (Linux) the
selenium tests run fine. But when the tests kick starts in the remote
machine (which is picked up randomly as its in a distributed topology
environment), I see the following error being thrown:

Could not start Selenium session: Failed to start new browser session:
Error while launching browser

java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not start Selenium session: Failed
to start new browser session: Error while launching browser
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.DefaultSelenium.start(DefaultSelenium.java:
89)
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.SeleneseTestBase.setUp(SeleneseTestBase.java:
123)
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.SeleneseTestBase.setUp(SeleneseTestBase.java:
104)
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.SeleneseTestCase.setUp(SeleneseTestCase.java:
78)
at oracle.odi.repex.view.test.UITest.setUp(UITest.java:41)
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.SeleneseTestCase.runBare(SeleneseTestCase.java:
212)
Caused by: com.thoughtworks.selenium.SeleniumException: Failed to
start new browser session: Error while launching browser
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.HttpCommandProcessor.throwAssertionFailureExceptionOrError(HttpCommandProcessor.java:
97)
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.HttpCommandProcessor.doCommand(HttpCommandProcessor.java:
91)
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.HttpCommandProcessor.getString(HttpCommandProcessor.java:
262)
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.HttpCommandProcessor.start(HttpCommandProcessor.java:
223)
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.DefaultSelenium.start(DefaultSelenium.java:
81)

I searched the net for possible solutions. I got three of them.

1. Change the browser value from *chrome to *firefox
When I do this, I see the below error:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Improper setup : *firefox is not a
supported browser. Use one from [*piiexplore, *chrome]
at
oracle.odi.repex.view.test.setup.SetupConfig.getSeleniumBrowser(SetupConfig.java:
189)
at oracle.odi.repex.view.test.UITest.setUp(UITest.java:41)
at
com.thoughtworks.selenium.SeleneseTestCase.runBare(SeleneseTestCase.java:
212)

2. Setup a firefox profile in the machine and then run the tests.
I cannot do this, as the machine in which my automated tests will be
executed is picked up at random by the DTE environment. So my hands
are tied here.

3. Set the DISPLAY variable. Tried this too but the tests hang
forever.

I need to resolve this issue soon. Any help, would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards,
Ananth

Chenwei Ma