Not able to open Internet Explorer 11 with Python Selenium with IEDrivers

Robert Marquez

Aug 17, 2017, 10:39:42 PM8/17/17
to Selenium Users
I am pretty new at python and having regained the fun with coding again. I used to avoid programming in the past, but with a new outlook started to tackle python again and enjoying it. Now for the question:
I am trying to get python selenium module to open a Internet Explorer 11 browser but seem to having a bit of trouble.

I first started with the latest IEDriverSErver.exe v3.5.0 with enabled protected mode enabled for all the security zones and the registry FEATURE_BFCACHE subkey DWord value to 0.

I would run the following code

from selenium import webdriver
driver
= webdriver.Ie()`

And get an Error

     Message: Invalid capabilities in alwaysMatch: unknown capability named platform.

Next I tried to use IEDriverServer.exe v3.4.0 with the same settings and get the a different error, but the IE11 browser would open, but I can't control it due to error

Message: Unexpected error launching Internet Explorer. IELaunchURL() returned HRESULT 80070005 ('Access is denied.') for URL 'http://localhost:56039/'

If anyone has any tip, tricks, help, or pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Learning Python Programmer
Python 3.5.0
Selenium 3.5.0
Internet Explorer 11 Version 11.0.9600.1872CO
IEDriver 3.5.0 and 3.4.0