[off topic] How did you get into automated testing?

T.J. Maher

Jul 1, 2015, 10:31:32 AM7/1/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
So, how did you get into automated testing with WebDriver?

Were you a manual tester who made the switch into automation, and learned Java / Python / C# on the job?

Or were you already a Java developer who was intrigued by software testing?

-T.J. Maher
 Sr. QA Engineer, Fitbit
 // Automated tester for [3] months and counting

Shawn McCarthy

Jul 1, 2015, 11:17:59 AM7/1/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
I was a setup/configuration and manual tester, who had/has a degree in Computer Science. Another company saw I was in the QA field with a programming background, so they hired me to help create their test automation framework and write automated tests.

David

Jul 2, 2015, 1:45:47 AM7/2/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
You'll probably find more of the former than the latter case, unless by Java developer, you mean someone who knows Java and started with it in QA for test automation, etc. rather than a formal Java software developer who helped write (not functional/end user test) enterprise level software applications. Because that's another case - those that know programming but didn't start in manual testing nor official software development but in between directly in test automation, etc.

T.J. Maher

Jul 10, 2015, 3:05:06 PM7/10/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
... For me, even though I've been a manual tester for quite some time, I'm on my first paying gig writing Java code. Man, it's been years since writing coding assignments for grad school. So much I have forgotten and I am re-learning now!

Back then, we were taught only Java 5, I think? I've been cramming Java 6, 7, and 8 into my brain, along with design patterns, TestRail information, IntelliJ shortcuts, and troubleshooting failing tests by reading Jenkins logs and SauceLabs videos.

-T.J. Maher

Shawn Knight

Jul 11, 2015, 11:35:36 PM7/11/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
I am a software developer that happens to write automation (by choice) -- In my past work,I have written and maintain enterprise applications, done production support. Until one day I was approached by a QA manager to become an automation engineer (long story there) -- I somewhat standout among the other automation engineers, because I speak about coding designs and applying good coding practices, including SOLID within our frameworks, while driving test readability. I have witness most automation engineers are manual tester first, then moved into automation.