When the PageFactory for .NET will definitly die ?

Jonathan Herbaut

Apr 14, 2018, 2:18:37 PM4/14/18
to Selenium Users
Hi !
I use Selenium everyday and like to have an updated version.
I saw that the PageFactory is obsolete and have to load the new DotNetSeleniumExtras to have this functionnality working in future.
The question is : When do you think the PageFactory will be removed from the published libraries ?
Thanks in advance ! :)

Jim Evans

Apr 15, 2018, 10:41:46 AM4/15/18
to Selenium Users
There is no concrete time line for removal. There needs to be adequate time for people to make the migration to the new library. However, the question I have is, “Why does it matter?” Once you’ve made the transition, when the actual removal happens is immaterial.

Jonathan Herbaut

Apr 17, 2018, 4:49:17 AM4/17/18
to Selenium Users
Thanks for your reply ! ;)
The things that matter for me is that the DotNetSeleniumExtras project has only one branch (master) and there is no owner today.
For the moment, I feel like that someday I will have issues when upgrading Selenium main library and this new project.
I'm working alone on QA in my firm for 3 different projects. I have to upgrade my browsers in my Selenium Grid, my servers, upgrade my existing tests, write more tests, validate builds for new install, watch that nothing goes wrong with my Nagios server ... and I don't want to have problems about dependencies when the PageFactory will be removed (I already have a lot of problems with IE, Edge and Safari...).
Maybe I'm totally wrong about this new project, and maybe I'm missing something about the ecosystem I have build. I prefer to wait and see what will be done on this project before include it into my process (maybe a Nuget package :P). That's why I asked this question :D