Any harm in removing default timeout in EdgeDriver?

Always a student

Feb 23, 2018, 6:48:53 PM2/23/18
to Selenium Users
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for the help.

I am clicking on a file upload button. All the browsers click on it and the File upload dialog opens (the OS one) and then the control moves to next line of code but its different on Edge. On Edge, the click is a success and the file upload dialog opens aswell, but it hangs for about 60 seconds and then throws an exception " The HTTP request to the driver timeout after 60 seconds). I researched a lot to know why this is happening and how to prevent it. I had no success in that regard. :(

In the mean time, I came accross a post on stackoverflow that said I can remove the default timeout in EdgeDriver, which is set to 60 seconds by default. Currently I am just catching exception and moving on but I still am having to wait for a minutes, which translates to, if I have 100 test cases, will have to wait an additional 100 minutes. that is too much. Hence I tried to reduce the timeout to say, 5 seconds using below line. My questions is, is there any harm in touching the default timeout? I have my own extension methods that I am using to wait to elements for the time I want. I am not dependent on this default timeout set in driver. Still, is there any harm in removing the default timeout or reducing it to say, from 60 to just 5 seconds?

By the use, I am using the C# bindings.

DriverContext.Driver = new EdgeDriver(edgeDriverService, options,TimeSpan.FromSeconds(1));

Thanks