Can Selenium actually do parallel testing???

Nef Rey

May 4, 2015, 2:26:23 PM5/4/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hope one of you gurus out there have an answer.

I have used selenium WebDriver and have been able to remotely run more than one browser test  in one system and same test on two different systems.

However, the tests are running in sequence and not in what you would call in parallel.  When tests complete in one system, then the other system starts and so on.
Can the tests themselves run in parallel or at the same time in two different systems (at least).  There is quite a lot of documentation stating that it can be done, but no examples anywhere

Does it require multithreading to send two instances of the test suite to the hub????  I have no problem doing this, but need to know so I don't waste time writing code if there is an easier way.

By the way,  I'm using Unit Test from Visual Studio and selenium WebDriver.

Any help is appreciated.
NR

Shawn McCarthy

May 4, 2015, 4:28:08 PM5/4/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
There is nothing stopping you to run your tests in parallel, but it is the job of the test runner, not selenium.  Try googling for "parallel" and "Unit Test Visual Studio".

andrius...@gmail.com

May 4, 2015, 6:55:57 PM5/4/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You can use NUnit 3.0. It's still under development, but you can run tests in parallel in testfixture level.

krishnan.ma...@gmail.com

May 4, 2015, 8:44:22 PM5/4/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Parallel execution is an attribute of the test runner and has got nothing to do with selenium.

If you are able to run a regular xUnit test in parallel then you should also be able to do it for selenium tests.

Sometime back I wrote up a blog post which shows you how to do this in Java.

https://rationaleemotions.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/parallel-webdriver-executions-using-testng/

Hope that can help you get started.

-Krishnan Mahadevan

"All the desirable things in life are either illegal, expensive, fattening or in love with someone else"

Nef Rey

May 4, 2015, 9:40:05 PM5/4/15
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com

Thank you guys:

That's something the Selenium site should be explicitly stating rather than implying parallel testing with their grid.  I believe that I have been misled.  I may write my own executer in C# or use NUnit .

Thanks again.